What have you dropped into the Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i've done that.

I got it out eventually, turns out they float.

Also turns out you can be remarkably sensitive feeling about in a batch of wort for a small object under a layer of foam to find it.

Yep, I've just done the same, bloody white seal, never even saw it was stuck to top of cube threads.
What's the consensus - try and fish it out or just leave it be?

Bloody stir bars again! Yesterday, I was about to pour in my yeast then remembered 'The stir bar!!' So I ran back to the house and got my magnet. Placed magnet next to stir bar, poured yeast, plop into the wort goes stir bar.... wtf?!?! several curses later and now I have to remember to find it when I empty the FV into the bath before it goes down the drain. Ah well.. shit happens I guess!

Stir bars here too, just fished one out of the empty fermenter today. Actually, I didn't, I left it in there so it can soak in the perc with the fermenter :D I clean/rinse the fermenter in a stainless steel tub so the stir bars just stick to the tub anyway and never get lost down the drain. Totally forgot it'd dropped in there 4 weeks ago until I heard something rattling around in the FV today while rinsing the trub out.

Damn it. Last night . After a bunch beers decided to a hydro test my saison that had been on a week. Removed airlock , took sample , when putting airlock in for some drunken reason decided to push it in a bit further than usual and the grommet popped out and fell into the beer. Fell straight to bottom so at least had enough sense not to try to fish it out.

Guessing it will be fine.

Nothing that hasn't been intended.

There's a few things I am meticulous with, and what goes into my fermenter is one of them (yeast and sanitisation are also notable inclusions). I've been brewing for 10 years this year, and have never had an infected batch, and don't intend to ruin my record by dropping unwatned items into my fermenter.

That's easily fixed, brew naked - its the only way to go!

If there's a market for beer made with the yeast from a lady's nether regions then there may be one for a farmhouse under cracker saison with added funk... :eek:

Ha ha ha yeast infection saison thats gold.

My first go at AG was in November and was my second attempt at home brew after a Coopers kit about 10 years back tasted bad.

Mini BIAB with Big W 19l pot, everything went pretty good until I went to put the airlock into the fermenter pushing the grommet through the lid into the wort. In a panic I grabbed the (unsanitized) mash potatoes mashed and fished it out.

Ten days later I had some bad smelling off tasting beer that went down the sink.

My first go at AG was in November and was my second attempt at home brew after a Coopers kit about 10 years back tasted bad.

Mini BIAB with Big W 19l pot, everything went pretty good until I went to put the airlock into the fermenter pushing the grommet through the lid into the wort. In a panic I grabbed the (unsanitized) mash potatoes mashed and fished it out.

Ten days later I had some bad smelling off tasting beer that went down the sink.
The mashed potatoes would have been sanitised from the boil, or had you already added milk and butter?

The mashed potatoes would have been sanitised from the boil, or had you already added milk and butter?

Just noticed I typed mash potato mashed instead of masher (bloody autocorrect)

It was “clean” out of the drawer, I suppose it could have been infected another way but I am just guessing that was the cause.
:question:

If there's a market for beer made with the yeast from a lady's nether regions then there may be one for a farmhouse under cracker saison with added funk... :eek:
It's been done a few times all claiming to be the first lol

Not quite dropping something in the fermenter but I did a good one today - one I'm sure a lot of you have done.

Whilst filling up my fermenter I realised I had left the tap open, only realising after about a litre of wort was spilled on the laundry floor...

Not quite dropping something in the fermenter but I did a good one today - one I'm sure a lot of you have done.

Whilst filling up my fermenter I realised I had left the tap open, only realising after about a litre of wort was spilled on the laundry floor...
Someone should print a t-shirt

You're not a real brewer until you've done this!!! (You also need to have broken at least 2 hydrometers and incorporate a blue milk crate into your setup)

I would be surprised if there was no one who had done that, as brewgasm says there should be a t-shirt,
I would suggest 'Shut your ******* tap'

Back