What To Buy From American Craft Breweries?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starkesbier

Reaction score
I am off overseas for a week or so and have the opportunity to bring back some of the following list of beers :icon_drool2: . As I will be limited in the amount I can bring back I need to sort the good from the bad and the ugly. All opinions much appreciated.

Gordon BierschCzech Style PilsnerBlonde BockHefeweizenMarzenFestBierSummerBrauBallast PointCalico Amber AleYellowtail Pale AleBig Eye India Pale AleBlack Marlin PorterWahoo Wheat BeerSculpin India Pale AleVictory at Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter * *Anderson ValleyBoont Amber AlePoleeko Gold Pale AleHop Ottin IPABarney Flats Oatmeal StoutBoont Extra Special BeerSouthern Tier422 Pale WheatIndia Pale AlePhin & Matt's Pale AlePorterChoklat Imperial StoutStone BrewingPale AleIndia Pale AleLevitation AleOaked Arrogant ******* AleRuination IPA

Cheers
Starkesbier

Where abouts are you going?

Of those breweries, ballast point, southern tier and stone are the best.

Russian River Brewing Co has got some beauties I love redemption

Where abouts are you going?

Of those breweries, ballast point, southern tier and stone are the best.

I'm going to the Philippines (a former american colony). Found an importer that will deliver to my hotel room. very nice :icon_cheers:

Ah ok, so you are just limited to those. The whole Stone range is exemplary. Ballast point get some good reviews, and of those Southern Tier beers only really Choklat excited me though the IPA is solid too.

Check out Beer Advocate for more reviews!

Anderson Valley is pretty meh. Stone have a couple of amazing beers but none are on that list. Can't speak for most of those Southern Tier beers but the ones that I've had have made me want to try more. Never tried the other two.

Zymology had top USA rated beers in current issue. I'd be looking at those.
Russian river rocks. Don't forget the Canadian beers also

Russian river rocks.

Yes. They do in deed rock. As do all of their beers.

RRtasting.jpg

What, this old thing? Oh, it's just all of their beers. They were very nice.

Yes. They do in deed rock. As do all of their beers.

RRtasting.jpg

What, this old thing? Oh, it's just all of their beers. They were very nice.

Dude, I hate you... :icon_drool2:

:lol: ... no need to apologise, bum. I'm only a lot jealous when I look at that pic. One day I'll get back over there

Russian River beers are awesome.

Pliny is very good, Consecration is better but as for Supplication :icon_drool2:

Went to Ballast Point too - their Sculpin IPA is great

Stone's Ruination is really good too.

I drowned myself in IPA's when I was over there but it all depends on what style you want.

i love a taster tray that provides an implement for lines afterwards. beats rolling up a $100 bill.

Southern Tier & Anderson Valley are available here imported by Innspire and would/should be available at the better craft beer bottle shops in Brisbane.

Those Stone beers are also here but as "grey market" imports. The Oaked Arrogant ******* was awful but the other three were still really good, especially the Ruination. As you can see Gordon Biersch focus is on German styles and not exactly very highly rated.

So that leaves Ballast Point. Stock up on Sculpin IPA and Victory At Sea. Then send me a bottle of each:)

I am staying in an apartment above the Rogue public house just across the bay from the Brewery for 15 nights from the 1st Sep.
Stroll down the steps at 11.00am and crawl up the steps at 11.00pm. What a way to go.

Just miss the Great American Beer Festival in Denver but will plan my trip next year so I can attend that as well.
Hope to get a few guys from the Newcastle area and try and do a 14 day tour from Portland Oregon by road to Denver. Heaps of breweries on the way.

Dogs

i love a taster tray that provides an implement for lines afterwards. beats rolling up a $100 bill.

That implement looks a lot more sturdier than a rolled up $100 bill would be, just lay it flat on the paper and scribe your pencil along one side and presto; a straight line. :p

Latest posts

Back