What are you brewing II ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know, you've pre-empted me, I really hadn't thought anything out before visiting Ross's emporium (I just needed to get a couple of beers into the comp!). I'd got half a stupid AAAmerican IIIPA planned (hence the hops) and had already typed my grain order for a Landlord 'style' (with the styrian etc) the night before. Thanks for the nudge, TFGP should be afforded the appropriate respect...

i'll probably freeze the fruity hops, and... i reckon there might be some comedy value in a GP with huge First gold and my flavour of the month, 1968, then adding a bit of Brett and a couple of not American oak pellets to the secondary for a few months...

Going to have a crack at a couple of pseudo Octoberfest beers this weekend, an Alt and a Kolsch, with the plan to let them sit in primary for a couple of weeks, then rack and CC for 3 weeks, .
I haven't got the lagering capacity to brew the real thing, but these two , plus a fresh weizen and a couple bottles of domestically produced schnapps should make for a reasonable hoedown. :icon_chickcheers:

Regards

Do you know, you've pre-empted me, I really hadn't thought anything out before visiting Ross's emporium (I just needed to get a couple of beers into the comp!). I'd got half a stupid AAAmerican IIIPA planned (hence the hops) and had already typed my grain order for a Landlord 'style' (with the styrian etc) the night before. Thanks for the nudge, TFGP should be afforded the appropriate respect...

i'll probably freeze the fruity hops, and... i reckon there might be some comedy value in a GP with huge First gold and my flavour of the month, 1968, then adding a bit of Brett and a couple of not American oak pellets to the secondary for a few months...

Triple IPA. :eek:

Picturing hop juice with some grain waved over the mash tun. AKA, engine degreaser...... :lol:

here's what's brewin at chez maple

Tribute to Brewdog (How to Disappear Completely)

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 44.00 Wort Size (L): 44.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.23
Anticipated OG: 1.036 Plato: 9.07
Anticipated SRM: 12.0
Anticipated IBU: 207.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 51.76 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.031 SG 7.75 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
55.3 4.00 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
27.7 2.00 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.038 4
6.9 0.50 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2
3.3 0.24 kg. JWM Amber Malt Australia 1.038 23
3.3 0.24 kg. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
2.8 0.20 kg. Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 1.034 178
0.7 0.05 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 381

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 19.7 Mash H
60.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 37.9 First WH
20.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 14.0 60 min.
80.00 g. Columbus Pellet 13.70 81.9 60 min.
40.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 14.3 30 min.
40.00 g. Columbus Pellet 13.70 20.9 30 min.
36.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 4.2 3 min.
85.00 g. Columbus Pellet 13.70 14.5 3 min.
200.00 g. Columbus Pellet 13.70 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast will likely be a split of Nottingham and 1968 just for kicks...

whoa mate. 207 IBU's.....thats just nuts.

Scruffy what comp is that? (unless you are doing a specialty brew for the 2010). If I had that amount of GP I'd split it all in 2, mash 3.75 with some polenta or cornflakes, add a bit of Carafa and make a Camerons Strongarm type easy drinking dark bitter finished with Styrians. UK breweries are using some US hops now, even Brains of Cardiff :eek:

The latest shining edition to our cask ale range, SA Gold was launched in 2006. Its refreshing and clean taste instantly proved popular with both consumers and industry experts winning awards only a year after being launched.

SA Gold is a full-flavoured, hoppy and refreshing golden ale. Careful use of hops creates a satisfying bitterness, perfectly balanced by vibrant citrus aromas and complex hop flavours from late-hopping using Cascade and Styrian Goldings. A deliciously satisfying and refreshing pint!

4.7% ABV

Put down a brown porter yesterday, first brew in ages:

OG 1.056
33 IBU
55 EBC

6kg JW trad ale
300g Weyermann carafa I
300g Simpsons medium crystal
300g Simpsons golden naked oats

Millennium bittering
1 EKG plug @ 5 minutes

and fermenting away with Saf T-58, just for sumpin' diff'rent.

whoa mate. 207 IBU's.....thats just nuts.

And doubly so when the expected OG is 1.036 :blink:

I hope its a typo and the batch size should actually be 22L, not 44L?

Tribute to Brewdog (How to Disappear Completely)

Cheers for the reminder. I'd be meaning to try brewing this but forgot about it. Will have to get one going soon for this warmer weather.

Put this one down yesterday...One of our favourite IPA's from our recent trip to NY

Adam's IPA
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 13/09/2009
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment:
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.60 kg Pale Malt, Pilsner (Barrett Burston) (3.7 EBC) Grain 67.90 %
1.70 kg Munich Malt 1 (16.0 EBC) Grain 20.61 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 9.70 %
0.15 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 1.78 %
90.00 gm Amarillo [8.60 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
90.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (22 min) Hops 45.6 IBU
90.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (15 min) Hops 28.3 IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Measured Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.32 %
Bitterness: 73.9 IBU Calories: 690 cal/l
Est Color: 15.0 EBC Color:

cheers Ross

nope its correct. mega hopped light alc beer. cant wait to try it.

:lol:
Totally OTT, but now I really must try it.

They cough up the recipe for it on the Brewdog BN show. It's an interesting concept that I'm keen to try.

Asked and answered... but it's all correct. If it turns out, this will be my contribution to the mexi-swap

They cough up the recipe for it on the Brewdog BN show. It's an interesting concept that I'm keen to try.
and this is where I got the inspiration. I know at least one other in Oz who has given this a run, and dead keen to see just what its like.

and this is where I got the inspiration. I know at least one other in Oz who has given this a run, and dead keen to see just what its like.

I noticed you've cut out the caramalt. Which IIRC was about 1kg for a 20L batch. Do you have any concerns about not using it? Just asking because I thought the idea behind using such a high % of pale crystal was to beef up the body & sweetness to balance the insane hop levels for such a small beer.
I'm interested to hear how it goes for you.. I want to get a clone down soon too :icon_cheers:

Dr Smurto's Golden ale using Coopers Sparkling as the base.

1st time I've used real hops . .. they smell weird IMO lol VERY fruity!

Cheers

I noticed you've cut out the caramalt. Which IIRC was about 1kg for a 20L batch. Do you have any concerns about not using it? Just asking because I thought the idea behind using such a high % of pale crystal was to beef up the body & sweetness to balance the insane hop levels for such a small beer.
I'm interested to hear how it goes for you.. I want to get a clone down soon too :icon_cheers:
FFFFFFAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. Had a look again at this recipe, and I have stuffed this up, Dammit, somehow I picked Vienna instead of Caramalt. I know I was in a hurry when i put it into promash initially, but never thought to check it again.

No I really question whether there is enough maltyness to carry the hop load, not likely... bugger bugger bugger. anyway, live and learn, we'll see how it comes up. Thanks for pointing that out though.

FFFFFFAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. Had a look again at this recipe, and I have stuffed this up, Dammit, somehow I picked Vienna instead of Caramalt. I know I was in a hurry when i put it into promash initially, but never thought to check it again.

No I really question whether there is enough maltyness to carry the hop load, not likely... bugger bugger bugger. anyway, live and learn, we'll see how it comes up. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Steep and add some?

Steep and add some?
uncharted territory here, I'm 4 days into fermenting...on a 1.036 with nottingham, I figure i'll be almost done...you think it is still feasible and that the flavours would still mesh as opposed to 'layered' maltiness? open for input here fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back