What are you brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shall be putting down a Witbier this weekend with some dried wild orange peel.

Got some raw wheat and all that sort of thing after much reading on the site...

Planning on using something similar to the recipe from BYO that was posted around somewhere.

If anyone else has done that recipe and has any comments please feel free...

This will also be my first excursion into liquid yeast...

Dunkelweizen 4 me.

To be racked onto the yeast cake from my NSW Kmas Kase weizen. The latter will go into fridge for a little CC time, before being bottled (perhaps with W34/70).

Beerz
Seth out :p

Running out of Stout so will be doing a big batch this Sundee.

Ive been thinking the same thing, I mashed at 63 to help attenuation and it has been sitting at 1.020 for the past 4 days :(

Don't be afraid to push the ferment temps up to 30 degrees (or more) guys... As horrific as it sounds the Saison strain tends to go to sleep otherwise. Particularly late.

Dupont primary ferment at 30. ;)

Warren -

Thanks warren, it's sitting on 28c at the moment, ramp it up to 30c .
And Jye, what was your OG? mine was high at 1070.

OG was 1.056 and it was at 25C for the first week and at 30C this week... dont know if I can get the temp any higher, its already sitting on the hot water system :D

Makes one think the WL version is a bit different to the Wyeast one. Mine ( from a pup from warrens wyeast pack) chewed it's way down to 1004 over 4 weeks. The last week or so was very slow but still working. From memory the OG was in the mid 1050's. I never had to go past 30 deg though. My starter wasn't real big either..

Brent

Steve,
Will be having a taste of my Golden Challenger Ale this w/e, its a simular recipe and concept to yours. I didn't put any wheat in but the rest is about the same....freaky!

A Scottish 80/- chilling as I type. Yes remember chilling!

Too many pales in the keg fridge so time for a dark ale. Keen to taste the results from using W1728 from the yeast swap (thanks Batz). Boy does it go off, made up a 500ml starter and put it on the stirplate, krausen within 2 hrs and made heaps of yeast, and really quick, all done in 24 hrs so pitched another 500ml of DME wort in, now at 1.5L and krausen up the neck of the 2L erlenmeyer flask.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Scottish 80/-
Style: Scottish Export 80/-
TYPE: All Grain
Taste:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.50 L
Boil Size: 34.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 32.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.75 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Bairds Golden Promise) (6.0Grain 88.1 %
0.45 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 EBC) Grain 8.3 %
0.15 kg Melanoiden Malt (Joe White) (39.4 EBC) Grain 2.8 %
0.04 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 0.7 %
20.00 gm Challenger [7.50%] (60 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
25.00 gm Challenger [7.50%] (15 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
5.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00%] (60 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
1.5L Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)Starter Yeast-Ale

Just mashing an oatmeal stout now, also will be making my xmas german pils (double batch) on sunday, will be ready just in time for xmas.

This morning, not too long ago, I mashed in at 38C for an acid/hydration rest.
Will soon be topping up with more hot water to perform the protein rest for 30 min (or so) at 50 C.
I have my "Classic Beer Styles" book of German Wheat Beer, and have decided to double decoct the Dunkelweizen (I love alliteration).

It'll be a 25 litre batch, and the water:grain ratio will be 3.5:1

Will keep U tuned.

Seth :p

Tomorrow I'll be brewing 40 litres of Ash's Mash Paddle winning porter. Only two changes (due to what I have on hand), but it should hopefully be close.

Beers,
Doc

I'm still making brown wheat porridge, and am performing the first saccharification rest (of the double decoction). Stove top decoctions are a drag, but will have to do until I can get the dungeon floor concreted and the brewery installed, and the possums removed (whole 'nother story).

May make a Belgian Golden ale tomorrow.

Seth :p

Edit 3:39 PM - Have finished the 2nd decoction and rest. Raising mash temp to 76C for mash out, and tally ho - on to the lautering. Time for a beer from the Xmas in July Case - T.D.'s Boston Lager, I think. Gotta get these beers into me soon.

Just running off another APA. Lots of Amarillo.

I'm running off, too, now.

First runnings are 1.067 SG, or 17.0 Brix.

Will batch sparge this brew.

Tastes quite nice already, if a little chocolatey, with a silky wheat/Pils/Vienna/Munich backbone.
Yep, I'm a taster, and I reckon it helps my brewing to taste my way along the process.

Seth update over :p

Running off the second, and last, batch sparge now.

SG is now 1.027 (7 Brix). 10 brix less than the first runnings. This is barely a mild ale. It has a lower SG than my Berlinisch sauer Weisse.

Hopping will be taken care of by 20g of Perle (6.8 % AA) @ 60 min and 1 plug of Tettnang at 30 min.

Is anyone reading this?

2 hour boil for a dark wheat ale.

I wanna drink it now!!!!

Seth out :p

Just closed down the lid on my partial mash Wit.

Don't know how cloudy etc it will be but it had plenty of raw wheat, wheat malt etc etc.

Tasted pretty good in the hydrometer sample anyway...

Got loads of good info from this site to formulate the recipe so we'll see how we go!

Decided on a whim to brew today. Just grinding up the coriander for a Belgian Pale Ale. No chill, and I'm going to pitch once the hot weather here in Sydney. Two cubes worth, so one will be fermented with WLP500 Trappist ale (apparently the Chimay yeast, Wyeast 1214) and the other with WLP530 Abbey ale (apparently the Westmalle yeast, Wyeast 3787). Any advice on those yeasts would be great.

Yes, we are listening, Seth. :rolleyes: Sounds like a tasty number. You still testifying on the decoction train then. :lol:

Totally agree about the tasting. I used some Gula Aren (Indonesian palm sugar) on this one. Mighty tasty stuff, turned the litre of wort I used to dissolve it totally black. I really want to taste this one now too. :D

Sounds like there are some mighty fine brews being made across this fair land this weekend. :beer:

Well the Perth lads just cranked out 120L of something along the lines of Timothy Taylor Landlord Pale Ale
beat that :p

Good Day
Waiting for the water to heat for a SB and OB with MO, Amber, CaraAroma, EKG, Fuggles and First Gold with WLP002.

First attempt at a robust porter on Monday , nice birthday present from My LOVELY WIFE

WLP530 Abbey ale (apparently the Westmalle yeast, Wyeast 3787). Any advice on those yeasts would be great.

Fermenter headspace & a blowoff tube - that's all i'll say. :ph34r:

My NSW Xmas case sparkling ale is in the mash tun as I type.

3.58kg pale ale malt
335g wheat malt
160g dark crystal

600g sugar added to boil

12g Pride of Ringwood 20mins the rest at 60mins to 30 IBU.

Stolen yeast from a longneck of Cooper's Sparkling Ale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back