What will blow up first--safety check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed AG for 8 years with bricks as a stand for my kettle on a concrete back porch....you'll be right. Lose the BBQ plate thing....that's a drunken trip hazard if ever I saw one :lol:

Clay bricks have been fired at high temperature and should have no problems. I use them under my Rambo burner ATM. Cinder block or other composition blocks and the like have not necessarily been fired and shouldn't be used.

sp0rk said:
That should be alright for now, but the my earlier suggestion is a great little stand you can throw in the car and take to brew days if need be
Yeah thanks Sp0rk. Would love to build one of those, but my programmers fingers have a hard enough time with a screw driver, let alone a welder.

I'd lose the concrete paver too. A few fired brick pavers from bunnings worked for me and some cement sheet underneath.

If you wanna play it safe you'd be better off going electric:

darwinism.JPG

Bricks are fine, hence why they make chimneys and outdoor BBQ's with them, just anything concrete is a big no go you may get away with it and I am sure some do but why risk it,

one bit of hot sharpnel to the left nut and your wifes going to stop letting you brew, safety never sleeps, unless of course it's been drinking first

The bricks will be ok but the cement still stuck to the two in your picture may not be. You should be able knock it off with a trowel or hammer.

Mate not shoure why you took the covering off looks like mineDSC_0125.JPG
If you want something cheep try Hebel.
I paid around 6$ a piece X3 for these.
DSC_0124.JPG
Good luck.

Others suggested to me years ago to use a BBQ hot plate to sit your burner on if you need to brew on concrete. The theory was that the heat would be dispersed more evenly and make it difficult to form hot spots in the concrete.

I personally thought the orange cable spaghetti monster looked cool.

As mentioned above, use a piece of cement sheet & wrap it in tin foil (it acts as a reflector). I've done this with a 4-ring burner standing on fibreboard (admittedly, it's on a stand) & had no problems.

Edit: I just checked whilst I was out in the shed getting a beer & it's actually 2 cement sheets wrapped in foil.

StalkingWilbur said:
I'm calling troll. That shit's retarded.
^ and to a couple of others too:

Thank goodness this forum is somewhere a new brewer can feel comfortable asking questions and advice, especially when safety related. Heaven forbid somebody should become hesitant to ask, for fear of ridicule by more experienced brewers looking for some sort of an ego kick... :unsure:

Scooby Tha Newbie said:
Mate not shoure why you took the covering off looks like mine
For some reason I thought the bottom of the pot would be too far from the flame with it on, partly because the wok burner would have been designed for a round-bottomed vessel. I might give it a go next time and see whether it's any slower while getting up to a boil.

The brick setup is actually pretty sturdy, as only 3 are contact points with the pot, the others are wind-shields.

S.E said:
The bricks will be ok but the cement still stuck to the two in your picture may not be. You should be able knock it off with a trowel or hammer.
Thanks mate, good spotting. I didn't even see that.

Camo6 said:
I'd lose the concrete paver too. A few fired brick pavers from bunnings worked for me and some cement sheet underneath.
I do have some fired brick pavers actually, I'll add them into the mix for next brew.

Worth noting that after I reached a good boil I slowly & carefully put my hand underneath to see how hot it was on the cement (seeing as, aside from trip-hazards and incorrectly filed TPS reports, concrete blowing up seemed to be the biggest issue) ; it actually wasn't very hot and I don't imagine it would be a problem, even though the burner was only about 6" from the ground.

First off your not a new brewer, secondly you do know about health and safety, why post a picture of how you brew when you know what the response would be?
Blind Freddie would be able to pick faults with he picture you posted

Brother, feel free to ask away, that's how we learn. People are going to give you a bit of ribbing with a pic like that, so don't stress it. :beerbang:

wide eyed and legless said:
First off your not a new brewer, secondly you do know about health and safety, why post a picture of how you brew when you know what the response would be?
Blind Freddie would be able to pick faults with he picture you posted
You have a nerve criticising the safety of someone’s brewing equipment, you cask condition your beer in a non pressure rated cube don’t you? :huh: :lol: :ph34r:

wide eyed and legless said:
I certainly do Sean, and most of it I got from you.I have even started drinking out of my secondary fermenter.
Most of mine often goes from primary to glass these days with only the last 15-20 litres making it to cube. :huh:

Back