Qabc 2010 - Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ross. I'll definitely be re-brewing the APA. I actually entered a Stone and Wood clone, but didn't know what category to enter it in. APA seemed the closest fit. I was shocked to see it come third, given the quality of brewers in Queensland who worship the APA style!

Cheers - Snow.
Yes Snow,

I judged it. We couldn't believe that none of the other beers seemed to hit the mark and push you out of 3rd place....You sat in there at 3rd place for about 6 or 7 beers till the end. Not bad for an out of style beer.... :icon_cheers:

It was a good beer, but we hammered you for it being passionfruit central and a bit one - dimensional.
I think I said to my fellow judge - "This tastes as though it's been brewed as a Stone & Wood Clone."

So on those grounds, you did an awesome Job, but will have to rebrew with some more malt complexity and alter your hop schedule a bit to have any chance at the Nats.

I'm glad that rule about 60% has been removed, you'll do us proud mate. :icon_chickcheers:

PB

Yes Snow,

I judged it. We couldn't believe that none of the other beers seemed to hit the mark and push you out of 3rd place....You sat in there at 3rd place for about 6 or 7 beers till the end. Not bad for an out of style beer.... :icon_cheers:

It was a good beer, but we hammered you for it being passionfruit central and a bit one - dimensional.
I think I said to my fellow judge - "This tastes as though it's been brewed as a Stone & Wood Clone."

So on those grounds, you did an awesome Job, but will have to rebrew with some more malt complexity and alter your hop schedule a bit to have any chance at the Nats.

I'm glad that rule about 60% has been removed, you'll do us proud mate. :icon_chickcheers:

PB

Why is being passionfruit central a problem?

If you read the whole post it makes sense. Sounds like it had heaps of passionfruit but didnt have the malt and bitterness to balance or back it up. .....? My take on it only. FWIW I reckon Snow can adjust.

Brad

If you read the whole post it makes sense. Sounds like it had heaps of passionfruit but didnt have the malt and bitterness to balance or back it up. .....? My take on it only.

Brad

Thanks for your take on it. I did read the whole post. Yes one dimensional could be a fault but the post specifically mentioned passionfruit, hence my question.

BTW for those of us that got tied in third could we find out if we need a beer based of

D8. Tied scores
. In the event of tied scores in determining the first three placegetters,

placings will be resolved either by the judging panel during judging or using a progressive
countback until the tie is resolved based on: a) highest score for Overall Impression; B)
highest score for Flavour; c) lowest range of individual judge scores (smallest spread of
scores across panel); d) the judging panel will be requested to resolve the tie.

Not much time left if we need to get brewing :unsure:

Cheers
Starkesbier

I actually entered a Stone and Wood clone, but didn't know what category to enter it in. APA seemed the closest fit.

I'm wondering if I did a similar thing... my only entry was an almost-clone of a beer listed as an example in the style guide, so I entered it into that category. But on rereading the descriptions, it doesn't really belong there (clone or not).

Oh well, wasn't expecting a first place or anything -- just hope the feedback is more than "out of style" ;-)

Yes Snow,

PB
Thanks PB. I guess your tastebuds are well calibrated, as you totally nailed it. Fear not, I will be brewing a markedly different beer for the AABC entry :D

Cheers - Snow

Grant Noble here. I was a first time entrant into the competition and placed third in the Porter category (needless to say, I'm stoked!). And reading through the posts here, I see that you can rebrew for the Australian competition. Unfortunately, as I'm about to go overseas for two weeks, I simply won't have time to rebrew and enter. Someone else will have to take my place. Best of luck to all!
Cheers!

Thanks for your take on it. I did read the whole post. Yes one dimensional could be a fault but the post specifically mentioned passionfruit, hence my question.
The one dimensional was the issue...the passionfruit is fine.....but that's all we could get out of it.
As I said - it was good...I'd be happy drinking it.....just not really "to style."

I also look forward to tasting the re-brewed beer.

Congrats again Snow,

PB

Guys

The 3 tied places for third have now been amended as per the AABC guidelines for splitting ties.
Apologies for not noticing before posting the original results - Only the top 3 from each catergory qualify for the Nationals unless somone drops out.
We will be contacting all quallifiers to ask their intentions, so we get maximum entries into the Nationals
Final results here View attachment QABC2010___Results_By_Style.html

cheers Ross

I'm wondering if I did a similar thing... my only entry was an almost-clone of a beer listed as an example in the style guide, so I entered it into that category. But on rereading the descriptions, it doesn't really belong there (clone or not).

