What Does A Brewery Pay For A 50l Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nainsook

Reaction score
The other night over a few Friday night lemonades, a mate and I were having debate about the how much the larger breweries pay for a 50L stainless steel keg. He reckons about $250 I was arguing about $100. The truth is neither of us really know. I was hoping someone out there (maybe someone who works in a brewery) might know the actual cost.

id guess that the amount of them that they have they would get them reasonably cheap , having said that a lot of them do come from germany so that may up the cost a little ...

I miss my old neighbourhood.

8 pubs within a 400m diameter.

I asked one of the drivers one day a while back when he was dropping of full ones at a local and he said about $400 each.

cheers
johnno

I was hoping someone out there (maybe someone who works in a brewery) might know the actual cost.

Yep, I know the actual cost.

Cheers
Pedro

PS - did you want to know the cost or just know if I knew :)

PPS - not a lot of change out of $200

Cheers
Pedro

is that the gulf brewery price ?? or tooheys and CUB ?? :beerbang:

$200?? Second hand kegs ex-Europe between $99 and $150, brand newies up to $180 at the moment. Reconditioned kegs are getting rare, and the raw materials to make them are getting more expensive.

Hope this helps,
TIM

Cheers
Pedro

$200?? Second hand kegs ex-Europe between $99 and $150, brand newies up to $180 at the moment. Reconditioned kegs are getting rare, and the raw materials to make them are getting more expensive.

Hope this helps,
TIM

The $200 is about right depending on quality and quantity for new ones - don't forget to add all the other bits like duty, customs clearance costs they get you for on imports.
As for CUB or Lion Nathan prices, with the numbers they but, they will do a lot better on price.

Yep, secondhand ones are cheaper, bu that wasn't quite the question.

Cheers
Pedro

Dude,
That's just the price I pay for them. Yep, cheaper in bulk too, but the boss doesn't like to spring for 100 or so at a time, even if I do plead with him over the fact, and you can get your brewery name etc., printed on them for orders of 100 or more. Hopefully got around 50 on their way to me soon.

BBD!
TIM

The $200 is about right depending on quality and quantity for new ones - don't forget to add all the other bits like duty, customs clearance costs they get you for on imports.
As for CUB or Lion Nathan prices, with the numbers they but, they will do a lot better on price.

Yep, secondhand ones are cheaper, bu that wasn't quite the question.

Cheers
Pedro

Anything stainless is bound to be going up at a rapid rate.Im now working at a nickel mine and the current price per USA ton is around $40,000 so get used to paying heaps.An old Coopers newsletter once had there cost for x amount of kegs.Cant find it anymore but it would give an estimate of there cost/keg.Pedro being a Microbrewing owner would be on the money.

Cheers
Big D

50ltr kegs are free for homebrewers.

I thought that was the arrangement? :ph34r:

Tim and Pedro are about right, it is volume and type (Din/Euro) and whether new or used.

$175 new was the last ex-works (spain) price I had, but that was with a 7 day hold on price. Nickel is expensive and as a part of stainless difficult to price.

Then there the 4 month wait for production and ... and ... and....

Scotty

Considering that supermarkets claim lost trolleys cost them $750 each to replace, I reckon $250 for a keg is real cheap..

Last price I saw was just before Christmas...$95.00 landed from Czech Republic.

But I was informed these may be of inferior quality. Still not bad for stainless steel and good for not too vigorous treatment?

The big brewers would pay a bit more to get a better product.

Grain & Grape sell brand new kegs (German) for about $120, so I presume they're getting them for under $100?

I don't think the ones at G&G are new. If they are the ones I think they are, they came from a small Victorian micro, who got them imported secondhand from Germany.

sam

I checked them out a couple of weeks/ months ago.
They look pretty good for secondhand compared to my pepsi kegs....

I did not pay attention to the coupler required.
Saving a phone call to them is it a sankey CUB one?

- Luke

I'm pretty sure they take a Tooheys/Coopers type coupler, which is a European Sanke. Different to a CUB Sanke. I think.

Best give them a call if you wanna be sure.

sam

Latest posts

Back