What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the generation who developed the Moog synthesizer may I request you to please define real instruments.

I think he was having a swipe at user_cswmaiden (a few posts back).

Can't help personally. No real experience listenig to trance or house other that a group called shpongle which has elements of both (along with psychedelic, dub, ambient..)

Crosby Stills Nash and Young - Deja Vu

Even without weed this album is absolutely incredible......but if your into it.......even better B)

cswmaiden said:
Hey Guys, always on rotation for me would be.

Pearl Jam (Anything)
Foo Fighters (Anything)
Elbow (Grounds for Divorce)
Joe Pug (Nation of Heat or Hymn 101)
The Bronx (Heart Attack America)
The Gaslight Anthem (Old White Lincoln or The '59 Sound)
Against Me! (Pints of Guinness Make You Strong)
Guns N Roses (Anything from Appetite for Destruction)
silverchair (Anything from Frogstomp)
Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running)
Mumford and Sons (Babel)
Boy and Bear (Anything off their debut album)
Arctic Monkeys (Fake Tales From San Francisco)
The Courteeners (Not Nineteen Forever or Acrylic)
Twisted Wheel (Who Stole the Sun)

Its pretty broad in terms of musical styles. But for me it all has one thing in common. Real people playing real instruments. That is pretty much the rule round my house. I'll listen to almost anything that is real music. The songs in brackets are what I think would be a pretty good introduction if you have never heard of a particular band before. (Just in case your keen to find some new music.)

Craig

(Kraftwerk)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bribie G said:
What is the difference between House and Trance? couple of YouTubes examples ?
Classic House:

Classic Trance:

The modern stuff in each isn't quite the same anymore but the differences are still approximately the same.

Bribie G said:
As the generation who developed the Moog synthesizer may I request you to please define real instruments.
I believe Robert Moog was born in 1934. :eek:

I was in Brisbane on holidays last week and we decided to do a bit of shopping in the city.

In Queen Street Mall there was this girl called Brianna Carpenter playing. I stopped and watched her whole set. Fantastic.

She mentioned that one of her songs was featured on an American show last year, Saving Hope.

It reminded me how tough it is to be a musician in Australia. You can have a song that is heard by millions around the world, but still need to play the lunchtime crowd at the shops
to get your music out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
All luck in the world to her, of course (especially after reading the comments on that clip), but three issues with the above post:

1. TV isn't well known for spotting the talent that actually gets people off their bums and in to pubs.
2. I know it is slightly better in Melbourne than other major Australian cities but there are TONNES of venues with live originals everyday of the week here and I don't expect other cities would be quite like going to a totally different country.
3. There has NEVER been a better time for musos to be able to get their music to reach an audience than today.

I agree with most of what you say Bum, But:

1. she had an original song played on a major American, hence world wide, TV show. Surely that's got to account for something.
2. Yes she is out playing her music live on a regular basis, even at the local shopping mall.
3. It is very easy at the moment to get your music out to an audience but it is harder than ever to make a living from it.

Having been in a couple of bands in my youth who recorded, toured, and made a little (very little) bit of money, I think it is much harder today to make a living as a musician.

Getting a gig at the Queen st mall isn't that easy and it's pretty great exposure. Far better than playing in the corner of a noisy pub to a comparitively small number of indifferent people, and in many respects better than playing your own show to 50 people who have already heard of you.

Here's the thing about that TV exposure though - that video only has 5,000 hits. 5,000 hits is nothing on Youtube. I don't mean this as a comment on the material or her as an artist but with TV exposure to leverage she should have her music in WAY more ears than that.

From what I'm hearing it is actualy more likely that a band with some following can make some money but it is harder work. Much more DIY and you need to be social media-savvy. It's just different now, I guess.

It is great she's out there sharing her craft everyday (or whatever) but she's playing to nannas and single mums and shit if she's playing a shopping centre. She needs to think about the market she wants and go there. Anything else is just waiting for the mega-happy ending of Wayne's World where Mr Big just walks into the basement and offers the band a major contract.

I'd be really interested to hear what bands you were in if you don't mind sharing. Looking at your profile and checking your DOB, if you were making a little bank it might have been at a time I was seeing bands more often.

Liam_snorkel said:
Getting a gig at the Queen st mall isn't that easy and it's pretty great exposure. Far better than playing in the corner of a noisy pub to a comparitively small number of indifferent people, and in many respects better than playing your own show to 50 people who have already heard of you.
Only if you plan on getting by selling CDRs.

I saw a band on Sunday night and the line at the merch table made it impossible to get out of the venue.

I'm not talking about a band. The kinds of acts which get a slot at queen street tread that fine line between talent and pedestrian.

Yah, buskers. If all she wants to be and all Mattress wants her to be is a really popular busker then I take back lots of what I've said above.

Either way, she's still pretty awesome for how she's acted in the comments on that clip.

Queen st mall has a couple of open air stages set up with lighting and pro sound etc - so I suppose you could call it next level busking.

Whoa. Shit just got seri.

That's acually pretty cool.

All this talk of shopping malls and merchandise...got me doey eyed and nostalgic. I know there are heaps of musos on AHB, and I am just a hack who has ploughed away in three different bands in various roles. But this is something from my previous band that was great fun to do and stood us in good stead. Plus I am completely pissed, one of my best mates has just gone through a horrific experience while another is in the midst of a life-affirming event...

Anyway, the old-coulda-been-champions (loved in Europe, blahed in Oz for not smoking enough drugs and playing enough slow riffs) Downriver:

http://youtu.be/_cBIAqfFu48

Badass.

Although, a few more bongs would have put you right in the pocket of what I'm listening to right now. Just sayin'.

Which ginger beardo are you?

Back