What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long form interview with Sir Paul McCartney on ABC TV (Australia) last week.
Man, to think of the musicality of the times he's lived through.

In the interview he digs down deep and reflects on his beginnings with his band mates and the loss of two of them, and Linda and others; the creative process of song writing; and the inexplibable humanity of music and how different chord progressions can make us feel different things; and, of course, Ringo.

Seeing Ne Obliviscaris in Sydney next month, so they're on heavy rotation right now

Also pretty chuffed that Rivers of Nihil are touring with them

When I heard this morning that singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett passed away a few days ago I was going to raise a beer to him this evening, but then I remembered that It’s Always 5 O’clock Somewhere.

I was never a ‘parrot head’ follower of the musical sub-culture he created called ‘Gulf and Western’ - tropical, boozy, breezy, summer party stuff that was easy to listen to if it popped up on the car radio. But credit to him, he not only survived decades in the fickle music world but did it with a smile on his face, maintained a 46 year long (second) marriage, and carved out his own laid-back musical niche. Made some smart business decisions along the way too while filling venues continually until shortly before he died.

Paul McCartney said of him:

1693809220307.png

It’s not quite five yet, but who cares. Might go mix up a jug of a margarita.

Rest in peace, Mr Buffett.

Last edited:
It's Grand Final time in Melbourne, and there's music in the air...

My only daughter got married on Saturday.

Paul Simon said it so much better than I could (but then, he always has).

I'm gonna watch you shine
Gonna watch you grow
Gonna paint a sign
So you'll always know
As long as one and one is two
There could never be a father loved his daughter
More than I love you

@Feldon Congratulations to you and the family. My the new couple have many years of health, happiness and enough plus of what they need.

And now, a day later, the music video of Now And Then is released, drawing together vision of the Beatles from across the decades and bringing them into the present one last time (the creation of director Peter Jackson and his video wizards).

I Hate New York, the first release of a new song written and sung by a young New York girl.

I don’t listen to much modern pop (as you might have guessed), so to more seasoned listeners this tune might be a little generic? But I found it catchy and bouncy and the lyrics honestly provocative and pleasantly profane, even funny, in the politically correct world of most modern music (IMO).

Maybe the production could be tweaked because I found some of the words got buried under the heavy beat (but that might be my speakers or an old man’s hearing).

Whada y’think?

Last edited:
A song that is 50 years young this month - Billy Joel’s Piano Man.

And he still packs out his monthly concerts at Madison Square Garden in NYC. Here he is just a few weeks ago. Onya Billy.

And these guys, still closing out concerts with a song they released back in 1975.

Anglo-Irish singer Shane McGowan, co-founder of The Pogues, died a few days ago just short of his 66th birthday.

His band fused Irish folk music with London punk. And with Shane’s bad teeth and their use of traditional instruments they stood in earthy contrast to the garish ‘Glam Rock’ scene that saturated much of the 1970s.

(The original name of the band was Pogue Mahone - an Anglicised version of a Gaelic phrase meaning “kiss my arse”. They shortened the name to The Pogues when the BBC threatened to stop airplay of their music after complaints from Gaelic speakers in Scotland.)

Many memorable songs. Here he is singing Dirty Old Town.

Thanks, Shane. RIP.

EDIT:
Irish TV show The Late, Late Show dedicated a tribute to Shane McGowan with a panel of his contemporaries.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back