What Do You Buy A Carton Of?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Stoke range is pretty good, turned up in my local DM's recently. The Amber (which I think is the pick of the litter) will get you up near that divorce threshhold though.

I am led to believe the better one to get, as was pictured, is the Urquell with "imported" on the neck of the bottle. Otherwise it is brewed under licence...
i wasn't aware that it was brewed under licence at all... will have to look out for that.

after a very brief look... from our reputable source wikipedia;

Brewed under licence

In recent years imported premium beers have started to gain market share in Australia.[4] The two Australian corporate brewers responded to this by signing licence agreements with foreign brands to brew their beers here. Foster's Group brews Guinness, Stella Artois, Kronenbourg and Carlsberg in Australia; while Lion Nathan locally produces Heineken, Beck's and Kirin. Brewers claim that their locally produced product tastes better because it is fresher; and that their local operations are carried out under strict guidelines overseen by the parent brewers. However groups such as the Australian Consumers Association say that such beers should have clearer, more prominent labels to inform drinkers.[5]

if it is BUL... doesn't seem to be by the big 2

LCPA, Coopers Pale or sparkling or mercury 'draft' cider.
I also keep atleast a 6er of VB in the fridge for those that arent comfortable drinking home brew or "that south australian shit". I dont offer the LCPA or the ciders to too many people ;)

eggs

I dint buy cartons of beer anymore. I'll lug a 19l keg around before buying beer

buy beer :blink: nope...

not for months...

not ever if I can help it..

(individual bottles of unique beer excepted like thistle or heather ale)

Cartons of 660ml Henninger for me. I also keep the bottles for my home brew.

If they're not available, pints of LCPA.

Basically, anything decent tasting that has a good size bottle.

Coopers Sparkling is hard to beat (SA price of $40ish)

JS IPA is quite tasty too.

Agree with the Pilsner Urquell, a very nice beer.

I personally buy Lobethal Bierhaus IPA and porter but at >$80 a carton it's outside your limits. :icon_drool2:

I bought my first carton of beer in many years a couple weeks ago.

Coopers pale ale at $45..... down to $42 with my wifes woolworths employes discount card.

That was the same price as XXXX Gold and i do like coopers!

I used to buy cartons of Becks but now that it made in Australia, its just not as good and im not paying import price for locally made beer!

:icon_offtopic:

if it is BUL... doesn't seem to be by the big 2

PU is a SABMiller brand but is deffinately NOT brewed in Australia. The only licensed brewery other than PU itself is in Poland that I know of. They had to build a purpose build brewery to fit the brand requirements due to specific rules regarding the brewing process.

Back on topic..

I haven't bought a carton for a few years now so I can't add anything more...

Cheers
Booz

I often pick up a carton of Coopers Stout while I am at Dan Murphy's.

I always leave the place with a couple of bottles of beers that I haven't tried yet. Picked up the James Squire Stow Away IPA the other day and I think it will have to be a frequent buy.

Only ever buy beer to go somewhere with it, never for home. So, going somewhere usually means driving.
Therefore I am after a low strength beer. Hands down, the winner is:
Rogers, by Little Creatures. Packed full of flavour and only 1 standard drink per stubby.
$ doesnt stack up that well, but it is good value.

Pilsener Urquell!! What a smooth pils this is.

I have only bought a few cartons over recent years but this is one of them...also XXXX when my father in law is around!!

Only ever buy beer to go somewhere with it, never for home. So, going somewhere usually means driving.
Therefore I am after a low strength beer. Hands down, the winner is:
Rogers, by Little Creatures. Packed full of flavour and only 1 standard drink per stubby.
$ doesnt stack up that well, but it is good value.
+1 Rogers. SO tasty for a mid.

It depends what you want the beer for, watching footy with mates, BBQs or just sitting back after work with one or two.

If it is the footy and BBQs you need a session beer, my fav cheap (but nice) session beer is the Oettinger (spelling ??), as already mentioned $30 a carton or moving up the chart but still under $50 is Pilsner Urquell, Becks or even Grolsch (don't mind myself a Grolsch every now and then).

If it is to savour a couple after work or to have a beer with dinner I would forget about buying a carton and grab a couple 4 packs of Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale ($16 a four pack) or Wicked Elf's Pale Ale (about $19 a four pack), exy yes but bloody beautiful beers.

To cover both bases grab yourself a carton of Oettinger and a 4 pack of Alpha or Wicked Elf's for less than 50 bucks, the boss can't complain about that.

My two bob.

Cheers.

ill buy a case of coopers sparkling ale longnecks at xmas time, i seem to really enjoy that beer around that time of the year, apart from that i dont buy beer anymore

cheers matho

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='795191' date='Jul 15 2011, 01:37 PM']:icon_offtopic:

PU is a SABMiller brand but is deffinately NOT brewed in Australia. The only licensed brewery other than PU itself is in Poland that I know of. They had to build a purpose build brewery to fit the brand requirements due to specific rules regarding the brewing process.

Back on topic..

I haven't bought a carton for a few years now so I can't add anything more...

Cheers
Booz[/quote]

Add my 2c: I've read CocaColaAmatil (who has OZ license to Pilsener Urquell) are now brewing Peroni, Miller, Grolsch all under license out of the new Bluetongue brewery is NSW but as mentioned are not allowed brew PU... hence sub $50 Urquell is best value by far, sub $40 is almost a joke!

Also was inspired by Screwtops 'Black Yak' looked forward all day to trying one, alas local bottle 'O stocks no dark beer... AT ALL... will have to visit Uncle Dans after work tomorrow.

And finally, whilst i enjoy Sleeping Giant as a well priced IPA, its little brother Atomic Pale is good value fridge filler and more craft-cautious mate-friendly...

dont often buy slabs but the last one was punk ipa for a camping trip earlier this year. last slab before thet was grolsch at christmas 09.

Coopers pale ale at $45..... down to $42 with my wifes woolworths employes discount card.

That was the same price as XXXX Gold and i do like coopers!

seriously, $42 for 24 xxxx gold, their ripping you off. i dont blame you go the coopers.

Back