What will blow up first--safety check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just so u are aware of the joke, it's an Australian who won't be around for long, again Temporary Australian, think about it.

wide eyed and legless said:
First off your not a new brewer, secondly you do know about health and safety, why post a picture of how you brew when you know what the response would be?
Blind Freddie would be able to pick faults with he picture you posted
Sorry about my previous post, "that shit is retarded" just got to me for some reason. Offensive and far from constructive.

Yes, you are right. I have been brewing for over a year. Stove-top extracts and partials, but this was my first full volume AG with a gas burner.

Why post a picture? Um, to find out something I didn't know, like concrete explodes. Which seems like something a number of others didn't pick up on. Yay, learning.

People can have a laugh at my tangled power cord, I guess I don't really care. Again, you are right, trip hazards can be a pretty serious thing around that much boiling liquid. I probably wouldn't have bothered to tidy it up if people hadn't accosted me for it either.

I was referring to the OP as the Temporary Aussie, not you.

I drink from the fermenter, but not to get pissed, just to taste, at least that's what u tell AA.

I was referring to the OP as the Temporary Aussie
Quite a possibility to be a "Temporary Aussie" OP when I see your pic in the original post so at the very least do the wheel rim thing.

House bricks are a danger to anyone attempting what you've done but must admit that I used them when doing gravity yonks ago but always with a thick sheet of Burnie Board in between the house bricks & the concrete.

Fire bricks are the brewer's friend. Google it! :)

In the old days you would sit you 3 ring burner on the verandah with a cut down keg on on top and boil away....and hope that nothing caught fire and burnt down he house......

Well, this has turned into quite the thead!

TidalPete said:
Quite a possibility to be a "Temporary Aussie" OP when I see your pic in the original post so at the very least do the wheel rim thing.

House bricks are a danger to anyone attempting what you've done but must admit that I used them when doing gravity yonks ago but always with a thick sheet of Burnie Board in between the house bricks & the concrete.

Fire bricks are the brewer's friend. Google it! :)
Yes I'm very glad I've got it off the ground since the first picture. It may just 'extend my stay' in Australia.

I did some reading on fire bricks, mostly in regards to building ovens. A lot of folk seem to opt for the lesser quality but cheaper, standard red-brick. I assume this is what the bricks I am using are made of. Others in this thread have indicated that standard brick should be ok, though fire bricks sound like the go for 100% safety and are good to keep in mind (or an eye out for). I'll probably end up going down the metal stand route once I upgrade; Next brewday I'll use the metal wok shield which would probably have been the smartest option from the get-go.

S.E said:
Getting back to the op I don’t see a great deal wrong with the set up, a few minor safely issues but nothing a competent person should be overly worried about.
The exploding concrete is possible but I think unlikely those wok burners are commonly used on concrete and tile work tops in HK. I use mine directly on the concrete patio paver and have done so in the same spot for years and there’s not even a mark. I just flamed up my burner for five minutes and the paver didn’t even get warm, Ill try to remember to feel it after I brew next and see how hot it gets after an hour or so. The cement on the bricks may pop off if exposed to the flame so I would chip it off or turn it away from the flame.
Thank-you for the confidence, S.E.! I might be completely wrong but, I'm under the impression that many peoples' brew-days involve drinking beer, which is something I don't do myself until flame is out and all hot liquid is siphoned to where it should be. So perhaps competence is in the eye of the beer holder.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I put my hand under the raised grill plate while the flame was still on and it did not seem hot enough to me to cause issue with the concrete below.

Will definitely clean off the cement from the bricks, or find some around which do not have any on them.

carpedaym said:
Well, this has turned into quite the thead!

Yes I'm very glad I've got it off the ground since the first picture. It may just 'extend my stay' in Australia.

I did some reading on fire bricks, mostly in regards to building ovens. A lot of folk seem to opt for the lesser quality but cheaper, standard red-brick. I assume this is what the bricks I am using are made of. Others in this thread have indicated that standard brick should be ok, though fire bricks sound like the go for 100% safety and are good to keep in mind (or an eye out for). I'll probably end up going down the metal stand route once I upgrade; Next brewday I'll use the metal wok shield which would probably have been the smartest option from the get-go.

Thank-you for the confidence, S.E.! I might be completely wrong but, I'm under the impression that many peoples' brew-days involve drinking beer, which is something I don't do myself until flame is out and all hot liquid is siphoned to where it should be. So perhaps competence is in the eye of the beer holder.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I put my hand under the raised grill plate while the flame was still on and it did not seem hot enough to me to cause issue with the concrete below.

Will definitely clean off the cement from the bricks, or find some around which do not have any on them.
I actually preferred the setup in your first picture, the grill plate balanced on bricks with the pot balanced on yet more bricks looks a bit unstable to me. Go for it if it’s not too wobbly but maybe get a proper stand made up for the long term.

The more I think about it I wouldn’t be concerned about standing the burner on concrete when I think about all the brick and concrete based BBQ’s and wood fired ovens I’ve seen and used.

Safer than the grill plate balancing act I reckon.

You have to ask yourself - why does concrete blow up?

It's the water trapped within. Especially if they used porous gravel in the mix. Concrete that's been allowed to stand wet and allowed to properly dry should be just fine. Exactly how much one knows about a random paver's construction though is debatable.
Bricks and fire bricks work well enough because the water has been expelled.
Having said all this I won't try to sit a hot anything on pavers or bricks that have been soaking in rain or whatever.

right ive just cleaned this thread please stay on topic.

barls said:
right ive just cleaned this thread please stay on topic.
Why were my posts deleted did I say something that upset you again? I thought it was all just a bit of friendly banter between members while discussing the safety of the op brewery.

S.E said:
Why were my posts deleted did I say something that upset you again? I thought it was all just a bit of friendly banter between members while discussing the safety of the op brewery.
off topic post were hidden as they were off topic.

barls said:
off topic post were hidden as they were off topic.
I can’t remember what was said in most of them but surely the last one I made about seeing wok burners being commonly used on concrete work surfaces in Hong Kong is very relevant to the topic?

It's a public holiday. Just understand and move on.

Back