What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Gday guys picked up some $6 Coopers can earlier this week so ive got a few cans sitting around now.. Im going to bottle a pale ale Sunday and want to put another brew at the same time.. Any suggestions or ideas on what to do?
In stock i have:

1x Cooper Real Ale
1x Coopers Pale Ale
1x Coopers Stout
1x Coopers Dark Ale
and about 475grs of Cascade Hop Pellets.

I would love to use up some of the hops...

Cheers Tim

I have heard really good things about the Stout/Dark Ale toucan combo so maybe give that a go.

Unfortunatly being reletivly new I dont know much about hop flavours so not sure what you could do with the cascade, but there is a lot there so I am sure there is some way to combine them with the real and/or the pale ale to create something pretty great.

Personally I would go with the Toucan stout though.

The Cascade would go brilliantly with either the pale or the real cans.
Grab some Safale US-56 and a kilo of dried malt for a basic American Pale Ale recipe.

Grab some fuggles or goldings for the dark & stout kits.

How about an APA made with the cascade hops.

1x Cooper Real Ale
1kg LDME
250g Dex

Get about 200g LDME + 2L into a pot and bring to boil. Once at a good boil add 15g cascade hops and set the timer to 15mins. When the timer goes off add another 15g cascade and set the timer to 5mins. Once the 5mins is up, cover and start cooling by putting the pot in a water bath. The idea here get it to about 80c as quick as you can.

Make up the kit with the remaining LDME + Dex and use the hot wort as the hot water addition into the fermentor to mix you ingredients.

Then finally dry hop with another 20g for 4 days.

The other idea is building on Gormands idea
toucan using the stout and the dark ale.
Just use the 2 cans into the kit, add 250g dex and do a 20g cascade addition.

QldKev

Thanks guys.. i love all the idea i think ill have to do both.. QLDKev when you say addition of cascade to the toucan does that refer to dry hopping it?

I am just about to do a toucan stout myself. Try this basic one, you should like it.

1 x Stout
1 x Dark Ale
1kg Dex

23L

Pitch both kit yeast

Not sure but would cascade hops be the wrong flavour for this toucan

Not sure but would cascade hops be the wrong flavour for this toucan
I'm thinking the cascade would clash in a toucan stout. That's why I suggested fuggles or goldings earlier.

Then again, there are american stouts & porters. So it's up to the individual.

Thanks guys.. i love all the idea i think ill have to do both.. QLDKev when you say addition of cascade to the toucan does that refer to dry hopping it?

I would take 2L of the wort and boil the hops in it for 10mins. As the others have said Cascade is not the traditional hops for stouts, but I think it will be ok as Cascade is a mellow flavoured hop, and with such a big malty backbone it will be not be very pronounced. I would give it a go as you have said you really want to use up some of them; and breaking rules is sometimes fun. (Getting a bit off topic) but I've recently made an IPA style with POR for bittering and Cascade for flavour and aroma. The idea of the POR was to get rid of some older stock and also give it an Aussie style twist. It actually came out a lot better than I thought, and a fellow brewer who tasted has added it to their to-do list.

QldKev

I would take 2L of the wort and boil the hops in it for 10mins. As the others have said Cascade is not the traditional hops for stouts, but I think it will be ok as Cascade is a mellow flavoured hop, and with such a big malty backbone it will be not be very pronounced. I would give it a go as you have said you really want to use up some of them; and breaking rules is sometimes fun. (Getting a bit off topic) but I've recently made an IPA style with POR for bittering and Cascade for flavour and aroma. The idea of the POR was to get rid of some older stock and also give it an Aussie style twist. It actually came out a lot better than I thought, and a fellow brewer who tasted has added it to their to-do list.

QldKev

Im only new to the whole boiling aspects of brewing so when you say boil the wort your obivously referring to the can so i would boil the can and add cascade once boiling for 10min then remove it and cool? Sorry only new and i have only so far just keep it pretty simple...

Im only new to the whole boiling aspects of brewing so when you say boil the wort your obivously referring to the can so i would boil the can and add cascade once boiling for 10min then remove it and cool? Sorry only new and i have only so far just keep it pretty simple...

In general make up your 23L and take 2L out and boil that doing the hop additions. Typically I will use a couple of hundred grams of the DDME I am using in some water and use that to do the hop additions, but if your not putting any in then some of a can and some water should be fine.

Yep as Gormand mentioned you are best to boil in wort around 1.035/1.040. Normally we would add 200g DME to 2L for the boil, but in this case having already 2 kits in the brew I don't think you want anymore malt. So in this case I would mix up the entire batch into the fermentor, get out about 2L and use that for the boil.

Of course if you love malty beer you could just add 100g dark (or even light) malt extract to 1L of water in the pot for the boil and make it easier for yourself.

QldKev

I'd use the Cascade with the Pale Ale and get another can of unhopped extract and make an APA.

You could use more Cascade in a Dark Ale/Real Ale toucan and make an Black USIPA.

I'd keep the Stout for a proper Porter with a can of extract. Try Saaz with your Stout/Dark Ale toucan
and brew it as cold as you can, say 18 deg C, and only make up to 20 litres for a Baltic Porter.

Remember the most important thing, keep decent notes. So if it is a cracker of a beer you can re make it.

Pale ale and Dark ale toucan is great, not sure about the cascade, but goldings is good with this brew. Real ale and Pale ale toucan is the base for the Coopers Extra Strong vintage ale kit recipe along with extra dextrose to up the %ABV, you could leave out to make it a session beer. Could use the cascade in there if you like as described above, plus some late dry hopping.

good luck, let us know what you decide upon. the coopers website has a good range of recipes to choose from if you get stuck.

So ive decided on:

1.7kg of Coopers Real Ale
1kg Of Light Malt Extract
20L of water
20grams of Cascade added to the boil for 10mintues
US 05 Yeast
25 grams of Cascade Dry Hopped after about 5 days...

Opinions

Cheers Tim

Sounds good.

Just remember to boil your hops in some wort to get the best out of them. The easiest way to do this would be to make up your brew as normal in the fermenter, then open the tap into a clean and sterilsed cooking pot.

Bring to the boil, add hops, start timer.

Once done, you can strain back into the fermenter (or throw the lot in, either way, everyone will have differing opinions on whether you'll end up with hop floaties in your bottles or not).

Not sure if you will need to cool the 2L worth of hopped wort or not, probably wont make much difference when going back into 20L of cool wort. Might bring up the overall temp a degree or two, but others more knowledgable than I will be better to advise on this...

Cheers Mate this is the first time will have boiled the wort so ill take all the advice i can...

So ive decided on:

1.7kg of Coopers Real Ale
1kg Of Light Malt Extract
20L of water
20grams of Cascade added to the boil for 10mintues
US 05 Yeast
25 grams of Cascade Dry Hopped after about 5 days...

Opinions

Cheers Tim

I would throw in 250g Dex on that. The malt extract does not fully ferment out so you need that little bit of dex.

Keep that US-05 at 18c on the dot and you will have a cracker!

QldKev

Back