What Gas Does Everybody Use For Carbonating/dispensing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tribalfish

Reaction score
Hi all,

What gas does everybody use for carbonating/dispensing?

Tribal.

can u use the No2 Co2 mix for regular beers?

I personally wouldn't recommend it, the creamy head would just look wrong on an APA.

I use CO2, and I have a stout restrictor on my stout tap, and that froths the head up nice for me :) the cylinder is currently Air Liquide, but will become a my keg on legs cylinder when my rent expires.

I was thinking of using 1 of 2 different products for ales:

BOC Cellarmix 55

AIR LIQUIDE Aligal 15

Both are 55% CO2 / 45% N

Just remember, that carbonation is part of the flavour profile - while forcing nitrogen into a beer will make it "fizzy" it wont make it carbontated, that need C02. So a beer thats been made fizzy with a 55/45 mix, might have just as many bubbles, but not only will the head form differently, it will actually taste different to a beer that was made fizzy with pure C02. Flatter, less bite and acidity - and the small bubbles will effect how the beer interacts with your tongue. Smoother and more velvety with the N02, but no bounce or life. Thats why I think N02 is sometimes used on beers that would naturally have a low level of carbonation.

I think you might (and I don't know for sure) find that its hard to get beers like pilsners or hoppy pale ales tasting crisp and zingy with that sort of gas mix.

IIRC there was a thread in which it was said that in Australia the food grade C02 and C02 that is put into fire extinguishers are the same, is this correct.
Reason for asking is that I have found a source that will refill my extinguisher with C02 for the purpose of gasing my homebrew. Also my extuinguisher is full but has held its pressure for 5 years would this gas be OK to carb a beer or should I empty it and get it refilled?

Cheers Brad

I use a CO2 extinguisher unmodified and its been nothing but easy.
:icon_cheers:

+1 Fire extinguisher

no real dramas with them at all, sometimes the valves don't hold up too well, or maybe that is just mine, but most of the brewers I know use them and have had no problems whatsoever.

Crundle

Have just started using a fire extinguisher as well.

Was wondering how many of those who use an unmodified extinguisher them turn them upside down to gas.

I was advised to do this when I got it but was wondering how many actually do and what damage you cause if you don't.

+1 Fire extinguisher

no real dramas with them at all, sometimes the valves don't hold up too well, or maybe that is just mine, but most of the brewers I know use them and have had no problems whatsoever.

Crundle

Fire extinguisher with the dip stick removed (now have 2 of them just in case!!)

I have been using industrial CO2 for 2 years and no diagnosable side effects, yet.

I have plenty of gas to (just ask the wife) I have 2 G size full, 35 kg each, two 5KG extinguishers, full, and a 5 KG keg-on-legs I bought a couple of years ago, almost empty.

I should not have to buy gas for a little while.

Have just started using a fire extinguisher as well.

Was wondering how many of those who use an unmodified extinguisher them turn them upside down to gas.

I was advised to do this when I got it but was wondering how many actually do and what damage you cause if you don't.
Bloke you may get away with it or you may not :)
Basically if you don't invert it then you are relying on the liquid turning onto gas in the dip tube just before it enters the regulator, if it remains liquified then the rubber diaphragm in your reg will be exposed to very cold temperatures and may crack (bad). Inverting your extinguisher means that you have a good headspace of gas entering your diptube. Next time you get your extinguisher filled ask if they can remove the diptube.
Cheers
Doug

Sodastream. (will be)
Filling up first keg on the weekend, as I don't consume vast quantities it is cheaper at the moment to use my sodastream bottle.

Maybe after tax time I'll buy a cylinder...and freezer.....and more kegs..... :icon_cheers:

Mod'ed fire extinguisher and CO2 here, but Nitros Oxide for serving low ABV beers works a treat.

Screwy

Ive got a fire extinguisher too which is almost due for a fill

KHB

Just get yourself straight CO2.
Get yourself on of these http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=979
Buy Nitrogen/Creamer bulbs from a catering/kitchen supply place.
inject 1 or 2 bulbs and get the balance right.

Cheers Big "D".

That'd be a great plan if cream bulbs contained nitrogen gas, they dont, they contain nitrous oxide (NO2, laughing gas). Completely the wrong thing.

Back