What Happened To Brigalow?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benarnot

Reaction score
Hi all,

This might have already been talked to death on here, but I couldn't see anything about it when I did a quick search...

I've been brewing Brigalow Apple Cider and Ginger Beer packs for about 12 years now, and love them every time, but I've got around to brewing one again, and can't find it anywhere! I live on the Gold Coast, and have been to 2 Woolworths, 1 Coles, 1 KMart, and 1 Home Brew Shop, and can't find them anywhere. Has the company gone under?

Cheers,

Ben

I recently purchased a cider from Big W. I have no idea about where you are but it is still available in Tassie.

I recently purchased a cider from Big W. I have no idea about where you are but it is still available in Tassie.

Thanks mate... but I think Tassie might be little bit far. I'm on the Gold Coast... Still, it is good cider!

Should have gone to Mudgeeraba Woolies - plenty of cider kits there earlier this evening

Kev

same at Woolworths Holmeview, heaps of cider and GB kits, just check out your larger stores like woolies robina.

Thanks mate... but I think Tassie might be little bit far. I'm on the Gold Coast... Still, it is good cider!

Obviously Tassie is a little far..... Big W is Aust wide I believe, you don't have Big W up there?... (Burleigh, Runaway Bay, Robina, Beenleigh)

I don't know about the cider as I am yet to brew it and I personally am not fond of cider but thought I'd give it a go at some stage.

Hi all,

This might have already been talked to death on here, but I couldn't see anything about it when I did a quick search...

I've been brewing Brigalow Apple Cider and Ginger Beer packs for about 12 years now, and love them every time, but I've got around to brewing one again, and can't find it anywhere! I live on the Gold Coast, and have been to 2 Woolworths, 1 Coles, 1 KMart, and 1 Home Brew Shop, and can't find them anywhere. Has the company gone under?

Cheers,

Ben

Try Big W - I'm pretty sure the Burleigh (stocklands) had them. They stock all the Brigalow range and stuff like hydrometers that only go to 1.040 and "finings" and "brewing yeast".

A little OT, but why bother with the brigalow stuff?

Just get some juice. If you dont like really dry do a search of this forum for some sweetening tips.

Remember the only brigalow i bought was a gb back in the late 80' s. Even as a poor student turfed the stuff because of the foul saccharine aftertaste. Do they still use it?

The blackrock kit has no artificial sweeteners if you want a kit.

Then again maybe you dont mind that taste, could just be me as shitloads of softdrink with it is sold.

A little OT, but why bother with the brigalow stuff?

Just get some juice. If you dont like really dry do a search of this forum for some sweetening tips.

Remember the only brigalow i bought was a gb back in the late 80' s. Even as a poor student turfed the stuff because of the foul saccharine aftertaste. Do they still use it?

The blackrock kit has no artificial sweeteners if you want a kit.

Then again maybe you dont mind that taste, could just be me as shitloads of softdrink with it is sold.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. The Brigalow kits of Apple Cider and the Ginger Beer are the ones that we like the best, especially the wife. I made a Black Rock AC last time, and she wouldn't go anywhere near it. I also had a crack at an Apple Cider with Vanilla and Cinnamon recipe I found on here about two years ago, using juice... could've run the car on it!

I know that people have low opinions of Brigalow stuff, but it always works, and works well for me, and the wife likes it too.

Cheers,

Ben

Fair enough Ben. The bc certainly does go down low and consequently does make it very dry. Good luck tracking some down.
Cheers
sean

Have kits & gear been removed from Sydney stores? About 6 months ago one Sunday I desperately needed bottle caps, and visited no less than seven stores in my area, none of which had beer making stuff. This included a K-Mart, two Big W's, two Coles & two Woolworths. We're talking big stores too,not some pokey little place out in the boondocks.

Have kits & gear been removed from Sydney stores? About 6 months ago one Sunday I desperately needed bottle caps, and visited no less than seven stores in my area, none of which had beer making stuff. This included a K-Mart, two Big W's, two Coles & two Woolworths. We're talking big stores too,not some pokey little place out in the boondocks.

I think Coles and Woollies might be getting out of home brew stuff. The Coles at Labrador (my local) now stocks nothing for brewing at all. I really used to like their home brand lager too, which I know is going to raise some eye brows, but I swear it was good stuff!

Ben

Coles and woolies have dumped it up here. But big dub and kmart still have kits, thats where I get new PET's from anyway.

Cheers

Coles and woolies have dumped it up here.

Well there ya go. My local Coles used to have shitloads of cans for the kit kiddies, at a guess I would say over 15 varieties, including ciders and ginger beer. It sucks that if I am in a bind for caps or ldme for starters, I hve to go for miles to get t my HBS (although now I always have hundreds of caps minimum, and I can always cook up a mini-batch if I needed starter wort).

Come to think of it, not only does my local Kmart not have beer stuff, the one near my place of work doesnt either ! Fuckers, and I was going to make a brutal 5-can barley wine for the next state comp. :lol:

My local Big W has recently got in a shite load of brigalow stuff, mixes, cider, gb, also tooheys kits...all to add to a decent range of coopers stuff, I wish they would stock
extract tins, but anyway dont know if its just because its xmas or will be regular but they seem to sell a fair bit of gear up here....nearest brew shops are 2 hours plus drive...
you may need to ship it in.

Come to think of it, not only does my local Kmart not have beer stuff, the one near my place of work doesnt either ! Fuckers, and I was going to make a brutal 5-can barley wine for the next state comp. :lol:

I know it's feeding the troll, but that really would be brutal.

T.

Latest posts

Back