What are you Watching ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the wife and i just became obsessed with a new series called hostages. It has toni collette but its good stuff!

Dave70 said:
Sure you're not talking about his new series, The Layover?

I've always seen food as kind of an adjunct to the rest of the action even from the Cooks Tour days. Getting a glass / mug / dirty plastic cup of the local alcoholic beverage seemed to be the main thrust.

If you like the show, get a few of his books. Bourdain really is an engaging author.

Sorry, I actually meant Parts Unknown. It's newer than both no reservations and the layover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Bourdain:_Parts_Unknown

Never get tired of this advert for New Idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just suffered through "After Earth" with Will Smith with his son who has no acting talent whatsoever and not only refuses to take any advice from his pa but really needs to shave the bum fluff off his adolescent top lip. Probably the worst movie ever made. A vanity piece, even worse than the usual Kevin Costner wankfest movies.

Ad after ad. Repeat after repeat.
Even when you flick channels, the ads seem synchronized.
On top of that, Foxtel are upping their prices.
If not for the fact that IQ stored Playschool and Fireman Sam provide an effective diversions for nappy changing and so on, I'd drop these fuckers like a bad habit.

We had Poxtel at the old place, $100 a month for fifty channels of nothing worth watching most of the time. I'm not into sports, we had Poxtel for the the likes of Nat Geo and History, and a movie package. However half the time the shows were junk exercises like "spider eating toads of the okavango" or "worlds most flimsy bridges" etc. Movies would be thrashed to death and mostly in pretty ordinary fuzzy definition to crowd as many channels as possible into the bandwidth.

I don't miss it at all. Apart from ABC and SBS, many of the new commercial digital channels are showing decent stuff like the "Earth" series as opposed to when they started up a few years ago and only showed Bonanza or Beverly Hillbillies. And I've built up a decent Blu-ray collection so I can watch things ad free, spending way less than Foxtel.

Edit: and of course in the last couple of years, "catchup" tv is becoming big, heaps of full movies on YouTube now, and a fair bit of interesting content on the likes of Sydney Morning Herald SMH-TV that's snuck up on us, surprising how many people haven't heard of it yet.

Bribie G said:
We had Poxtel at the old place, $100 a month for fifty channels of nothing worth watching most of the time. I'm not into sports, we had Poxtel for the the likes of Nat Geo and History, and a movie package. However half the time the shows were junk exercises like "spider eating toads of the okavango" or "worlds most flimsy bridges" etc. Movies would be thrashed to death and mostly in pretty ordinary fuzzy definition to crowd as many channels as possible into the bandwidth.

I don't miss it at all. Apart from ABC and SBS, many of the new commercial digital channels are showing decent stuff like the "Earth" series as opposed to when they started up a few years ago and only showed Bonanza or Beverly Hillbillies. And I've built up a decent Blu-ray collection so I can watch things ad free, spending way less than Foxtel.

Edit: and of course in the last couple of years, "catchup" tv is becoming big, heaps of full movies on YouTube now, and a fair bit of interesting content on the likes of Sydney Morning Herald SMH-TV that's snuck up on us, surprising how many people haven't heard of it yet.
Like I said, the biggest hook is IQ and the ability to record stuff at the touch of a button. They can jam most of the programming up their arse however.
I'm about one loud mouthed US faux reality style show away from blowing the dish off the roof with SG's.
I'd miss my lifestyle, doccos and cooking programs - even grumpy old Rick Stein. As well as the constant German / Nazi bashing on the history channel.

My plasma TV hasn't even got a USB port. I think its time to move into the 21'st century.

My $25 Big W set top box can record onto a USB drive. Also plays music and movies from USB

Ducatiboy stu said:
My $25 Big W set top box can record onto a USB drive. Also plays music and movies from USB
At the touch of a button?

I ditched foxtel and instead increased my download limit to 200gbs a month. I download docos, movies and tv shows and watch them through XBMC installed on an Apple TV. networked to the loungeroom via an ethernet over power device. I have a second wireless router next to the tv so have good wireless coverage throughout the house and the kids xbox gets a good connection as well. The only thing I miss about foxtel is the IQ but am thinking of getting a PRV.

This Humax model is supposed to be a good model. One of the only ones that has a cooling fan. Also has an EPG which is supposed to be easy to use and you can series record on it.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/au/reviews/HumaxPVRSOUNDANDIMAGE.pdf

Then there is always an IceTV subscription, but I think I would try out the Humax EPG first and see how it goes.

http://www.icetv.com.au/store/PVRs/Humax_HDR7500T_500GB_PVR

Hubert said:
Got into Sons of Anarchy last year and watched 5 seasons in three weeks. Am currently catching up on season 6. Thought is was going to be a show just about bikies, but it is a whole lot more........

http://www.tv.com/shows/sons-of-anarchy/
Maaate..Wait until you see what happens in last weeks episode when you get to it....I didnt see that coming..... :blink:

I had one of these for my plasma but gave it away to a buddy (long story.....)

Yes there's a record button on the remote, never used it as I don't have a terabyte USB hard drive... yet.

Hitler channel.jpg

The chat about downloading TV and pvr's etc has me interested. I have a poor connection and a poor plan for data as i've never needed to download before, but i would be interested in bettering it if it was something that would work for me.

I have a twin tuner HDD recorder that takes usb ect and i am interested in knowing more about what i can do to acess TV other than free to air or god forbid pay TV.

I'm interested in just grabbing the shows i want to watch and watching them when i want to, My main interests are some sports like NFL football and Nascar, GP bikes etc and some documentary and lifestyle (cooking mostly) series or individual specials.
I watch very little drama, the Sherlock Holmes series being one of the only, but of course the missus watches about 70 of them.

My plasma is not internet ready and neither is the relatively new hdd recorder. So i'm assuming i would be either getting somekind of box for the lounge room or d/l ing onto usb sticks from the computer and plugging them into the HDD.

I know nothing about the proccess, what's available, what's legal or where to find the info i need, so if someone who is up on these things would be prepared o lay out a short outline (or link to one) and a couple of links so i can start researching i'd be a happy man.

At the most basic u can download the shows via the internet onto your computer or usb then plug the usb into your tuner. Depending on how old the tuner is some video formats may not work.

I download stuff and put it onto a usb for my old man. He did buy a new player about 8months ag9 cause some of the formats didnt work.

I download onto a dedicated pc with a 2tb hdd. I have a wireless media player which cost about $110 which reads off the home wifi and picks up stuff ive downloaded on the hdd.

Theres a thread in the OT section with some of this stuff. Ill find it for u.
edit http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/68919-which-torrent-client-are-you-using/?hl=torrent isnt bad for a read. Theres some links etc. Theres quite a few threads in the OT section it seems on having a search. A lot are about torrent clients and protecting ur internet id so not really what ur after.

Easiest is to download onto a usb then plug into you hdd/pvr/tv. You could get something like Telstra Tbox, but your looking at upgrading your conection. Most stuff on the net will be illegall unless sourced from the original broadcastor. You will need to make sure the dpwnloaded content is in the correct format for your player.

Some please cut'n'repost for punkins benefit. He is having issues.

Latest posts

Back