What Was Your Staple Beer "before" Hb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in my teens it was emu bitter mainly because that was a staple beer in the perth market and it was cheap.

once i was actually old enough to buy beer legally i switched between emu bitter, coopers pale and hahn premium (used to taste better than it does now) but used to mix it up with whatever different stuff they had up at the como bottleshop in 6-packs such as grolsch in the swingtops (ah the memories), becks, heineken, etc. i went off some of these when they started brewing in australia as the taste disappeared.

at work they have a beer fridge which opens on friday afternoons for all staff and contains either TED or Pure Blonde.

needless to say i take this opportunity to go home early and pull a pint of something tasty :chug:

I'd use to drink just about everything when I was young

New, VB, Red, Old, even tasman bitter ;)

Later on I moved to the dark beers - usually guiness at uni or old at the local

Before moving onto homebrew I discovered coopers sparkling - which remian my staple for a while - i never appreciated coopers pale until recently

I really regret not moving into brewing earlier

I've got an amarillo apa on tap at the moment and i'm in love with it :wub:

Beer, beer - glorious beer!

I'm slowly converting my friends over to home brew and have recently got some "this is really nice beer" comments with my AG attempts

Cheers

Carlton Draught for 16 years ... haven't tried to replicate its taste with a homebrew though!

Now, if I have to buy a case, it's Coopers Sparkling Ale.

Like so many others the 'Green Soldiers' (VB) and Tooheys Old were commom purchases for me. For a while there Cold Filtered beer was apparently desireable to me :blink: . Hmmmm How your palate can change. I can still drink mega swill, I just can't enjoy it. :lol:
Cheers
Doug

*sigh*

Started with Cairns Draught then Fosters then VB then XXXX Gold then Crown Lager then Carlton Draught.

Spent some time working OS, it was either Miller Light, Fiji Bitter and Bintang. Anywhere in SE Asia it was either Tiger or Carlsberg.

Time for a Vienna to cleanse my soul :beerbang:

ok i will admit it was Southwark the green lable not that poofy blue lable rubbish!
come to think of it it was rubbish back then but hey at 90 cents a long neck whos complaining.

do any of the south aussie guys here remember the good oll 1991launch of "eagle super" "eagle blue"and the one that lasted as long as the smell off a fart "eagle bitter" boy that was the crappiest stuff i ever tasted. i think from memory they gave away a packet of pannadol with every six pack or is the sick pack.

what about the beer called copperhead dose anyone remember that one ? who made it where did it go that was as good as redback .

tc

Didn't mind Extra Dry for a while, but I usually got Tooheys New to start with. My staple for the first year of uni in the way of alcohol was Passion Pop [$10 for three, 8% AbV] and Strongbow Cider.

Haven't bought a case since last year, and started brewing this year in March. No looking back :beerbang:

I used to drink a lot of VB when I commenced my drinking career.

Then I moved onto a beer called Hahn Longbrew. I got onto this as it was advertised that it wont fill you up and make you bloated, which was perfect as we used to drink till we spewed or the esky was empty.

Steinies (steinlager) in NZ, carlton cold here (can't drink the cold anymore, tastes like soda water to me now).
Still don't mind a steiny every now and again, but the buggers always overprice it....:(

XXXX Bitter ;-) ...we love it up here!

...still useful for a for a quick buzz ...and less hangover effect than XXXX Gold! (which is, in my opinion, akin to diluted dishwashing detergent).

I didn't even drink beer until about a year and a half ago. Only drank strongbow.

Bought a homebrew kit to make cider and ginger beer and it had a lager kit in it. Made that up (as a test with dextrose) and tried to get the step son to consume it all. He happily drank all bar twelve in the few days over christmas that he was home.

To get the bottles empty I then drank it and thought that it wasn't too bad. Started sampling various lagers and then started making beers.

So I've probably never really had a staple beer.

tooheys old mostly, tooheys new occasionally. Gradually moved to the 'premiums' and 'importeds'...

Drank pretty much anything for the first half a dozen years, not really knowing any better, VB, red, new, TEDs. Even when in the old dart refused to drink "that warm, flat shit" :( (Being 17 probably had something to do with it)

By the end of first year uni decided that I should start trying some different beers, started out with a couple of kits and now on to partials and some AG, by the end of second year (last year) can't even come at any of the stuff I drank through first year.

Nowadays I drink tooheys old, unless i can get something better (not a lot of choice out here in the country), as my staple when at the pub with my uni mates. Slowly trying to convert them, got most of them to move to old now, actually had one ask me to do him a batch of my APA the other day, success!

I was a very typical VB drinker. Every thing else was crap. Coopers? Muddy Murray river water. Fosters? Only for the old blokes. Imported beer? Gay.

Oh how my taste buds (and attitude) have been changed by the wonderful world of home brewing!

...ditto! :ph34r:

19-25y old VB and more VB.
Since then I drink anything....anytime...any where
What's the number for AA

matti....I have a cunning plan!
When I win tattslotto, I'm gonna spend the lot on Fosters shares - dividend reinvest and when I'm the majority shareholder, I'm going to takeover the Abbotsford brewery invite the entire forum over and put some real beer through that brewery!!

Interested?

Cheers,
TL

I put in for that winning ticket hehehehe

Before I started homebrewing a year ago I usually drank Resch's pilsner or carlton black/old.
Im a young bloke, and if i had a dollar for every barman telling me Resch's was old mans piss id be rich.
Now I stick mainly to euro beers or coopers. :beerbang:

I refused to drink beer until i was 18. I had tried some fairly horrible beers in the past (VB, West End) and it really put me off. My first staple beer was CPA, then homebrewing naturally flowed on from that!

I owe a great debt to my father. He's from the north of England, and his greatest legacy to me is that I grew up knowing what beer actually tastes like.

Back