What are you brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegBadgery

Reaction score
I have a bitter in secondary and a brown ale in primary. I have some munich and pilsener malt so I made both using half and half. I haven't tried munich before so will be interested to see how they turn out.

cheers
reg

I am still looking for the holy 'lager' grail - so I have two lagers on the go.

I just bottled a 'stella artois' clone - has been lagering for six weeks or so. Initial hydro and bottling tastes are good (and have been getting better) so hopefully it should be nice.

My latest brew is a Baverian Lager from ESB. It is using their 3kg kits with 200grams of Munich Grain. I had never used grains before and I went over to ESB to get some Munich for another recipe that I was going to try. I have decided to put that on hold and used some of the munich in this lager.

Haven't has a taste or taken a hydro (apart from the SG) been in there just over a week. Will probs more to secondary soon.

I want to try an ale next - just tp pump it out and have it to drink while I play with the lagers.

Well lets see ...

Fermentor #1;
Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
500g Light DME
500g Dextrose
500g Maltodextron
24g Hallertau Hops
Safale

Fermentor #2;
Black Rock Pilsner Blonde
1.5kg Morgan's Extra Pale Malt
250g Vienna Grain
26g Hallertau
WLP025 Southwold Ale Yeast

Fermenter #3;
3kg Morgan's Extra Pale Malt
1kg Morgan's Lager Malt
250g Munich Grain
35g Super Alpha (60 minutes)
35g Cascade (15 minutes)
25g Cascade (1 minute)

(Went a little hop crazy on this one)

Fermenter #4;
E.S.B. 15litre American Pale Ale

Fermenter #5;
25 litre wash (for spirits)
- But we won't talk about that one, eh constable?

BTW, I am not really an alcoholic - two of these brews are for someone else.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

PMyers said:
BTW, I am not really an alcoholic - two of these brews are for someone else.
Sure they are Pete!

That what you tell the mrs anyway!

This sounds great Pete. If I had fridge space I don't think there's any limit to the number of brews I'd have on the go (given time, bottles etc) - I just love the process of brewing.

Are you using temp control?

cheers
reg

My brewing is all done in either a fridge (for lagers/pilsners) or in a room with 24hr air conditioning (for ales/weizens etc...).

Speaking of weizens, I saw (and consequently purchased and consumed) a bottle of Shfferhofer Dunkel Hefe-Weizen at Northmead Cellars the other day. This is the first commercial dunkel I have had the pleasure of tasting, and I was rather impressed. I still firmly believe the Shfferhofer "Orange" label Weizen is their best, and probably one of my all time favourite commercial brews.

Cheers,
Pete

Isn't there a dunkel on tap at the Lowenbrau Keller at the Rocks in Sydney?

I know I had a fantastic draught wheat there some time back - Franziskaner Weissbier - I'm sure I heard there was also a dunkel. Anyway the wheat I had tasted wonderfully fresh - amazing considering it's come from Germany.

cheers
reg

PMyers said:
My brewing is all done in either a fridge (for lagers/pilsners) or in a room with 24hr air conditioning (for ales/weizens etc...).

Speaking of weizens, I saw (and consequently purchased and consumed) a bottle of Shfferhofer Dunkel Hefe-Weizen at Northmead Cellars the other day. This is the first commercial dunkel I have had the pleasure of tasting, and I was rather impressed. I still firmly believe the Shfferhofer "Orange" label Weizen is their best, and probably one of my all time favourite commercial brews.

Cheers,
Pete

Have you tried the Weihenstephen range of weizens? The hefe is godly, and the dunkel too. I personally prefer them over the Schofferhofer.

60 Litre fermenter
Lawn Mower Lager

25 Litre fermenter # 1
Colonial Lager

25 Litre Fermenter # 2
Ginger Beer

25 Litre Fermenter # 3
Empty :(

In kegs
18 litre # 1
Hellish Bock

18 litre # 2
Australian Wheat

18 Litre # 3
Belgian Lager

20 Litre # 1
Xmas Belgian Triple Bender

45 Litre # 1
Empty :(

Should be kegging the Belgian Lager end of the week, so then I think I'll put down a draught.

Beers,
Doc

Got three going at the moment

Vienna lager (all grain) wlp southern german lager yeast
Pilsner urquell clone (grain plus adjucts) wyeast budvar 2000 yeast
British pale ale (all grain) wlp british ale yeast .

