What Are You Brewing III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never have and never will add spec malt to a pilsner. I sometimes add up to 30% munich or vienna and on 1 occasion added melanoidin.

Define specialty.. It aint base malt! :lol:

Melanoidoin is just munich on roids. :lol:

I think of spec malt as crystal malts and roast barley.

hehe yeah, i knew what you meant. Toasted, Crystal and Roasted and its a specialty for me. Higher kilned base malt like muncih or vienna.... nope, its still basemalt. ;)

Got to do a pilsner or a helles sometime soon. Time to take advantage of the cooler ambients around during winter i think.

hehe yeah, i knew what you meant. Toasted, Crystal and Roasted and its a specialty for me. Higher kilned base malt like muncih or vienna.... nope, its still basemalt. ;)

Got to do a pilsner or a helles sometime soon. Time to take advantage of the cooler ambients around during winter i think.

The fridge is barely switching on at this time of the year brewing lagers/kolschs/alts etc

Last year i switched the keg fridge off for 4 months at this time of the year and it never went above 10C. In fact, sitting out in the bar watching the footy and my pint will actually cool down. I so need to fix the AC in the bar <_<

I normally decoct pilsners, dunkels etc but since i punched out 2 brews in a row i took the KISS approach and did single infusions (66C)

Although i did do a decoction mashout :D

My usual schedule is 50-52, then decoct to 64-65. Sometimes i do another decoction to 70, other times i skip straight to mashout. I love decoctions and if i was only doing 1 brew i would have but they are time consuming.

I never have and never will add spec malt to a pilsner. I sometimes add up to 30% munich or vienna and on 1 occasion added melanoidin.

DrSmurto,

How does the non-decocted pilsner (66 degree single infustion) compare to the decocted pilsner as far as body, head & maltiness are concerned ?

Also, how much melanoidin do you use in a pilsner if the rest of the grist is only pilsner malt ?

thanks

DrSmurto,

How does the non-decocted pilsner (66 degree single infustion) compare to the decocted pilsner as far as body, head & maltiness are concerned ?

Also, how much melanoidin do you use in a pilsner if the rest of the grist is only pilsner malt ?

thanks

I'm one of, if not the last person you should be asking about pilsners. They are my brewing weakness, my achilles heel if you will :lol:

I enjoy decoctions more for the process and the smells you get from boiling mash than the end product. I can't say definitively whether decoctions make better beer as i have never done a side by side comparison. I always change something in the grist not to mention slightly different temperatures for rests etc

I think there is a depth of malt character you don't get with single infusion 100% pilsner malt but couldn't say if adding 5% melanoidin gives the same result.

All i can say is give it a go and see for yourself.

Lazy Eye Porter (Brown Porter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Colour (SRM): 26.0 (EBC): 51.2
Bitterness (IBU): 30.6 (Average)

74% Pale Ale Malt
10% Munich I
8% Caramunich I
5% Chocolate
2% Brown Malt
1% Black Patent

1.8 g/l Goldings - E.K. (4.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/l Goldings - E.K. (4.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 75 Minutes

Fermented at 20c with Wyeast 1275 - Thames Valley Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I normally decoct pilsners, dunkels etc but since i punched out 2 brews in a row i took the KISS approach and did single infusions (66C)

Although i did do a decoction mashout :D

My usual schedule is 50-52, then decoct to 64-65. Sometimes i do another decoction to 70, other times i skip straight to mashout. I love decoctions and if i was only doing 1 brew i would have but they are time consuming.

Thanks Dr S! Hope I haven't given the game away for a comp??!!

I'm sold on decoctions + 100% base malt- I wasn't getting quite the results I wanted from spec malt and I wasn't going to do the big matrix of testing them all as that would take decades. With a lager the protein rest/ single decoction is time- consuming but not too inconvenient, but with ales I moved the decoction to mashout as head retention plummeted from the protein rest, it just doesn't have quite the same oomph at mashout, IMO, but still nice enough.

The other thing I'm sold on is your Landlord hops schedule, many thanks indeed for that. 30- odd batches later and it hasn't changed much, more late Styrian is fine though. :icon_cheers:

I'm one of, if not the last person you should be asking about pilsners. They are my brewing weakness, my achilles heel if you will :lol:

I enjoy decoctions more for the process and the smells you get from boiling mash than the end product. I can't say definitively whether decoctions make better beer as i have never done a side by side comparison. I always change something in the grist not to mention slightly different temperatures for rests etc

I think there is a depth of malt character you don't get with single infusion 100% pilsner malt but couldn't say if adding 5% melanoidin gives the same result.

