What Was Your Staple Beer "before" Hb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Country Victoria = Melbourne Bitter. Loved it pre homebrew, love it now. I grew up drinking this beer and it is still a staple in my fridge.

Cheers
Bagnol

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale... I could not get enough of it. Now, it is not hoppy enough for me. Actually, I do not think i can taste any hops in it anymore.

I think my first Australian beer was VB... it was recommended to me by some liquor shop worker. I almost spit it out of my mouth when i first drank it. I am not a big fan of it.... after that, I would drink Little Creatures Pale Ale, whereever i could find some.
If you ever find somewhere that stock Sieraa Nevada PA, please let me know. I love the stuff. mate bought me back some years ago. I hear its also got a great brewrey tour.

If you ever find somewhere that stock Sieraa Nevada PA, please let me know. I love the stuff. mate bought me back some years ago. I hear its also got a great brewrey tour.

Try Purvis Wine Cellars in Surrey Hills. 03 9888 6644. They have a massive selection.

Yep, my youthful experiences were full of Bud, Coors, Miller and more often cheaper crap than that! When you can buy a 6 pack for less than $3 and are on a tight budget, you don't hear a lot of complaining.

i hear you BB,
whilst travelling through the U.S,we sampled many of the cheapies.inc old milwaukee.schlitz,milwaukee best,and many others that where under $10/case, we loved it when we could grab it from the service stations when filling up.

My staple beer was beer; I'll drink any beer on the planet.
Of course some are better than others, but i don't really care.
Just put a beer in front of me. :)

i hear you BB,
whilst travelling through the U.S,we sampled many of the cheapies.inc old milwaukee.schlitz,milwaukee best,and many others that where under $10/case, we loved it when we could grab it from the service stations when filling up.

Ahh, I do miss cases of beer for $9.99. Haha, there are some stinkers out there! The mention of those beers brings their taste to my mouth. One of the better ones was a beer from Mexico called Tecate. They had 30 pack cans for $19.00 and easy to take camping.

That being said, good beer is usually under $30/case, compared to spending $55-$65/case for microbeers here. It's not their fault, taxes, excises and cost of production is high for them. I still try and support them, just not to the volume I'd like to.

BB

Country Victoria = Melbourne Bitter. Loved it pre homebrew, love it now. I grew up drinking this beer and it is still a staple in my fridge.

Cheers
Bagnol

Yeah,

weaned on the stuff. Moved to the city to go to Uni and flipflopped to VB.

About 5 years ago I developed an affection for Coopers Sparkling that lasts till this day and if I'm going to go with Mega, avoid it though I try... well I actually dont dislike Carlton Draught even though I know I probably should.

TB

Grew up on Amstel and Heineken.. If I must buy here it's got to be the Coopers sprakling!

Mine was Carlton Cold :eek: about 10 years ago, and Tooheys new. A few years later didn't mind the occasional "silver bullet" :) . About 5 years ago started drinking more Coopers and Belgian beers :D . Nothing like a really good strong beer. Hooegarden is definitely one of my favs in summer.

Some VB, though I never claimed to have really enjoyed and a lot of Coopers SA which got me thinking further.

Like a lot of Melburnians in the 80s I more or less got a good beer education at the late-lamented Loaded Dog Hotel and Brewery in Fitzroy. Was a great place to kill a Thursday night or Sunday arvo. :beerbang:

Beers by that open fire used to be magic in winter. :super:

Warren -

I used to drink VB and Melbourne, then I got into the Ales, Coopers of course, and Tooheys Old. Old remained my staple for some time. Now having brewed and tasted many fine homebrewed Porters, I can't stomach Old any more. Still like the Coopers, tho, but now I prefer the Dark and B.E.S over the Pale and Sparkling.

Coopers Stout, Sparkling and Pale. All of which are still popular for a change.
Don't mind their Mild on tap for a pint or two with lunch of a work day either - not a great fan of it in bottles though.

Tooheys Old (even now on a night out if nothing else is available) and the occaisional XXXX gold since my tradie mates insist on using it as a form of currency.

Can't believe I am about to admit to this but...

I was a diehard VB drinker as soon as I turned 18. Took me about 6 months to actually "like" it though. That was what all the tough guys in the seniors footy team drank...Tooheys New drinkers got bagged out for not being able to handle a beer with taste!!!! Funnily enough, a few seasons in and people went more up market and started drinking TEDs. :blink:

When I went to the US I loved all the beer you could buy from the supermarket. Mainly drank Millers GD. Couldn't believe my luck that Corona was so cheap. It was all about quantity. Back then, I thought Sam Adams had a "funny" taste. Must have been because I had never really had a beer before. Only tried it because Russel Crowe recommended it to me when I met him in LA.

It is true that youth is wasted on the young. What I wouldn't give to be able to hop on a plane back over there and sample all the beers I ignored because they were a little bit more expensive.

The shame, the shame.

Now if I have to buy a case, it's usually Coopers Pale, or whatever Euro lager is on sale. And, for the record, the guys in my soccer team mainly bring along Tooheys New for after the game. If it's hot I'll have one if offered. :ph34r:

Cheers,
Thommo

Melb Bitter, Carlton Draught or VB. winner :p

CUB had the market cornerd.

I remember buying slabs of Tooheys Red 30 block cans tho for under $20 and im only 28y.o.

I don't think I've had a staple beer since i was 16. Anyway, for an underage party dude you couldn't go past Carlton Cold. It was cheap, and more importantly it was cold filtered.

Mind you it wasn't homebrew that got me off the Carlton Cold's (and I'm sure I'm not alone) it was a desire for beer with flavour.

Melb Bitter, Carlton Draught or VB. winner :p

CUB had the market cornerd.

I remember buying slabs of Tooheys Red 30 block cans tho for under $20 and im only 28y.o.

I saw them in a Campbells store in Richmond this year for $16...

Raised on XXXX because I couldn't spell and the good old Bulimba made at the Toowoomba Brewery also the occasional Gold Top. Was always looking for better taste though, early attempts at HB didn't improve the taste then I visited Ferel Brewing in WA then Grumpy's in SA and Red Hill in VIC. Then discovered the likes of Little Creatures and many of our other fantastic micro brews.

That was it, straight into AG. Ahhhh! taste at last.

My staple was definitely Coopers. I've drunk a looooooot of Coopers in my time. So much so I think I'm on a bit of an enforced Coopers break at the moment!

Nowadays when I buy beer I usually buy lagers since just about all my brews are ales. Price is important to me - I often go for what's on special and around the $40 case mark. Bitburger, Lowenbrau and Steinlager pop up frequently.

I used to drink Tooheys Old or Coopers Pale Ale still like having them now and then.

Latest posts

Back