What Do You Buy A Carton Of?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
Here's the question. I have not been brewing much due to a problem with excess bitterness, I will post about this in a different thread.

This leaves me tea totalling or buying from Dan Murphys. Every visit to Dan's I seem to reach for the old faithful LCPA.

What else do you guys buy when you want to stock up and get a carton? Please bear in mind this. If I spend over $70 on a carton of beer the next money I spend will be on a divorce lawyer! Also I live 150km from the nearest DM's so don't get in there much and as much as I love getting a mixed 6 pack of English yummies I am trying to stock up for a weekend here.

I enjoyed a carton of the sleeping giant IPA. I know it's not a real IPA you bloody snobs and have read the reviews on it but I liked it OK! It also didn't get the divorce lawyers activated as opposed to the 'carton' of Murrays Nirvana (16 bottles) I bought at Christmas time and really enjoyed.

Any other ideas guys and gals?

Yours from the boonies
Henno

Henninger. 3 tallies for $9.99 - good old Reinheitsgebot honest Pils. Why spend $70 on a carton of an Australian Mimic of an American idea of what a pale ale would taste like if they hadn't had Prohibition.

for me it's been

the james sqires.
JSGA
JSAA
JSP

The matilda bays (but $90 a slab pushes my friendship)
Dogbolter
alpha pale ale

Jamieson brewery pale ale

abbortsford invalid stout :)

Slabs of Coopers - Best Stout/James Squires - Golden Ale/Little Creatures - Pale Ale.
They are the back bone of the fridge, littered with sixes from Murray's/Holgate/Kooinda/Feral/Bridge Rd.
'stralyen all the way!!!!!

depends how much money i have if i dont have alot i buy coopers pale ale if i feel like splurging i go white rabbit dark ale i love that stuff but its verry expensive at $68 a carton.

Coopers Sparkling... Should be able to pick it up for $45 a carton.. Cant beat it

2 x 30 pack xxxx gold maroons special edition FTW

your qld'er right !!!!

it's about all you can by in CQ....
(i am an ex CQ'er)

I don't go over $50 for a carton. The usual is oettinger if I'm feeling cheap, Pilsner Urquell if I'm not. I used to buy Barons pale ale a bit and also quite liked their ESB, but I haven't seen them for a while now.

James Squire IPA lovely stuff very drinkable.

Henninger tallies like BribieG reckons but buy a case at about $34.00 even cheaper very nice thirst quencher.

Edit: Henninger from your local Liquorland.

Konig pils for $40 a carton. Very good beer! But I dont think DM has it, Liquorland does though.

More importantly, lets solve your problem. Any poor quality plastics in your process? Hows the PH? When does the bitterness appear, before packaging or after? Filtered water?

The Oettinger Pils is excellent value for money, I also like the sleeping giant. The Konig 'king' is also really good. Most the time I buy a carton I actually get Powers Gold 30 pack for $30. I make big IPA's and pommy beers etc at home, so it's actually nice to have a lighter / blander beer for a change, and at 3% means I can have a couple and still do things.

When's the next pi55 up? We will have to come up and work out 'what tha', is happening.

QldKev

I dont buy cartons of anything unless im gonna keep the bottles. This means to me that there's more than just the value of the beer inside the bottles to consider, as it helps me with my own stock control of homebrew.

If i buy a carton its always JS Pilsner or the IPA. The JS bottles are great to reuse. Love both of those beers. In fact the only JS beer im bored of is the sundowner lager. Wasn't bad the first time i bought it, but the other beers in the range are more interesting..

The option for buying a decent beer cheap is Oetinnger (pils/lager). It's around $30-35 a box, and is a good cheap beer.

I love going to the bottle shop to try different things, but i never buy those beers by the box.

Oettinger.jpg

Henno, a fav around these parts lately is Black Yak - 50/50 Fat Yak and Tooheys Old.

A blend I was introduced to by my youngest son. A great drink, a little bit commercial, a little bit craft. For the cost of a carton of each the per drink price is reasonable for a really enjoyable beer. He's due home again this weekend whoo hoo.

Cheers,

Screwy

Pilsner Urquell for under $50 can't go past... at my locals they usually have them for $44 - $48. When i look around for something else... you really can't compare. In my opinion a better be for the price cannot be found.

It's also nice to have a good quality lager around, instead of making one and having to wait a couple of months for lagering.

10-08-2008.NGD_08Pilsner.GTP2G8KVV.1.jpg

I somehow ran low on homebrew earlier in the year so bought a carton on CPA, prior to that it was a mixed carton of bootleg on our honeymoon last year.

Pilsner Urquell for under $50 can't go past... at my locals they usually have them for $44 - $48. When i look around for something else... you really can't compare. In my opinion a better be for the price cannot be found.
It's also nice to have a good quality lager around, instead of making one and having to wait a couple of months for lagering.

I am led to believe the better one to get, as was pictured, is the Urquell with "imported" on the neck of the bottle. Otherwise it is brewed under licence...

Nothing these days but Sleeping giant would be a contender as i find it an easy to drink beer that fits my palate.

Just thought of another good one, White Rabbit Dark ale

QldKev

I used to grab carton of Amsterdam Mariners, 24 x 500ml cans for $40. Didnt mind it at all.

Latest posts

Back