All i can say is give it a go and see for yourself.

will do, thanks for the reply

Beef stew bitter. I was brewing while using my slow cooker, and grabbed the stew spoon to stir the mash, whoops!.

82.8% JW trad
8.6% Munich
4.7% Caramunich II
3.1% Amber
.8% Pale choc

35g First gold FWH
10g Newport 60 mins
30g First gold 15 mins
30g First gold 5 mins

67c mash, 90 min boil. 8g each gypsum and calchloride in mash

28.6 IBU

Thames Valley ale II slurry.

using my HG POR flowers today. Simple recipe to let it shine. the unknown is the IBUs! :icon_drool2:

Hausgrown POR Ale
Australian Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/05/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
2.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 39.60 %
2.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 39.60 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.80 %
0.05 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 0.99 %
30.00 gm Pride Of Ringwood HG [10.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 36.8 IBU
4.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.56 %
Bitterness: 36.8 IBU
Est Color: 6.1 SRM

Mash Profile
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 72.7 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 12.00 L of water at 81.5 C 73.0 C

Notes
CaCl2 Mash
CaSO4 Boil

American Rye IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 54.00 Wort Size (L): 54.00
Total Grain (kg): 13.40
Anticipated OG: 1.060 Plato: 14.85
Anticipated EBC: 20.5
Anticipated IBU: 71.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
37.3 5.00 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 4
26.1 3.50 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 5
13.4 1.80 kg. TF Pale Rye Malt UK 1.034 8
7.5 1.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
7.5 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich II Germany 1.038 26
1.5 0.20 kg. Rice Gulls Australia 1.000 0
6.0 0.80 kg. TF Pale Crystal UK 1.034 100
0.7 0.10 kg. TF Pale Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 550

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.10 24.8 First WH
70.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.20 24.4 40 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.20 7.2 20 min.
30.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.10 6.6 15 min.
30.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.10 4.8 10 min.
50.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.20 4.0 5 min.
60.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.10 0.0 0 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.20 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale

Trying out my White Chocolate Wit Bier today.

700.00 ml White Chocolate Extract Syrup (into Fermenter) Misc

What's in this syrup? What's it taste like? Can we get some feedback on the Wit when it's ready?

Sounds awesome.

Doing Tonys EKG Bitter tomorrow. Its a popular beverage here.
Cheers
Steve

Need beer fast so...This Arvo: Warra78's Try Again Hefe

23 litres
2500 Wey Pils
2500 Wey Wheat
100 Wey Carahell

Tett 40 gms @ 60 mins.
3068 smack pack.

Forgot the rice hulls, so see how we go...1st stuck sparge coming up?? Hope not.
This is one of my easy favourites now.

John. :icon_cheers:

Grist to crack today, mash and brew tomorrow

Extra Special Bitter
-

Type:All grain
Size: 22 liters
Color: 9 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 35 IBU
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.8% v/v (4.5% w/w)
Grain: 5kg JW ale
500g JW crystal 50-60L
250g Belgian biscuit
150g Carared

Mash: 90 minutes, 68 degrees, 70% efficiency
Boil: 60 minutes
SG 1.040
30 liters
Hops: 60g Kent Goldings (5% AA, 45 min.)

Caramelise 2 L

Mash: 2g CaCo3
2g CaSO4
1g CaCl

Boil: 2g CaCo3
2g CaSO4
1g CaCl

Yeast: Ringwood 1187

Another Anti-Reinheitsgebot Panty-Remover Kristallweizen.

12L
3kg Ale Malt (at 67C)
250g Dextrose
17g D Saaz for 60
50g Coles Banana Lollies
2tsp Ground Cloves
Recultured WB06

The lollies have got gelatin in them so I add them just before the whirlfloc trying to get the protein to drop out and the isoamyl acetate to stay. Huge amounts of banana, cloves and all that bubblegum from the WB06.

Another Anti-Reinheitsgebot Panty-Remover Kristallweizen.

12L
3kg Ale Malt (at 67C)
250g Dextrose
17g D Saaz for 60
50g Coles Banana Lollies
2tsp Ground Cloves
Recultured WB06

The lollies have got gelatin in them so I add them just before the whirlfloc trying to get the protein to drop out and the isoamyl acetate to stay. Huge amounts of banana, cloves and all that bubblegum from the WB06.

cloves = :icon_vomit:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back