What next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbowzky1

Reaction score
View media item 10403I recently completed my 6 keg keezer.

2 taps are reserved for my new nitro set up (70/30 beer gas) of which I'd aldo like to always have 1 as killkenny or similar and
The other keg is fair game, would like darker style beers, at the moment its an alaskan smoked porter.

The other 4 taps are CO2. One of like reserved for larger (at the moment got a 2 birds Pils) what other larger should I rotate through?
One of the remaining 3 will always have either DSGA, DS ryeGA, or my Amarillo fatter Yak. (These are my house beers)
Of the remaining 2 I'd like one to be IPA, of which I've never brewed one but love the LHBS fresh wort kit that I hop up
The final keg is 100% fair game. No idea what style to brew what recipes to use or even what I want in it.

Kegged and on tap atm =
1. Killkenny (nitro)
2. Alaskan Smoked Porter (nitro)

3. Mosaic New World Ale
4. Citra Rye IPA
5. Dr Smurto Golden Ale

6. 2 Birds Pilsner Clone

The kezzer is only just finished and loaded with all reasonably new beers (except the NWA which is about finished)

What's next on the brew list?

Post suggestions and recipes below :)

Thanks

Good English Pale and a Saison, if you are able to brew it at this time of year. The latter must be brewed with a wet yeast as no dried yeast (and I've tried them all) gets close enough to style

Good English Pale and a Saison, if you are able to brew it at this time of year. The latter must be brewed with a wet yeast as no dried yeast (and I've tried them all) gets close enough to style

I have a ferm fridge with digital controller and almost exclusivly use wyeast liquid yeasts.
I did make a sasion a year ish back (tho while I've tasted nice commercial examples) with the wyeat traditional farmhouse strain (3724 fermented at 18-20) i really didnt enjoy drinking it tho :(

I do like ESBs though.
Any good recipes

Hey Bbowzky1,

Interested in seeing how you have mounted your stc1000 in the collar. Any concerns on moisture around the controller?

Where did you get your nitro setup from?

Cheers,
Jase

Hey Bbowzky1,

Interested in seeing how you have mounted your stc1000 in the collar. Any concerns on moisture around the controller?

Where did you get your nitro setup from?

Cheers,
Jase

Mate I'm at work interstate atm and wount be home till this time next week. Unfortunately my pictures on my phone are all to large or not good for showing the STC tho I can post them once home.

I basically made the collar out of cheap sleeper pine I had laying around, then used old floating floor boards over the top to get the nicer wood grain.

The taps I drilled out with a 22mm hole saw and the STC I measured the internal dimentions with a vernier then I jigsawd it out. I cleaned up the holes with wood files and then fitted the taps and STC, all very tight tolerance fit, I did also put a tiny filler of wet area silicone befind the tap collar and the STC face, then just wiped of any residual one they were pressure fitted.

I do have slight condensation issues, like have to wipe out water dropplet after about 3 weeks as the temp is obviously not freezing and freezerz cant eliminate condensation like fridges can.

As for the gas, I had a 2 way manifold left over from old keg fridge, bought a new type 30 regulator and set up everything downstream of the bottle as per a Co2 set up.
The 70/30 I bought from gasweld in Dandynong VIC. I teed up with them to be my supplier after Speed gas agreed to fill minimum D-size bottles for mix gas.

See related thread here
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/nitro-beer-gas-non-rental.95381/#post-1459733

For that Haier 320L freezer a collar wasn't necessary as it could easy fit 6 kegs plus the raised section and basket, however I made the collar so as to be able to remove it and turn it back into a freezer if i ever changed set up or had to claim on the warranty as freezer is brand new. The STC just has an detention coward running down to the freezer control panel with spade terminals on the other end so not even the factory wiring was disturbed :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome reply.

on a non-related topic, I will be calling my local speedgas this afternoon. I have a Belgian Stout fermenting ATM that was destined for the hand pump, but nitro on the hand.............

Cheers,
Jase

Thanks for the awesome reply.

on a non-related topic, I will be calling my local speedgas this afternoon. I have a Belgian Stout fermenting ATM that was destined for the hand pump, but nitro on the hand.............

Cheers,
Jase

No worries mate, hope it's helped ya out.
Let me know how your experience with ya local speed gas rep went.

I have a ferm fridge with digital controller and almost exclusivly use wyeast liquid yeasts.
I did make a sasion a year ish back (tho while I've tasted nice commercial examples) with the wyeat traditional farmhouse strain (3724 fermented at 18-20) i really didnt enjoy drinking it tho :(

I do like ESBs though.
Any good recipes

Mine was made with 3724 at about 28 degrees. Finished it off (because I couldn't be bothered waiting) with Belle Saison.

Saisons might not be your thing.

It's a funny thing, SWMBO, who's an IPA drinking machine but has no time for anything really ESB like, sour or tart and will drink lagers only occasionally if it's hot enough (her favourite beer saying is "not enough hops") loved the Saison, slightly tart and sour and all. I would never have picked it.

Saison is funny like that.

Back