What To Do With A Tooheys Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So IMHI ... if you're looking for more body and flavour ... start steeping some grain. You'll also start to learn how to handle grain and how much it adds to the brew.

Already doing that mate!

Didn't want to start a new thread on this, seeing as this topic was already kinda covered in this one, but a fair few weeks ago I was given a Tooheys Draught kit. It took me a while to put it down and when I did it (due to past experience) I purposely brewed it at a high temp (around 26-28C).

At bottling, it smelled hugely of banana, and I over-primed (went for 170g for a 22L batch) and have just cracked one and it's significantly better than the first time I tried the Tooheys goo.

If anyone is trying a Tooheys draught, I'd be brewing in the high temp range. It will taste nothing like their commercial stuff (and all the better for it) and will be significantly better than if you follow the instructions on the can.

EDIT: I must also add that I didn't fine or crash chill this one (I thought it was a lost cause) but I think the murkiness/high yeast density has added to the taste/covers up the Tooheys kit taste even more.

Interesting comment there Bullfrog ... I put down a Tooheys Dark Ale (w 500g LDM + 500gm Dex) on Friday and stuck the fermenter in the fermenter fridge with the Coopers brew that i did at the same time ... the Tooheys brew didn't even start showing any signs of fermentation until two days later I let the fridge temp go up from 16 to 20 degrees.

Interesting comment there Bullfrog ... I put down a Tooheys Dark Ale (w 500g LDM + 500gm Dex) on Friday and stuck the fermenter in the fermenter fridge with the Coopers brew that i did at the same time ... the Tooheys brew didn't even start showing any signs of fermentation until two days later I let the fridge temp go up from 16 to 20 degrees.

Hi Rob,
Mate, let us know what you think of the results. The brew i made had a bit better taste after about three weeks in the keg, but still no head.

Cheers, Ivan. :icon_cheers:

Back