What happened !!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishHo

Reaction score
Hi All

So I've done a few dozen all grain brews and its all going quite well till today. After the boil I chilled as per usual with the immersion chiller and went off for dinner to let the wort settle before siphoning off to the fermenter. After a couple of hours i was greeted with this unholy looking concoction.

So I think the issue is that i bought some generic Carrageenan from an online HBS after i ran out of the usual Mangroves Jacks Irish Moss.
I've not seen this before. I did two brews today and that's all that has changed. One a Pale ale and one a bitter. The 'clumps' were so bad they blocked the syphon and I had to dump a few ltres of sludge. I did appear to be a floating mat as it did seem cleare beneath as I siphoned off.

Anybody seen this before ?

20180506_183829.jpg
20180506_183845.jpg

No, I stick with Whirlfloc/Deltafloc and I have had no troubles with over a 1000 batches. It looks like this stuff has rehydrated and taken over your wort. How did the beer turn out? I hope I don’t sound wise after the event but home brewing always seems to have some new surprise/shock just around the corner.

Latest posts

Back