What The Hell Am I Doing Wrong?...weizen...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletotoro

Reaction score
any one tell me where i'm going wrong please...
recipe as follows
3 kg barley malt (grain)
1 kg wheat malt (grain)
1 kg dried wheat malt (powder)

yeast ..dunno the name ..the new dried yeast jobbie?
Hallertauer 90 g @ 1/2 hour (2.2 a/a) which is about 15-20 ibu's

mashed at 66/c
made up to 22 litres

fermented at 20/c

tastes ok ...just...

i'm gettting pineapple flavour??????????...where the hell is this coming from ...also its about 6.5 % i was a aiming for 5%
please help...
thanks simple totoro

any one tell me where i'm going wrong please...
recipe as follows
3 kg barley malt (grain)
1 kg wheat malt (grain)
1 kg dried wheat malt (powder)

yeast ..dunno the name ..the new dried yeast jobbie?
Hallertauer 90 g @ 1/2 hour (2.2 a/a) which is about 15-20 ibu's

mashed at 66/c
made up to 22 litres

fermented at 20/c

tastes ok ...just...

i'm gettting pineapple flavour??????????...where the hell is this coming from ...also its about 6.5 % i was a aiming for 5%
please help...
thanks simple totoro

IBUs seem a touch high, aim for 7 - 15 or so. Also try less hops for longer, hop flavour hasn't got a place in a weizen so next time bitter with a smaller addition at 60 minutes to really let the yeast flavours shine. Lots of fermentables which would explain the alcohol percentage, maybe drop the barley malt down next time.

Perhaps the perceived pineapple taste is a result of interplay between hop and yeast flavours. I haven't used the new dried yeast so I can't really say much about it, but pineapple sounds a bit strange. Although I remember distinct pineapple aromas after opening a packet of Wyeast 3638 once.

Hope this helps.

aiming for 5% you could almost ditch the malt powder and just mash the 4kg of grain.. you may need a few more grams to reach your targets.

hops, 60 min boil. and bitter it up a little bit more.

Pineapple can be an early sign of oxidation.

5kg of grain in the mash sounds a little high, and with good extraction efficiency I am not suprised you got 6.5%
I dare say the powdered stuff would have had a high extraction efficiency just 'cos its powdered.

Tradition for a German wheat beer is that there has to be at least 50% wheat in the beer. If you want to be authentic, I suggest dropping some of the pale malt next time.

Berp.

Just wondering whether the "Hallertauer" is genuine German stuff, or New Zealand. New Zealand hops tend to be a little different to their German cousins, this could explain where some of the fruitiness is coming from. Also, you did not mention whether the fermentation was temperature-controlled.

In fact New Zealand Hallertau and Pacific Hallertau both bear little resemblance to Hallertau Mittlefruh, from which they were bred. They are triploid seedlings.

MFS

thanks for the replies...

Pineapple can be an early sign of oxidation.

hmmm .... :(

Also, you did not mention whether the fermentation was temperature-controlled.

yep got temp control on fridge so she maintains an even temp...will look into
whether the "Hallertauer" is genuine German stuff, or New Zealand.

will also of amount of fermentables in recipe....

thanks everyone will let you know how next brew comes up...
cheers simpletotoro

I recently kegged a pale ale and it has a really strong resemblance to pineapple juice except with a bitter aftertaste. I used about 180gms of cascade (from a batch i had not used previously) along with about 35 gms amarillo and some perle for bittering. The yeast was WLP007 English ale II fermented in the fridge at 21 degrees, anyone care to take a stab at where this flavour came from?

Simpletotoro, did the pineapple flavour mellow out over time in your beer?

I've done a little poking around on wikipedia and this is what I've found.

Pineapple flavours may be associated with the esters methyl, ethyl and butyl butyrate.

These compounds are all formed by reactions between butyric acid and meth/eth/but'anol (With the ethanol/ethyl butyrate being most likely in beer)

Butyric acid can be produced by the fermentation of starch and sugar by such bacterium as:
* Clostridium acetobutylicum
* Clostridium butyricum
* Clostridium kluyveri
* Clostridium pasteurianum
* Fusobacterium nucleatum
* Butyrivibrio fibrisolvens
* Eubacterium limosum

Hope this sheds some light on the problem!

I recently kegged a pale ale and it has a really strong resemblance to pineapple juice except with a bitter aftertaste. I used about 180gms of cascade (from a batch i had not used previously) along with about 35 gms amarillo and some perle for bittering. The yeast was WLP007 English ale II fermented in the fridge at 21 degrees, anyone care to take a stab at where this flavour came from?

I back Acetaldehyde, sure it's not green apple, can be caused by yeast or infection, check your tap/lines.

I've done a little poking around on wikipedia and this is what I've found.

Pineapple flavours may be associated with the esters methyl, ethyl and butyl butyrate.

These compounds are all formed by reactions between butyric acid and meth/eth/but'anol (With the ethanol/ethyl butyrate being most likely in beer)

I'm leaning towards this being the issue.. Do you think the flavour will mellow out over a period of time or should i just dump the lot?? It was my first attempt at all grain so i am pretty attached to it, and am hoping it will come good!!

I wouldn't chuck it out straight away. If it is bacterial it's not going to get better, but just to be sure I'd hang on to it as long as possible.

180g of cascade and 35g amarillo -welcome to pineapple/citrus/pine needle territory! No off flavour there, just too much cascade/amarillo

180g of cascade and 35g amarillo -welcome to pineapple/citrus/pine needle territory! No off flavour there, just too much cascade/amarillo

Pine Needle territory ! Bloody Nora its a whole pine forest !!!!!!

Back