What Is The Best Why To Sanitize? Bleech?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A small amount of sulphites are used in cider production and wine production so yeast can survive so2 production, depending on the level.

whats the go with the vinegar after the bleech does it fight the taste of the bleech when its brewed or is it an extra sanitiser.

Vinegar is used in conjunction with the bleach to drop the pH a little. Not sure I understand the theory as I would have thought pH extremes are what does the sanitising but there you go.

Used in the right proportion it's supposedly no rinse.

Here is a cut and pasre which might explain it a little for us all.

Vinegar increases killing power of bleach
Adding white vinegar to diluted household bleach greatly increases the disinfecting power of the solution, making it strong enough to kill even bacterial spores. Researchers from MicroChem Lab, Inc. in Euless, Texas, report their findings today at the 2006 ASM Biodefense Research Meeting.
Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) in the form of laundry bleach is available in most households. The concentrate is about 5.25 to 6 percent NaOCl, and the pH value is about 12. Sodium hypochlorite is stable for many months at this high alkaline pH value.

"Laundry bleach is commonly diluted about 10 to 25-fold with tap water to about 2000 to 5000 parts per million of free available chlorine for use as an environmental surface disinfectant, without regard to the pH value of the diluted bleach. However, the pH value is very important for the antimicrobial effectiveness of bleach," says Norman Miner, a researcher on the study.

At alkaline pH values of about 8.5 or higher, more than 90 percent of the bleach is in the form of the chlorite ion (OCl-), which is relatively ineffective antimicrobially. At acidic pH values of about 6.8 or lower, more than 80 percent of the bleach is in the form of hypochlorite (HOCl). HOCl is about 80 to 200 times more antimicrobial than OCl-.

"Bleach is a much more effective antimicrobial chemical at an acidic pH value than at the alkaline Ph value at which bleach is manufactured and stored. A small amount of household vinegar is sufficient to lower the pH of bleach to an acidic range," says Miner.

Miner and his colleagues compared the ability of alkaline (pH 11) and acidified (pH 6) bleach dilutions to disinfect surfaces contaminated with dried bacterial spores, considered the most resistant to disinfectants of all microbes. The alkaline dilution was practically ineffective, killing all of the spores on only 2.5 percent of the surfaces after 20 minutes. During the same time period the acidified solution killed all of the spores on all of the surfaces.

"Diluted bleach at an alkaline pH is a relatively poor disinfectant, but acidified diluted bleach will virtually kill anything in 10 to 20 minutes," says Miner. "In the event of an emergency involving Bacillus anthracis spores contaminating such environmental surfaces as counter tops, desk and table tops, and floors, for example, virtually every household has a sporicidal sterilant available in the form of diluted, acidified bleach."

Miner recommends first diluting one cup of household bleach in one gallon of water and then adding one cup of white vinegar.

This is what i do to sanitize my mash paddle,

flamethrower_straight.jpg

Vinegar is used in conjunction with the bleach to drop the pH a little. Not sure I understand the theory as I would have thought pH extremes are what does the sanitising but there you go.

Used in the right proportion it's supposedly no rinse.
There was a previous thread on this subject - IIRC (and there is every chance that my dodgy memory doesn't) the recommended proportions for no-rinse was quoted as 1.7ml per litre of bleach, 1.7ml per litre of vinegar. I use a 1/3 cup of each in a 30L fermenter - but still rinse anyway.

BTW - I bought Homebrand Bleach at Woolies last night. It is exactly same concentration of sodium hypochlorite as Domestos, and is 1/3 of the price. With homebrand vinegar, its cheap enough to use everywhere.

Use Starsan or Iodophor. Donty waste your time with anything else

Use Starsan or Iodophor. Donty waste your time with anything else
My first year of brewing I went through so many bottles of Woolies bleach that I was a one man environmental tsunami, as well as probably going through a hundred litres of water for every brew. Bleach is very 'sticky' and needs three or four rinses to get rid of it. I also tried the bleach / vinegar thing and it turned out smelling like a salad-dressed swimming pool.

Nowadays I use a dose of Sodium Perc on the fermenters and any bottles with yeast rings etc, leave overnight and next day rinse off and use Starsan. I've been through only one and a half bottles in the last year and no infections. In my bleach only days I lost three brews to infections and tossed those fermenters to be on the safe side. Expensive stuff that bleach.

