What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The time has come. The stars have aligned. Now destiny awaits.

Walk softly, bow your head, and give thanks, for the Year of the Magpie is upon us.

Floreat pica

Go Pies!

^ He was actually here almost exactly 54 years ago. Came out to Sale in Victoria to seal up a potentially explosive gas blow out on the MARLIN platform in Bass Strait near Lakes Entrance.

Had a beer first, but...
(from the Canberra Times, Thu 5 Dec 1968, p.1.)
1672555350177.jpeg

About the same time Hollywood released a movie about Red Adair’s life with John Wayne starring in the lead role. The soundtrack was by film and TV composer Leonard Rosenman. His Hellfighters Symphony sounds like the typical backdrop to a big budget, disaster movie of the era.

Last edited:
One of the anthems of Aussie summer, referencing cricket in its vernacular title. Reminds me of long beachy days, Holdens with slidey bench seats, girls in boob tubes, and sweaty nights sinking beers from ring-pull steel cans.

A great bass line too - Howzat by Sherbet. Onya Daz.

A beautiful rendition of the immortal Vincent played and sung so well by the beautiful MonaLisa Twins.

And the story of how the song came into being, told by its composer Don McLean.

I am partial to all things and most versions of "Ghost Riders in the Sky".

I never was a huge Elvis fan. Not my thing. Not that I think his work was bad. He had a great voice in his prime and some of his songs are very memorable to me after all these years. Just that the ostentatious costumes, and the type cast movie roles, and the gaudy Vegas shows made him appear a bit superficial to me. So when it comes to modern day Elvis impersonators I’ve been a bit - ‘so what?’.

Then recently a female friend told me about this bloke called Bouke and his band Elvis Matters and how “wonderful” he is. So I promised to look him up on YouTube. And holy shit this Bouke not only sounds like Elvis, he has mastered Elvis’s southern drawl to a tee. And though he doesn’t go in for the replica costume and hairstyle fakery, he’s got the Elvis moves and mannerisms down pat. But the thing is he’s not even a native English speaker, but Dutch. Puts a lot of native English speaking Elvis clones to shame.

Elvis hasn’t left the building. He’s starring on a recent Dutch TV talent show singing Suspicious Minds:

And In The Ghetto:

Sorry for the longish post, but I’ve had a few and I’m All Shook Up.

The time has come. The stars have aligned. Now destiny awaits.

Walk softly, bow your head, and give thanks, for the Year of the Magpie is upon us.

Floreat pica

Go Pies!

And so, now it begins. First bounce of AFL season 2023 is tonight.

I'm high on the hill,
Looking over the bridge,
To the M.C.G...

(If its unfamiliar to you, and you’ve ever wondered what the “the clock on the silo” was, then here it is in all its statuesque Melburnian majesty in 1987).

On this day 32 years ago Eric Clapton's four year old son Conor fell to his death from an open window in a high-rise apartment in New York City.

Soon after Clapton wrote this beautiful song, Tears In Heaven.

Here he is just a few years ago, an old man now but still singing about the young boy he lost almost half a lifetime ago.

Not a betting man, but I love this.

An Ode to the Quokka, a poem by Brittany Taylor.

A great song performed by Billy Strings to celebrate the great Willie Nelson on his 90th birthday (which was yesterday).

It’s called California Sober for reasons that will become apparent.

Thanks Billy, and happy birthday Willie. Have one for me.

Last edited:
Gordon Lightfoot is another veteran who stills plays on. He’s 82 now and it’s sad to think he won’t be with us much longer.

Here he is playing on Canada Day last year (1 July) two of his songs: I'll Tag Along and his signature If You Could Read My Mind (skip forward to 3:50 if you just want to hear the latter - and plenty of other versions sung by a younger Lightfoot to be found on YouTube).

There was a story in Variety magazine last year that reprises his life and career on the release of a new documentary about Lightfoot.

‘Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind’: Film Review

And check out Rick Beato’s musical deconstruction of If You Could Read My Mind as part of his ‘What Makes This Song Great?’ series on YouTube. It’s interesting to hear how a studio producer picks out the song’s unique characteristics, and how the different musical elements are brought together to create the sound that crackled out of our transistor radios all those years ago.

RIP Gordon Lightfoot 1938-2023

1683066720214.png

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...inger-songwriter-gordon-lightfoot-dies-at-84/

Randy Meisner, bass player, singer, songwriter and a founding member of the Eagles has died.
1690814185491.jpeg

He conceived, co-wrote and sang the inspiring song Take It To The Limit which ends with his voice soaring up the register. Wonderful stuff.

Otis Gibbs gave this insightful tribute.

RIP.

Latest posts

Back