Oh well, wasn't expecting a first place or anything -- just hope the feedback is more than "out of style" ;-)
Stl and other comp entrants,

I don't write "not to style" on score-sheets without backing it up......I usually write why I beleive this is the case and tips on re-brewing it better.

On the day I actually suggested which style I believed the beers were closest to if they were off by a mile.

I'm happy to discuss individual beers that I judged from the comp with people (be quick - I might forget)....I'm learning all about this Judging caper and welcome feedback on if you think we were way off, spot on, or just want something clarified or explained in more detail.

I judged APA'a and Porters :icon_cheers:

Grant Noble here. I was a first time entrant into the competition and placed third in the Porter category (needless to say, I'm stoked!). And reading through the posts here, I see that you can rebrew for the Australian competition. Unfortunately, as I'm about to go overseas for two weeks, I simply won't have time to rebrew and enter. Someone else will have to take my place. Best of luck to all!
Cheers!
Haven't you got any of the current batch left? It would be fine to enter.

Dave Clarke (PB)

I'm happy to discuss individual beers that I judged from the comp with people (be quick - I might forget)....I'm learning all about this Judging caper and welcome feedback on if you think we were way off, spot on, or just want something clarified or explained in more detail.

+ (2-1) to what he said.
I judged pale ales so when you get your results sheets feel free to use the email address supplied or pm me here.

I might struggle to remember your beers right now but with the judging sheets we can talk for sure :)

Stl and other comp entrants,

I don't write "not to style" on score-sheets without backing it up......I usually write why I beleive this is the case and tips on re-brewing it better.

On the day I actually suggested which style I believed the beers were closest to if they were off by a mile.

I judged APA'a and Porters :icon_cheers:

Haven't you got any of the current batch left? It would be fine to enter.

Dave Clarke (PB)

No! They were my last two in 750ml bottles, I only have stubbies left!!!!

No! They were my last two in 750ml bottles, I only have stubbies left!!!!
Straight from the rules published on the AABC webpage:

D5. Bottles. Each entry must consist of a single bottle of at least 500 mL in volume or two smaller bottles to make up at least 500 mL. Both glass and plastic bottles are acceptable.
Bottles should not have any unique identifying features other than possibly a batch code on
the bottle cap.
:rolleyes:

Go for it,

PB

Straight from the rules published on the AABC webpage:

D5. Bottles. Each entry must consist of a single bottle of at least 500 mL in volume or two smaller bottles to make up at least 500 mL. Both glass and plastic bottles are acceptable.
Bottles should not have any unique identifying features other than possibly a batch code on
the bottle cap.
:rolleyes:

Go for it,

PB

Woo Hoo! Thanks, you've made my day!

Is there any word yet on when the entries to the national comp need to be received by?

Also, if we are planning on re-brewing, is there any chance we can see the judging feedback sooner?

I was planning to re-brew tomorrow, but I will hold off until getting the feedback if there's enough time.

Cheers,
tallie

Same here. My Aussie Premium Lager was Diacetylville on kegging, faded out a bit and presumably cleaned up in the CPBF bottles before judging - however the keg is sequestered and I don't really want to disturb it unless I really have to, so I too will be going on the scoresheets. :icon_cheers:

Edit: if there is even a hint of D and I get a diacetyl nazi at the Nationals then I'm a goner :lol:

Is there any word yet on when the entries to the national comp need to be received by?

Also, if we are planning on re-brewing, is there any chance we can see the judging feedback sooner?

I was planning to re-brew tomorrow, but I will hold off until getting the feedback if there's enough time.

Cheers,
tallie

>BUMP<

:icon_cheers:

Indeed Snow!

Evidently I'm not the only one looking to circle a day on the calendar, but it would be good to get the feedback before starting yet another batch of it! (One re- brew is underway already...)

Yep i'd also like to get some feedback before my next brew day this weekend... came 5th in American Pale... so not for the nationals, but would like to know how to improve things...

I reckon i know anyway (therm was not calibrated and mashed too hot leaving the beer too sweet) but would be good to confirm. Surprised it got that far up as i find it cloying.

:icon_offtopic: double - double brew day this Saturday IPA and Landlord :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back