Nowadays I use a dose of Sodium Perc on the fermenters and any bottles with yeast rings etc, leave overnight and next day rinse off and use Starsan. I've been through only one and a half bottles in the last year and no infections.

1 1/2 BOTTLES! Yikes ive only just gone through 1/2 of my starsan bottle and im 12 months into it. Although my typical use is usually 500ml-1L solution into the fermenter/filter/keg etc. After all, it only needs contact with the solution and not submersed.

My first year of brewing I went through so many bottles of Woolies bleach that I was a one man environmental tsunami

Geez Bribie I use bleach all over the place, used to make 25 odd batches of beer a year and used 2 x 2L bottles of bleach in the last 2 years :eek:

Nowadays I use a dose of Sodium Perc on the fermenters and any bottles with yeast rings etc, leave overnight and next day rinse off and use Starsan

No point sanitising after cleaning unless you are going to be using them. Store away dry and sanitise prior to use

Expensive stuff that bleach.

Where are you buying it Bribie?? Think the stuff I buy is about $3 for 2L so $6 over the past two years. You dont need to fill bottles/fermenters with bleach solution, a couple of litres of diluted bleach solution sloshed around a few times is all thats required for a fermenter, 50ml or so shaken in a bottle.

10,000 Brewers, 20,000 ways to do everything :lol:

Where are you buying it Bribie?? Think the stuff I buy is about $3 for 2L so $6 over the past two years. You dont need to fill bottles/fermenters with bleach solution, a couple of litres of diluted bleach solution sloshed around a few times is all thats required for a fermenter, 50ml or so shaken in a bottle.

Which can be recovered from the fermenter\bottles & stored away for re-use next time around. ;)
SAVE YOUR BLEACH AND SAVE THE WORLD. :super:

T

I use only Uniphor(Iodophor). I purchased a 20L cube from a diary/farm supplier a few years ago for $75.00

Screwy and Pete, the reason I use Perc, as I'm sure Pete does as well, is to remove any traces of organic stuff that can't be seen - you can see it fizzing up as the Perc nukes it - and I consider it a cleaner, not a sanitizer, and I rinse it off. Then I use the sanitizer, i.e. Starsan. My reference to the price was the $100 in junked fermenters following infections. Plus the less work in rinsing bleach off three times and then not have a guaranteed sanitized fermenter or bottle because you have done the final rinse with town water.

However having said all that, if you can avoid infections in the first place and keep the fermenters and bottles always sweet, sanitizing is an insurance policy - it's not like your equipment is crawling with deadly pus-exuding organisms.

As mentioned I use bleach as part of the process (starsan after) but I find a quick rinse of a fermenter with 10 L of cold water and then a full rinse with boiling water is enough. No need to rinse the entire thing 3 or 4 times.

Those massively concerned about tipping bleach down the sink should remember the entire water supply is chlorinated and as mentioned - the solution is re-usable.

The boiling water can also be re-used either for cleaning or cooled and used on the garden (not much chorine left in the 20 L of boiling water).

I'd never rely on bleach alone though, purely because I need to rinse it having experienced chlorephenols in my beer before.

What strength of bleach were you using to experience these flavours?

I've never had any bad comments using 10ml bleach 10ml white vinegar per 5L water

I rinse my bottles 3 times after drinking, dry, then store with a cover over the lids so I never need to clean nasties out at bottling time, just sanitise, no rinse and bottle :)

What strength of bleach were you using to experience these flavours?

I've never had any bad comments using 10ml bleach 10ml white vinegar per 5L water

I rinse my bottles 3 times after drinking, dry, then store with a cover over the lids so I never need to clean nasties out at bottling time, just sanitise, no rinse and bottle :)

Exact proportion was a dash of bleach mixed with a bit of some water and forgetting to rinse. I know it can be no rinse but the experience made me paranoid.

I'm happy to be paranoid in this instance.

I use unsented bleech and white vinegar, at 1 ounce of each into 5 gallons of water, never mix the bleech and vinegar together = gas, so just make sure you add it to the water................30 seconds contact will sanitise
I don't rinse and have never had an infection or detected any flavours.....................damn cheap too.

used to bake glass in the oven but I find the bleech and vingar way better.

Back