What is this?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal.p

Reaction score
Didn't label a container and I have a memory like a sieve.

I think this is calcium chloride. Doesn't really have a smell. Google images seems to confirm but I'm unsure if there are similar looking brewing salts. Can anyone confirm?

20171112_233446.jpg

I’ve only seen CaCl2 look like that but context is everything. I don’t know what your camera or microscope can do.

CaSO4 and CaCO3 are more like fine powder in my experience.

What’s a crystal feel like on your tongue and what salts do you keep on hand, generally.

I have seen Damprid prepared like that, I think it been put through a granulator to increase the surface area available to absorb moisture.
Have to wonder where you got it, I wouldn't be using industrial desiccant instead of food grade salts.
If you aren't sure what it is and its grade (including its level of hydration - that can change the amount of Ca/gram by heaps) toss it and get some fresh stock you are sure is both safe and able to be used accurately.
Mark

Didn't label a container and I have a memory like a sieve.

I think this is calcium chloride. Doesn't really have a smell. Google images seems to confirm but I'm unsure if there are similar looking brewing salts. Can anyone confirm?

View attachment 109740

Calcium Chloride I have is the same as that. Purchased from NHB.

What’s a crystal feel like on your tongue and what salts do you keep on hand, generally.

Hiya, it's a sharp saltiness on tip of the tongue. I only use gypsum, sometimes table salt, baking soda, and phosphoric acid...and erm calcium chloride.

It's not zoomed in or a macro with a phone camera.

Back