What do you do with empty grain sacks?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've only been AG brewing for a few months and I've been trying to come up with a use for my empty grain sacks.

Other than putting some firewood in them for weekend camping trips, I'm not sure what else to use them for.

Can they be re-used? Does some organisation take them? Do I just put them in the wheelie bin where they will end up in landfill?

It seems a bit of a waste to throw them out, (which is what I've done so far) I'd much rather recycle them if possible.

Home brewers would be among some of the best recyclers around, so someone must have found a way of putting them to use, surely.

Paper the walls of the brewery (shed) with them. It gives a look similar to those cafes covered in coffee bean sacks.

Tip it upside-down, cut a few holes in the top and brew in a bag?

480proje4584.jpg

If you put them in your recycle bin you may feel like you have reused them. I hide all my beer bottles there.

bum said:
Tip it upside-down, cut a few holes in the top and brew in a bag?

480proje4584.jpg

DU99 said:
My dog sleeps on them in there kennel
I'd rather sleep with that ^ than an old bag. That is how I would prefer to cope with an empty sack. (Middle, left, right in preferred order. Beggars can't be choosers.)

How you empty your sack is your own business.

So I should scan for keystroke loggers?

Tell you what, I'm very suspect about Jake the Peg's extra leg ATM.

Take them back to your LHBS and in your best oliver twist voice say "please sir can I have some more"

If they're the hessian bag type, use them for weed matting. They'll keep the soil moist below and will slowly decompose.

grantb said:
If they're the hessian bag type, use them for weed matting. They'll keep the soil moist below and will slowly decompose.
480proje4584.jpg

I like your thinking..........but what will the girls wear?

Back