What To Do With These Leftovers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jear

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First thanks for a great forum. Since starting brewing about 6 months ago I've enjoyed the info on here heaps.

I've got some leftovers building up so I was just wondering if I might be able to do something with them. As I've only got 6 brews under my belt so far I don't yet have any idea what I could turn them to.

Here's what I've got

2.5kg of DME
80g Amarillo hops
40g Cascade
few packets of can yeast (I usually buy US05)

That's probably nothing compared to the leftovers that some of you guys have but last week I put on my first 60L batch of a golden/amber ale and whilst I'm in the swing of things I'd like to do another.

Any suggestions about how (with a few additions/subtractions of course) I can turn this into something? Looking around the 23L mark or less and any style considered.

Thanks
Jear

You have some pretty good ingredients to make an APA there. I assume you're wanting to make a full extract brew ie: no kit? Download a trial copy of Beersmith and play with the hopping rate/amounts. IMO Amarillo & Cascade go really well together. At a guess Id say 20g Amarillo @60 mins then a mixture of Cascade/Amarillo along the lasy 30 mins of your boil. Without knowing the full details of how you plan to do it (boil volume/gravity, and AA% of the hops) We'd be pretty much guessing at the quantities

Here's what I've got

2.5kg of DME
80g Amarillo hops
40g Cascade
few packets of can yeast (I usually buy US05)

Any suggestions about how (with a few additions/subtractions of course) I can turn this into something? Looking around the 23L mark or less and any style considered.

Thanks
Jear
That there looks like the beginnings af a typical APA. Have a dig through the Recipe database for American pale ale recipes, and that will give you heaps. Also, it would be good to note if you are brewing kit/extract/+steeping/AG methods to better inform you of applicable choices relevant.

If you are steeping grains, perhaps adding some Crystal and you could be free and clear onto something. Or if you are on the mega-swill wagon, leave out most of the hops, add some sugaz, and you're there.

edit: last point made in jest...

What you have is sufficient for about 18 litres of APA at OG of about 1.050.
Get yourself some medium crystal, and you're good to go.

Assuming you can do a full volume 60 minute boil, try something like this:

2500.00 gm Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 90.91 %
250.00 gm Crystal Grain 9.09 %
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.3 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (60 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops

Maybe try something like this. You'll need some extra fermentables to get the gravity up, or reduce the beer to 20L and start at 1046.

Maybe add some crystal, or do a partial. But here's an idea

2.50 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)

5.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (45 min)

10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (45 min)

15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min)

15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (20 min)

20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (5 min)

20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)

1 Pkgs American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05)

Edit: Formatting.

Warra's looks the goods

Get some dex in there to up the starting gravity to about 1.056 and that sounds like a winner.

+1 on the use of some sugaz/dextrose. This should also bring your FG down to get rid of the big body I've found dry extracts give

+1 for sugars to up the OG. if you use a majority of those hops (or all og themn) you wont noticeany flavours the sugars might throw.

keep in mind im talkig about table sugar. although you could quite as easi;ly go to the supermarket and buy some malt extract or dex ionstead of table sugar

What you have is sufficient for about 18 litres of APA at OG of about 1.050.
Get yourself some medium crystal, and you're good to go.

Assuming you can do a full volume 60 minute boil, try something like this:

2500.00 gm Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 90.91 %
250.00 gm Crystal Grain 9.09 %
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.3 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (60 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops
+1 have done 2 all extract APAs with 1kg dex and found with plenty of hops you can't really tell

Wow, thanks for the great response everyone. Much appreciated. Looks like I'll go with Warra's suggestion and I double checked the cupboard and seems I missed the 500g of dex sitting in there!

Once again thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back