What Are You Brewing III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a lot of choc for sure but you'll have to suck it and see. Might be delicious.

How did you not notice?

manticle said:
It's a lot of choc for sure but you'll have to suck it and see. Mihjt br delicious.

How did you not notice?
I just read the recipe wrong. That + inexperience = f*ck up. I should of realised it was a huge amount of specialty grain. I eventually realised... just not until it was to late.

lukiferj said:
What was your total grain bill?
Lukiferj it was 6.55kg Marris Otter and .75kg of Choc Malt... should of been .075 of Choc Malt...

manticle said:
It's a lot of choc for sure but you'll have to suck it and see. Mihjt br delicious.
CM2 hacked your account, mate?

Good to see you back around Fourstar!

That is definitely a lot of choc. I would definitely let it ferment. Might not be the best beer you make, but could be interesting. If you're kegging you could always blend it.

Knocked this out today. First attempt at a Mild.

Also using Danstar Nottingham for the first time.
Code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.00 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)         Grain         1        83.3 %        
0.20 kg               Brown Malt (128.1 EBC)                   Grain         2        5.6 %         
0.20 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC)   Grain         3        5.6 %         
0.20 kg               Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC)               Grain         4        5.6 %         
20.00 g               Fuggles [4.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           5        12.1 IBUs     
20.00 g               Fuggles [4.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           6        6.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Fuggles [4.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min   Hop           7        0.0 IBUs
Code:
Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.60 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification  Add 30.66 l of water at 71.8 C          68.9 C        60 min        
Mash Out          Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min               75.6 C        10 min

lukiferj said:
That is definitely a lot of choc. I would definitely let it ferment. Might not be the best beer you make, but could be interesting. If you're kegging you could always blend it.
No not kegging. Ill see how it goes and report back.

I tried what I'm guessing is called "Argon's no-chill post cooling mini boil late hop addition thingy"??

22L batch

3.2 kg Vienna
2.5 kg pale malt
400g wheat
250g pale crystal
250g dextrose

Mash @ 64*C for 60 mins. Mash out @ 78*C. 60 min boil with only one hop addition; 10g chinook @ 45.

No chill to about 10*C. Take 3L and boil. Add 25g each of centennial & citra for 15 mins, same again for 10 mins & 20g each of centennial, citra & chinook for 2 mins. Add this back to the other 19L in the fermenter and pitch yeast (craftbrewers American ale dry yeast).

image.jpg
This is what it looked like after only the second addition tonight. Curious to see how this actually works.

KingKong said:
No not kegging. Ill see how it goes and report back.
You mean freeze distill it and make choc eis porter :) amazing with ice cream.

Been able to brew yesterday and today and am using up a few final kg's of some grain and hops I have laying around

Both are pale ales to use with a 1272 starter I have going from yesterday's leftover wort.

Yesterday:

40% GP
38% vienna
10% amber
10% wheat
2% heritage xtal

40/40/20 galaxy, centennial & simcoe @ cube

45 IBUs

Today:

100% munich

70/30 amarillo & chinook @ cube

50 IBUs

EDIT: First recipe didn't add to 100%... -_-

im not going to bore you with my basic kit/extract recipe, ok i will, its a Knappstein Reserve Lager clone.

Mangrove Jack Dutch Lager can
Black Rock unhopped light can
dry wheat malt .05kg
25g nelson sauvin hops

OG. 1.056
IBU 26
EBC 14

Knappstein Reserve Lager clone. In D-rest at the moment, but on tastings of hydro samples, it is probably the best tasting brew ive made to that point so far :p

50 liters of Kolsch tomorrow.

90% Boh pils
10% wheat
Tett 40 min 120g
Tett 10 min 30g
Kolsch yeast

OG-1.044
FG- 1.008

Should be good. Haven't brewed a Kolsch for a year or so.

Knocked out a Coconut Cream Stout last night and a Schwarzbier the night before.

practicalfool said:
You mean freeze distill it and make choc eis porter :) amazing with ice cream.
Whats all this about then? Completely over my head re freeze distil?

sp0rk said:
Sp0rk's Choc Porter (Robust Porter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.064 (°P): 15.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.29 %
Colour (SRM): 34.0 (EBC): 67.0
Bitterness (IBU): 31.1 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

80.54% Maris Otter Malt
10.5% Munich I
5.4% Chocolate
3.55% Black Roasted Barley

2 g/L East Kent Golding (5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (5.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale

Notes: 100 grams of Cacao nibs 10 minutes before the end of boil

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
Man Im just drinking one of my first Choc Porters I put in the keg last week......Very similar to yours but I did a single infusion at 69 deC, used cocoa powder in the no chill and 1469.
Tastes rediculous, super malty. And its a deep, deep red colour in the light, with a brown chocolaty head that lasts and lasts. Absolutely love this stuff. The EKG is great too, nice and floral. Id like to make the same beer with a different hop. I think ill try Styrians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back