What Is Everyone Brewing For Christmas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Kolsch and a Galaxy ale that should be drinking around xmas, will be brewing a saison based on Tony's Bullhead when the shed heats up and a big aggressive and sticky RIS I can stash under the house till winter,
then I can sit back and stroke my white cat and laugh an evil laugh

Apple cider with hints of strawberries, vanilla and cininmon. Could of used more strawberries...

If it coincides - for sure. Plans not concrete yet but probably in or around hobart just after New Year's. Heading back to Melb on the 4th from launceston.

From your dates, it looks as if we may just miss each other though.

Well I'm down from the 18th Dec - 7th Jan. PM me for contact details if the dates suit....Should be around Taste time over New years. Always good beers around!

Cheers

A wai-iti pilsner that's been lagering for months now. Had a taste test this afternoon when changing out a keg, and it's come up nicely! The beer, probably because of the yeast I used, Wyeast 2001 - Urqell lager, took a LONG time before it started tasting any good. My notes say it was at FG on the 14/7 - and it's been lagering since then.

Wit for when it's hot, Irish Red for when it's not, IIPA because I really enjoy it and a Raspberry Trippel for dessert.

Should be a very merry xmas.

Nothing as flash as most of those gents but my first AG will be two weeks in the bottle on chrissy eve. I can't wait. It's like being a kid again!

A mild ale,
a hefe,
a black pilsner,
a belgian blonde.

Tis the weather to be keeping it light(ish)!

Got an APA, and flanders oud bruin ready for Xmas, but brewing a saison, Coffee Porter & framboise for birthdays & anniversary in the new year.

Ive got a batch of Drsmurto's Golden Ale about to go in to Keg and Tweeked version using Maris Otter and Galaxy that should be ready for Christmas. Might also make a batch of Docs rhubarb weiss if time allows.

I'm brewing a lager-ale-brett lager.... bit of a story

So I was keeping my yeasts in the kitchen fridge vegetable crisper. I went to grab a yeast for something and noticed that my smack pack of West Yorkshire had swelled. I figured I better use it ASAP in the hope of avoiding problems.... boy was I wrong.

Took the smack pack downstairs to pitch. Went to grab the wort and realised that if I wanted my aussie lager to be drinkable for a mate who's visiting for new years I'd have to get cracking on it. So I grabbed the aussie lager cube and chucked it into the fermenter. I opened the West Yorkshire which was intended for the ESB in the next cube. I noticed the pack hadn't been smacked so I cut the inner packet gave it a swirl together and pitched.

Realising my mistake with the yeast I decided to pitch the lager yeast on top and let the low temp help it take hold (despite not making a starter).

I think I've now determined that the smack pack had swelled due to an infection (is this even possible from a yeast lab?) and that pitching it was very wrong.

Other than that I've got Ross's QLD Ale fermenting away with US05 (triple checked the packet before starting). I also have the ESB that now has no yeast , a hoppy IPA ready to ferment and a stout that was bottled last night.

Actually going away on first proper holiday in possibly 10 years. Tassie, camping, (mostly - and checking out some breweries) for a couple of weeks.

We were investigating the idea of heading down to Tassie for a family camping trip also, idealy in Port Arthur. But when we found out what it costs to get across the straight, I nearly fell over backwards! $1040 to get over and back across for 2 adults, 2 kids and the car (inc box trailer)!!!! and that's no cabin or extras, that's boat-people class.

And from what people tell me, the trip aint no banana chair, sipping on cocktails (beer rather) trip....apparently it's very rough going across the straight!

So bugger that! It's up north again for us. (and just pay the ridiculously inflated prices there) :blink:

I have a keg of everything that's in my sig

So far a 10min IPA and a Choc Stout for the cooler months.

Shall be breaking into 2 APA's and a Heavy Scotch Ale for christmass drinkies :party:

We were investigating the idea of heading down to Tassie for a family camping trip also, idealy in Port Arthur. But when we found out what it costs to get across the straight, I nearly fell over backwards! $1040 to get over and back across for 2 adults, 2 kids and the car (inc box trailer)!!!! and that's no cabin or extras, that's boat-people class.

And from what people tell me, the trip aint no banana chair, sipping on cocktails (beer rather) trip....apparently it's very rough going across the straight!

So bugger that! It's up north again for us. (and just pay the ridiculously inflated prices there) :blink:

Bass straight can get a bit bumpy. I've only had one really bad crossing (touches wood). Boat is expensive. Cheaper if 1 person takes car on boat and rest of family fly, collect them from the airport. Thats how wife and I are doing it anyway.
Having a trailer, or vehicle > 5m also costs extra.
Car, (no trailer) + me = just over $200 each way)

Tasmania have aeroplanes.

We're ferrying down with a cabin there and flying back. No car, no kids so not that pricey. I think Qantas have some good specials on getting to Tassie from time to time (although I missed out on that).

Bugger the expense. I actually get some kind of holiday pay for the first time ever* so I'm bloody well using it for a holiday.

(*normally work full time-ish hours as a casual, just finished a part time contract)

We're flying into Launceston on 23rd Dec picking up a camper and driving to Hobart with various stops on the way. Fly back to Melbourne on 29th Dec from Hobart. We booked several months ago, the cost of return flights and camper hire for 2 adults and a child was about $1000 all up. Not bad for peak season I reckon :icon_cheers:

Have a great time in God's little acre!

Boondooglish in the fermenter and a Timmy Taylorish in the keg! Christmas in the bush away from hats, parties and the general commercialized shite that christmas has become. Oh and it's summer, can't get in to Christmas in summer!

Have a good one, wherever and whatever it may be.

I cracked out a end of Pilsner sack 40lt batch using EKG and SAAZ .. different and yet yummy ... :beerbang:

Followed with a double batch of Marris Otter and Nelson Sauvin flower ale (nottingham of course) ... looks and smells like it will be a cracker ... thought as I have some free time I might just have a go at the Torpedo :icon_drool2: ... and try for 8% ... just cause its there and I love a challenge ... and Sierra Nevada are tormenting me with great beer .. :drinks:

Weizen
Vienna lager
AndrewQld's CPA
Vodka,lime & soda on tap

Back