What Temperature For Bottle Conditioning/carbonating?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanox

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have my first batch conditioning/carbonating in a cupboard in the laundry. It is a constant 14 degrees celsius.
It has been 2 and a half weeks and it's only showing faint signs of carbonating.

Is this too cold?
I've looked all around the net for a while and have gotten a lot of differing opinions.

It is an extract Bavarian Wheat beer.
Also, there is a lot of whitish sediment at the bottom. is this the yeast or the sugar drops?

I'd appreciate any advice
I can take photo if helps.

Thanks!
Brendan

It will take a long time to carb up at 14C be better at 18-20

The whitish stuff is probably the yeast. You could try giving the bottles a gentle shake and warm them up a bit.

Wheat beer tends to be a bit cloudy anyway.

Hi guys

I have my first batch conditioning/carbonating in a cupboard in the laundry. It is a constant 14 degrees celsius.
It has been 2 and a half weeks and it's only showing faint signs of carbonating.

Is this too cold?

Also, there is a lot of whitish sediment at the bottom. is this the yeast or the sugar drops?

it really depends on the yeast to selected mate, ale yeast will take longer to get the job done at those temps, lager yeast not so bad so I suspect an AAle Yeast... I have 4 batches in the garage ATM, all ale yeast, they are taking their sweet sweet time about it too.. but Ive brewed them for summer so I have a bit of patience... just

the sediment is likely to be sleepy yeast, it can help inverting the bottle a few times to re-suspend the yeast into the beer, you shouldnt be able to see the disolved sugar except when you invert the bottle and look through it into a light, you can see it in solution as a kind of syrupy swirl.. this can give you an indication that there is still sugars in it..

if I want a few in advance these dys I sit them on top of the fridge which has a little alcove so it stays a bit warmer there, invert them a few times over a week or so and theyre good to go, always green as though and I always wish I didnt :rolleyes:

you will need patience if you cant get them warmer, rule of thumb is, understandably, ferment temps for canbonating

[edit] spilling/beaten

Great, thanks for your responses guys. Big help!

I've moved them to a warmer place and given them a little invert/shake action to reactivate the yeast.

There is still a lot of yeast sitting on the bottom of the bottles tho (I have some clear bottles so I can see easily). Should I give them a little shake every few days to get that stuff active as well? Or will that happen by itself?

Great, thanks for your responses guys. Big help!

I've moved them to a warmer place and given them a little invert/shake action to reactivate the yeast.

There is still a lot of yeast sitting on the bottom of the bottles tho (I have some clear bottles so I can see easily). Should I give them a little shake every few days to get that stuff active as well? Or will that happen by itself?

They will be fine, no need to shake the shit out of it, if there's sugar in there, the yeast will eat it and excrete C02 and Alcohol from whatever oriface they have, and then you will put it all in your mouth.
2 and a half weeks at 14c will make them cold and lazy, so your bubbles will take longer, but they will still carb eventually, long as your priming rate was correct and you didn't under prime (now you're questioning yourself if you have put in enough sugar and thats why they're not fizzy)

keep them at room temp 22-24c for a week and a half, then move them to your 14c area for a couple of weeks.

The chill them down for 24 hours, crack one open, and tell yourself how nice your instant beer is.

Enjoy

Fingers

Yep cool beer finger! Will do.
Can't wait to get that yeast excrement in my mouth!

I'm not quite up to bulk priming yet. But I definitely put a little lolly in every 375ml bottle :)

Next time I'm going to make one beer a plastic bottle so I can feel the pressure of carbonation.

thanks!

Also, checking out your blog. Looks cool!

Back