What Hb Books To Get (from Amazon)?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Someone gave me a resonable sized USA-Amazon voucher that I'm still trying to use, so I thought some HB type books could be a good use.

On my short-list so far are:
Brewing Classic Styles Jamil Zainasheff
The Compleat Meadmaker Ken Schramm

Designing Great Beers Ray Daniels
This could be a little advanced for my skills and overboard for what I need, but seems interesting none the less.

How to Brew John J. Palmer
I've read the online version and feel much of the other basic/info stuff is covered here on the forums or elsewhere, so I'm not too sure if I'd make much use of a hard-copy or not.

Are there other books that the experts here at AHB suggest I should look at getting?
I've seen various books mentioned in a few threads, however its not something that is easily searched without already knowing the titles.

Also - in general - I'm happy to use/search forums and around the 'net for information/recipes so recently I've not really been much of a hard-copy/book person.

Have you considered not paying a crapload of postage by purchasing your books through here: Fishpond

I use them, and love them! They guarantee to be cheaper than Amazon- and if you spend $50, you get free shipping!

Just thought I'd put it out there- people don't know it exists, and its a great resource!

Yau can always get the Classic Styles range of books, each one picks a style of beer eg Pale Ale, Stout, Wheatbeers and gives specific info and recipes. In all a good read.

I just received Designing Great Beers from G&G this week and really enjoying it so far. I think it will be a great reference for me for years to come.

Cheers,
Jake

Thankyou for the help/suggestions.

Margrethe, I did look at Fishpond/local book prices (including sponsors) but even with shipping, Amazon is still a fair chunk cheaper. Since Fishpond's "guarantee to be cheaper than Amazon" is not a price-match - they only provide a store-credit for the price difference after it's been ordered, it's not really as attractive as it sounds on paper - besides I need to use the Amazon credit. ;)

lagers44, I looked at the huge range of Classic Style's (on G&G) but at this stage think they're a little specific and probably more detailed than I need, especially since I'm not even sure which one's I'd get given a choice.

That's what I was thinking also Jakechan, maybe a little advanced for me now but seems like a very good reference.

Someone gave me a resonable sized USA-Amazon voucher that I'm still trying to use, so I thought some HB type books could be a good use.

On my short-list so far are:
Brewing Classic Styles Jamil Zainasheff
The Compleat Meadmaker Ken Schramm

Designing Great Beers Ray Daniels
This could be a little advanced for my skills and overboard for what I need, but seems interesting none the less.

How to Brew John J. Palmer
I've read the online version and feel much of the other basic/info stuff is covered here on the forums or elsewhere, so I'm not too sure if I'd make much use of a hard-copy or not.

Are there other books that the experts here at AHB suggest I should look at getting?
I've seen various books mentioned in a few threads, however its not something that is easily searched without already knowing the titles.

Also - in general - I'm happy to use/search forums and around the 'net for information/recipes so recently I've not really been much of a hard-copy/book person.

Brew like a Monk

Wild Brews (if you're into that sort of thing :lol: )

I learnt a lot about belgian beers from these two. Still planning on reading farmhouse ales too.

I have read How to Brew and Designing Great Beers, and they are both excellent. How to Brew goes into a bit more detail in the book, but if you have a reasonable understanding, you probably don't need it.

If you have done a few AG brews and are looking to make your own recipes, Designing Great Beers is a great book to read. After reading it, I have started making my own recipes (with success so far :D ). I also started really using BeerSmith, which I highly recommend, especially if you want to brew to a style guide.

I'm also looking for some more books, they all seem to be useful to some degree.

Mosher's Radical Brewing is a great read. I love it. great book.

How to brew is a book you should have for brewing technique, tips etc. Its like the Grey's Anatomy of brewing.

want to know about designing your own beers. then you guessed it... Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles

experimenting or love those wacky belgians...Brew like a Monk

completemeadmaker huh? hmm wouldnt mind a copy of that.

I recon 3 all brewers should have: Radical Brewing, How to Brew, then a toss up between Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles

Have you considered not paying a crapload of postage by purchasing your books through here: Fishpond

I use them, and love them! They guarantee to be cheaper than Amazon- and if you spend $50, you get free shipping!

Just thought I'd put it out there- people don't know it exists, and its a great resource!

Another good source is the book depositry cheeper than amazon and free delivery word wide

Ronin, looked at both of those, and while I have an interest in Belgian beers, I think I should drink a few more even brew a few before I could say I was 'into it', Brew like a Monk does have a certain 'ring' to it however.

jackmc, 3 AG brews with much Beersmith assistance so far, however, my HB experience does not extend much further than that except for some Mead and GingerBeer, hence including the more basic books on the list. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion citymorgue2, seems the local Library has a copy of Radical Brewing on the shelf, so I'll try to find my library card (NFI where it is) and stop in there this afternoon, seems to be more of a reading/interest book than a reference one, or at least I can give that one a test-run.

radical brewing is an awsome read. there is no real technical info, but a wealth of brerwing info about recipes, styles, ideas, amusing stories etc. Ive read it front to back twice now. I dont think ive read every single page of How to Brew yet and ive had it for almost 3 years.

I also have the following books as mentioned and can't recommend them enough:

How To Brew - John Palmer
Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels
Radical Brewing - Randy Mosher

Cheers.

what would you people recommend?

Designing Great Beers or Brewing Classic Styles?

If you had to choose only one!

Some other good options;

The Brewmasters Table - Garret Oliver
Extreme Brewing - Sam Calgione
Brewing up a Business - Sam again

Very much enjoying Radical Brewing, however, don't think the name or blurb really does justice to it. It seems to be a very amusing and interesting but all-round 'beer' book rather than something 'radical' - I was expecting suggestions to use nettles, heather, tomato leaves or other weird-ass stuff to brew beer. Then again according to the premise of the book, everyone here on the AHB forums is 'radical' for not conforming to what the corporate monopolies expect of us.

I suspect I might be like CM2 and get more reading enjoyment out of Radical Brewing and not actually utilize How To Brew so much - especially with all the useful shared knowledge here on the forums and the online version of the book.

Phillip, I've been pondering that question myself! Get one or the other, or both, not sure. :(
They both seem similar in content, I'm interested in Brewing Classic Styles for the tried-and-true recipes but in the long-run Designing Great Beers is probably more advanced and helpful to create personalized recipes ... if I ever felt the need to do that.

Tim, I've looked at Extreme Brewing, but the reviews on Amazon make me suspect that I'd get more value from the other books mentioned, will have to go and check the other two that you've suggested now. ;)

Thanks again everyone for the help and suggestions.

what would you people recommend?

Designing Great Beers or Brewing Classic Styles?

If you had to choose only one!

Hey Phillip

I would go with designing great beers as you can get most of the brewing classic styles off the podcasts anyway.

Hey Phillip
I would go with designing great beers as you can get most of the brewing classic styles off the podcasts anyway.
+1
The podcasts are great for (putting me to sleep) on long train trips.
The repetition of data eventually makes it sink in, too.
:)

Designing Great Beers would be the go..

Yes it may be advanced, but thats how you learn . DGB does not have recipies but gives you all the info and freedom to create your own. Gives excellent info on the charcteristics that each beer how to formulate

Latest posts

Back