What (or Who) Is A Blonde?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Is "blonde" a beer style or is it just a marketing term?

Cheers,

Chris

Definitely a style... Belgium Blond (or Blonde - french spelling) Ale.

Readily available commercial example would be Leffe Blond.

Is "blonde" a beer style or is it just a marketing term?

Cheers,

Chris
In a nutshell, you've got Belgian (and canadian?) Blondes... then you've got all those low carb blondes.... don't go thinking they're the same thing.
Go to Dan Murphy's and grab a Leffe Blonde, and a Pure Blonde and compare.

Have the Leffe first to really drive home how shite the Pure is. ;)

Definitely a style... Belgium Blond (or Blonde - french spelling) Ale.

Readily available commercial example would be Leffe Blond.

Sorry, I'd have to disagree. The term "blonde" is and has been applied across various styles of beer.

Sorry, I'd have to disagree. The term "blonde" is and has been applied across various styles of beer.

I don't entirely disagree with you - it is certainly a bastardized term... however it is listed as a style in the BJCP...

strictly speaking brendo would be correct - http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf

but you can also use blonde as a colour descripotion (also pointed outin the bjcp).

unfortunately Devo is correct in pointing out that shitty megaswill companies have poached the term and applied it to all sorts of beers like low carb beers etc.

'pure blond' isnt an accurate description of what a blonde beer should be. IMO as it doesnt even have the blonde colour appearance.

strictly speaking brendo would be correct - http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf

but you can also use blonde as a colour descripotion (also pointed outin the bjcp).

unfortunately Devo is correct in pointing out that shitty megaswill companies have poached the term and applied it to all sorts of beers like low carb beers etc.

'pure blond' isnt an accurate description of what a blonde beer should be. IMO as it doesnt even have the blonde colour appearance.

yep... fair points... nice when everyone is right :icon_cheers:

If anyone who has traveled across Europe can attest that the locals tend to call or name beers simply by colour and appearance.

In a nutshell, you've got Belgian (and canadian?) Blondes...

No such thing as a Canadian Blonde as a separate beer style, but the BJCP does recognize a separate, generic, blonde ale style. To be honest, there really is no distinctly Canadian beer style at all. We closely mirror the US in many things, beer included.

In a nutshell, you've got Belgian (and canadian?) Blondes... then you've got all those low carb blondes.... don't go thinking they're the same thing.

On a recent holiday with family who are strictly mega swillers, after days of me quaffing Lowenbrau and my own batch of American Pale I was handed a very cold bottle of Pure Blonde. Now being so cold the first sips didn't taste of much, bit watery, minor levels of bitterness (perhaps PoR, not 100%), beer but nothing special. By half way and up to temp, things got nasty, all the memories of common beer came back... harsh bitterness, no aroma to speak of, no malty mouthfeel. All this for $36 a slab!

When I returned the favour with a Brau, they were shocked I could drink something so bitter...a massive 21 IBU's!!

On a recent holiday with family who are strictly mega swillers, after days of me quaffing Lowenbrau and my own batch of American Pale I was handed a very cold bottle of Pure Blonde. Now being so cold the first sips didn't taste of much, bit watery, minor levels of bitterness (perhaps PoR, not 100%), beer but nothing special. By half way and up to temp, things got nasty, all the memories of common beer came back... harsh bitterness, no aroma to speak of, no malty mouthfeel. All this for $36 a slab!

When I returned the favour with a Brau, they were shocked I could drink something so bitter...a massive 21 IBU's!!

Two main styles that can be a blonde.

Belgian Blond link

and

Blonde Ale link

Both are completly different to pure blonde which is a lager. Beer companies adopt beer names to try and sell beer. Not to match a style guideline. Just like VB is a lager and nothing like a bitter.

Kabooby :)

Make that 3 types

Blonde_Show_Girls_151.jpg

Kabooby :icon_chickcheers:

I reckon it's a tripel. Would've been a quadrupel but the blonde's in the way. :icon_chickcheers:

Kabooby - thgose were the links i was looking for before. good links.

OT

I saw a lot of blondes and bottle blondes at sexpo today.....

Back