All of these beers have varying amounts of munich,cararoma,carapils,chocolate,crystal malts used in the mash.

Whole hops

fuggles
goldings
saaz
por
hersbrucker

Looking forwrd to drinking these ones they are all going just swimmingly,

xcheers

SiMo

My oath, you blokes brew a bit :)

I've just got the Busty Blonde in a fermenter and the Headless Honey in bottles aging. Too broke to have anything else on the go.

Vinds.

kook said:
Have you tried the Weihenstephen range of weizens? The hefe is godly, and the dunkel too. I personally prefer them over the Schofferhofer.
I must say I have not had the pleasure. Where can you get them?

Cheers,
Pete

In kegs too?

Damn, where do I start?

IPA
Coffee Porter
Amber Ale
American Pale Ale x 2
Irish Red
Strong Scottish Ale
Belgian Smoked
Peach Pale
Hefe-Weizen
Light Pilsner
Mid Strength Bitter
Pilsner (Being lagered in the keg)
Blush Zinfandel (Yes, I know. I have been told before that it is a crime to force carbonate wine using a keg, but it's just more convenient that way dammit!)
Not to mention the eighteen or so batches still aging in bottles.

Hmmm... no stouts. Well I'll have to fix that :rolleyes:

I did mention before that I WASN'T an alcoholic, didn't I?

Cheers,
Pete

Doc ,
i just gotta ask ....
what is a lawn mower lager ???

?
:huh:

merry christmas
simon

PMyers said:
I must say I have not had the pleasure. Where can you get them?

Cheers,
Pete

I know in Perth you can buy them from the International Beer Store (T/A International Beer Club). I think theyre the sole australian importer for them. Several other bottles shops in perth stock the weihenstephan range now, but they all buy it through the IBS.

If you know of any bottle shops that are willing to import new items to their selection, suggest they get a few crates of weihenstephan from IBS in perth :)

sboulton said:
Doc ,
i just gotta ask ....
what is a lawn mower lager ???

?
:huh:

merry christmas
simon
It is a light mid-strength lager that you can throw down after a hot afternoon mowing the lawns. You know when the first couple of beers don't even touch this sides :p
Basically I use a good lager kit and just throw some lager and wheat malt at it.

Beers,
Doc

At the moment, I just bottled

- Coopers India Pale Ale (half a kilo of light malt and some Northern Brewer finishing hops). This one failed when I accidentally primed it with Maltodextrin instead of dextrose. I have since opened every bottle and added half a tsp of dextrose to each bottle - will let you know how they go in a weeks time; and

- Belgian Wheat Beer (Morgans unhopped wheat malt, WYeast Weinstephan liquid yeast, Northern Brewer bittering Hops and Hallertauer finishing). I tasted this one from the hydrometer tube before I primed and bottled, and was fantastic even though it was warm and un-carbonated! mmmm...warm overtones of cloves, nutneg and banana!

and in the fermenters:

- Maple Porter (3kg Dark Malt Extract Syrup, 680g Crystal Malt, 230g Black Patent Malt, 750ml Pure Maple Syrup, 1 tsp Irish Moss, 85g Fuggles Hop Pellets (55g at 60 mins, 35g at 2 mins), 2 pkgs Safale Ale Yeast.

- Vienna Lager (3kg Pale Liquid malt, 110g each of Caramalt, Crystal malt and Munich malt, 85g Black Malt, 28g Hallertauer hops @ 45mins, 56g Hallertauer @ 30 Mins, 28g Hallertauer @ 15 Mins, WYeast Bohemian Lager Liquid yeast. This one's in the fridge for 6 weeks at 2-4 C.

Snow - sounds great! I can't wait until next payday, when I can put a new batch on :) I think I might try that Tripel recipe in the Kitchen forum, it sounds divine.

Vinds.

I've got 2 on the go at the moment.

Munton's Premium Gold Kit - Smugglers Special Premium Ale (I think that's what they call it), I will eventually keg this one I think.
Clone of Cascade on the go as well.

Will start some of the recipes in the kitchen section early in the new year, I'm really looking forward to it actually

I'm planning a porter, stout and an India pale ale as soon as the brewing fridge is free. By gee reading some of these resposes I'd love to have as much storage capacity.

cheers
reg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back