What to brew - Galaxy and Ella flowers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goatfish

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm about to jump in to the world of all grain having got tired of extract. I have had some Galaxy and Ella flowers sitting in my freezer for a few months now and wondering if any one could give some pointers on what other hops Ella goes well with as I've never used it. I'm most likely to brew an apa or ipa.

Cheers

I brewed an APAish beer with Ella and Cascade (Aus) recently. It was excellent. I used a single cube hop addition, equal quantities of each, to get to about 30 IBUs.

Pretty sure I dry hopped with a little citra as well.

Probably should add I used pellets not flowers. I've never used whole flowers.

Goatfish said:
Hey guys,
I'm about to jump in to the world of all grain having got tired of extract. I have had some Galaxy and Ella flowers sitting in my freezer for a few months now and wondering if any one could give some pointers on what other hops Ella goes well with as I've never used it. I'm most likely to brew an apa or ipa.

Cheers
Id personally be using the galaxy late, ella for flavour and something like Centennial or Cascade (or something neutral like German Magnum) early for the leg work on the IBU

been using ella all the way through the boil for four strong ales 7.28-9% but not with galaxy as I ran out, the best combo for me so far with the ella has been with vic secret, I imagine galaxy would be fantastic as my best all grain beer to date was galaxy all the way through, so there you go???

all these have been with marris otter pale ale base and some crystal

pellets here too btw

cant go wrong I reckon

I brewed an american wheat with these hops that came out pretty nicely. Basically 50%, wheat 50% pils, 25ish IBU and american wheat yeast.

Thanks guys, I'll dial some bits and pieces in to beersmith and see what I come up with.

Latest posts

Back