What will blow up first--safety check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't tell me, after the boil has finished you lift the 23litres of boiling hot wort up onto the bench so you can run it off into a cube? ..........while wearing shorts and thongs...........

OP: I had a recent thread on here when setting up for my first AG full size batch, good advice in there in relation to the stability of your pot and what is a good height (ie. only just enough to be above a cube is good). Was lucky enough to get a free metal stand in the end for my keggle as well as fire bricks. But my intermediate setup as you can see in the thread if you scroll back up was to use a stone paver on top of the cinder/besser blocks which did not seem to get overly hot at the end of a lengthy boil (my burner is not that strong so takes loads more time than it should).

Thread is here with pics of my current setup http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/76132-50l-keggle-3-ring-gas-burner-cinder-besser-block-stand-safe/page-2#entry1149762

pcmfisher said:
Don't tell me, after the boil has finished you lift the 23litres of boiling hot wort up onto the bench so you can run it off into a cube? ..........while wearing shorts and thongs...........
Yep, I did indeed. Wasn't really too heavy, but I think I've got that sorted for next time anyway (below). Shorts and thongs, eh... I'll save them for the kit brews...

DJ_L3ThAL said:
OP: I had a recent thread on here when setting up for my first AG full size batch, good advice in there in relation to the stability of your pot and what is a good height (ie. only just enough to be above a cube is good). Was lucky enough to get a free metal stand in the end for my keggle as well as fire bricks. But my intermediate setup as you can see in the thread if you scroll back up was to use a stone paver on top of the cinder/besser blocks which did not seem to get overly hot at the end of a lengthy boil (my burner is not that strong so takes loads more time than it should).

Thread is here with pics of my current setup http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/76132-50l-keggle-3-ring-gas-burner-cinder-besser-block-stand-safe/page-2#entry1149762
Thanks DJ. That looks like where I need to be to brew safety.

I've just sourced some besser blocks so that will get me off the ground, high enough for siphoning the wort without having to shift the kettle.

pcmfisher said:

I have to do that every brew at the moment, 3 tier system under a low patio roof had it's limitations and the boil kettle stand is low.

It's not that bad, silicone gloves and ensure you have nothing in the way.

pcmfisher said:
I just worry about the handles giving way on the pot.

That's actually a good point, I use a keggle at the moment but will be upgrading for double batches in the next few months, could be interesting.

pcmfisher said:
Very good point.

Back in the days when I was 3Ving I had a stockpot as HLT on an electric hotplate on the floor. Once the water was hot enough I would lift the pot up to add the water to the esky up on the bench.

It happened what had to happen eventually and I had a load of mash out temp water right over my foot. I was wearing sneakers, and that bloody shoe heated up so much that it kept burning my foot until i realised and took it off. Ran straight to the pool to cool off, but there is still (fortunately only) a little bit of discolouration left.
Needless to say I radically changed my brewing setup that same day.

Glad you got it sorted now, carpedaym.

Back