What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jello Biafra/Mojo Nixon: Are You Drinking with Me Jesus?

Last edited by a moderator:
The sound of about 15 V4 800cc MotoGP bikes tearing around Phillip Island.

Confession's new album The Long Way Home is getting a lot of play in my house right now
favourite song would have to be Gimme ADD
I've also been listening to Opeth's new album Heritage a bit, very different from everything they've done so far

M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Might fire up a bit of Calvin Harris later on.

Augustus Pablo - East Of The River Nile, and I even bought Visine for my red eyes tonight...

I haven't smoked anything for years, the Visine was actually occupation-related. The question is though, would I listen to Augustus Pablo if I had never smoked anything in the first place? If you smoke a tree in a forest and no one is there to smell it...?

Nero - Welcome Reality

Reminds me of old Prodigy/Utah Saints with a hint of Pendulum.
Awesome sound.

It comes as no suprise to anyone that I am the type of reactionary wanker who has real trouble in coping with the fact that "my" little underground and/or cult band that I love should become broadly known (although as an adult and a staunchly underground muso for the last 17 years I wish most of them well...most of them...), but I tell ya - I just bottled two batches, ground the grains for tomorrows amber ale and racked a monster (pronounced monsah in real English - i.e. Ray Winstone English) of an AIPA and have to admit that all these years later White Zombie's Astro Creep rocks the **** out. When it came out I was all "La Sexorcisto is the best horror rock album since the misfits, forget this ministry wannabe shit" but it is a damn fine rock and roll album!

edit: just swapped to Danzig's last album - no idea what he's singing about but he seems to be having a good time haha

It comes as no suprise to anyone that I am the type of reactionary wanker who has real trouble in coping with the fact that "my" little underground and/or cult band that I love should become broadly known (although as an adult and a staunchly underground muso for the last 17 years I wish most of them well...most of them...), but I tell ya - I just bottled two batches, ground the grains for tomorrows amber ale and racked a monster (pronounced monsah in real English - i.e. Ray Winstone English) of an AIPA and have to admit that all these years later White Zombie's Astro Creep rocks the **** out. When it came out I was all "La Sexorcisto is the best horror rock album since the misfits, forget this ministry wannabe shit" but it is a damn fine rock and roll album!

edit: just swapped to Danzig's last album - no idea what he's singing about but he seems to be having a good time haha
I had that White Zombie 2cd album... but it went "missing" years ago.... bugger bugger.

Dunno how well this will go down here. Playlist for tonight has been:

Kowloon Walled City

Saw these guys ywice on the weekend and picked up their awesome 2 LP "Ritual Abuse" on cream vinyl no less. A very punishing listen.
Cough

Anyone else like the doom/psychedelic/stoner/sludge end of metal?

There's plenty of underground connoisseurs in these here parts...

Doomfest in Melbourne today - I can't make it but awesome line up. Whitehorse back in town after the US tour, shit hot.

I must admit that when sludge turns into drone I get very bored. I'm too old to worry about what people think of my musical choices, but as an example I prefer Dopesick to In The Name of Suffering... sure, drone and 3 minutes of feedback was cool and new and groundbreaking and I bought the shit when it came out and loved it, but I get tired of it now if it isn't accompanied by an actual song as well. Yob are a class act and a great example of how dynamics and tuneful songs can work with great intensity.

Thanks for the KWC link - big tone.

I've actually drifted back to grind now after a few years of being all about 'the riff'...I missed the urgency... but having said that grind is hardly the music for all occasions hahaha. The luxury of the mp3 age I guess is that rather than 'commit' to listening to a whole album I can flit about like a 3year old with too much sugar in their system should I choose to.

Been listening to Fear's first record after watching The Decline of Western Civilisation for the first time in years. Lee Ving is a legend. Going to have to find a copy of MD45 (not the shitty one where Mustain re did the vocals) now.

Kowloon Walled City

Saw these guys ywice on the weekend and picked up their awesome 2 LP "Ritual Abuse" on cream vinyl no less. A very punishing listen.
Cough

I'm partial but punk/thrash is my number 1. Been giving Black Tusk's new record a listen today, pretty ******* good. Think I've got the house to myself tonight so I'm gonna get loaded and blast Dopesmoker through my new Wharfdale Diamond 9.2s. I love these speakers.

Oh and Lecterfan, sad news in the world of grind that Kevin Mahoney from Siege died this week. They were true pioneers.

Kowloon Walled City

Cough

Generally not into metal (some few exceptions) but I am a big fan of Melvins and swans.

I'm not suggesting swans are in any way metal but their influence on sludge is recognised.

Would be happy to further explore doom and sludge as most of the music I like is down tempo, dark and deep (note wise as opposed to profound although surely profundity is to be had in swathes too.)

As a result of my last post, I've been checking out acid king and eyehategod.

Acid King is getting a vote so far for future purchases. Eyehategod not too bad but will revisit.

Next listen: Maska Genetik:

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Saw these guys earlier this year. Then the Melvin a few hours later

Im listening to steel checker plate being hot rolled. Night shift is fun :)

Im listening to steel checker plate being hot rolled. Night shift is fun :)

Well, That's pretty metal! \m/

Looks like I'm in good company here then. Acid King, Eyehategod, Melvins, High on Fire, Swans, Sleep, Whitehorse, Black Tusk all mentioned bodes well

Not listening to anything. TV Party Tonight!...

Back