What Equipment Would You Need

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

Reaction score
Hi All
I am just looking into what sort of items you would need to produce youe first all-grain brew
Any help would be great

Cheers in advance
Archie :super:

Try these links:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/index.html
http://www.negia.net/~brew/homebrew.html

There is plenty of info out there but a simplified list might include:

* 4 to 5 gallon brew pot with lid.
* 5 gallon insulated plastic water cooler.
* 10 inch fine mesh stainless steel strainer with handle.
* Heavy duty plastic or metal spoon with long handle.
* 11 inch plastic funnel for carboy.
* 5 gallon glass jug (carboy) with carboy cap and air lock.
* 3 gallon glass carboy (optional) for secondary fermentation.
* Wide range (0-220 degrees F) thermometer.
* Sanitizer such as unscented bleach.

2 mayo buckets
a drill
a few big pots

edit- gallons finite? what are they?

cheers guys
i am loking into it looks great

Nice link Brauluver lots of good advice!

Archie said:
Hi All
I am just looking into what sort of items you would need to produce youe first all-grain brew
Any help would be great

Cheers in advance
Archie :super:
[post="124720"][/post]​

I believe the Basic Brewing "Stepping Into Allgrain" DVD is a great source of info for first timers. At less than AU$30 delivered and around 10 days delivery it's also great value. Here is the link Buy Basic Brewing DVD

Will the DVD NTSC format play on our PAL systems? I know the old VHS played in B&W.
Cheers

Bighanno,

The first release (preview) of DVD's they did were region coded for North America.
The latest release is coded for all regions. I'd order from their website and make sure James sends you the correct one.

Beers,
Doc

Ok guy's, I've been searching Geelong and Melbourne for a Cheapish 5 gallon water cooler and have had no luck. Does anyone know of any camping/outdoor stores where I can get one. Also, how much did you pay for your 5 gallon cooler?

Cheers :)

Screwtop said:
I believe the Basic Brewing "Stepping Into Allgrain" DVD is a great source of info for first timers.

Did you purchase it Screwtop?

bighanno said:
Will the DVD NTSC format play on our PAL systems? I know the old VHS played in B&W

It depends on the equipment you have. Most newer DVD players and televisions will play NTSC and PAL discs. Some older TVs will not play NTSC at all, whilst others will have a distinct yellow colour to the image making viewing quite annoying. True multisystem televisions (which most are these days) will not have a problem with overseas discs, particularly those without region encoding.

When organising gear for ag brewing, keep in mind what the processes are. You can even do a small ag, rather than a full size, that way, you keep the process small and manageable, then sacle up as you obtain more gear.

First up, you need an accurate thermometer.

Something to mash in, any insulated container will work, a bucket wrapped in bubblewrap will do, or the cheap camping mattresses work.

Something to sparge in. Cheesecloth pegged over a bucket fermenter will work, use some sort of standoff such as birdmesh to stop the cheesecloth blocking the tap.

Something to boil in. A few large pots will do the job.

Something to chill with. Stand your pots in the laundry tub filled with water, change the water a few times. This is not the time to use the no chill method. Getting the hot wort out of saucepans would be a challenge, as you need to avoid aerating it.

even with a little oxygen, it'll still taste better than a K&K brew.

Try and join up and participate in a club. Often, members have bits of equipment that they have upgraded from, and may lend you some of the gear they no longer use.

Hey all thanks for the valuable information, I am pretty excited to start on my first AG brew as everyone says it tastes so much better. I am planning to gather the equipment over the next few weeks. So far I have constructed my stainless steel braided joey for the bottom of the mash tub, now i just need a mash tub. might buy the 57lt one so i can fit my fermenter inside to use when i am fermenting as well not sure yet there is a 20lt one at bunnings would this be sufficient for a regular batch?

I've seen the 20 lt one at bunnings and think it would be ok for a "regular" batch. However, I'm thinking that rather than buying this 20lt tub, why not get a larger one to start with, then later on down the track, you shouldn't need to upgrade again.

Cheers :)

Bighanno,

The first release (preview) of DVD's they did were region coded for North America.
The latest release is coded for all regions. I'd order from their website and make sure James sends you the correct one.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc :)

Latest posts

Back