What are you brewing II ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottled one of my last Kits yesterday to make room for a....

AG...Dr Smurto's today
I also bottled a small (approx 10 litre) batch of my first AG which came to around 13 bottles.

I cut the grass last week!
I did have yard work to do but i varnished the banister on the stairs instead.
Next weekend i better pull my finger out and do some housework instead of renovations and making beer.

Unfortunately i left my beer making too late this year and my supplies are really low, i am drinking the leftover kit brews that i didn't like enough to drink over summer.
Some improved, some didn't :(

Very chilled out brewing day today.

After a run of english beers i decided i need to brew a bitter :blink: That and the fact its been 3 whole months since i used the ringwooid yeast and i am suffering severe withdrawals.

My take on Black Sheep Ale

3.75 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 87.25 %
0.25 kg Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (145.0 EBC) Grain 5.82 %
0.25 kg Wheat, Torrified (Bairds) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.82 %
0.05 kg Black Malt (Bairds) (1300.0 EBC) Grain 1.12 %
45.00 gm Fuggles [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
15.00 gm Fuggles [3.90 %] (20 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Fuggles [3.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

20L
OG 1.044
IBU 33
EBC 27

Taking a flex day tomorrow :p , HLT is on a timer for a relaxing 10am start and grain is crushed - on a much smaller gap setting to see how that effects the efficiency. Using my home-grown chinook and bits and pieces of grain.

3.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 69.03 %
0.90 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 17.75 %
0.30 kg Amber Malt (Bairds) (100.0 EBC) Grain 5.92 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3.94 %
0.17 kg Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 3.35 %
25.00 gm Newport [11.00 %] (45 min) Hops 30.7 IBU
30.00 gm Chinook - Mt Torrens [9.00 %] (15 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
30.00 gm Chinook - Mt Torrens [9.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

20L
OG 1.056
IBU 45
EBC 16

Have mashed in a robust porter and a 80/- and will start the sparge shortly.
It is a wonderful morning.

Taking a flex day tomorrow :p , HLT is on a timer for a relaxing 10am start and grain is crushed - on a much smaller gap setting to see how that effects the efficiency. Using my home-grown chinook and bits and pieces of grain.

3.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 69.03 %
0.90 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 17.75 %
0.30 kg Amber Malt (Bairds) (100.0 EBC) Grain 5.92 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3.94 %
0.17 kg Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 3.35 %
25.00 gm Newport [11.00 %] (45 min) Hops 30.7 IBU
30.00 gm Chinook - Mt Torrens [9.00 %] (15 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
30.00 gm Chinook - Mt Torrens [9.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

20L
OG 1.056
IBU 45
EBC 16

Damn you people with flex days...despite being in an organisation with flex days I'm on flexible working hours...oh well I still get to go home and spend time with the kids at 4 everyday.

Just put down Devo's Big hopper from the database using Ringwood and my new methodology to minimise trub in the fermenter (thank you beerbelly kettle with tap and pick up) and ensure the right amount of yeast is pitched, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Have a Belgian planned for the weekend. My bro gave me a stack of grain from a recipe he picked up of the grain and grape website for a Belgian trappist.

3000g Pilsner Malt
2000g Dark Munich Malt
1000g Vienna Malt
500g Cara Aroma Malt
50g Chocolate Malt
500g Coffee sugar
32BU Hallertau Hops

I was going to mash and boil as per the recipe and split the ferment to do a side by side of the 1762 and 1388.

Have mashed in a robust porter and a 80/- and will start the sparge shortly.
It is a wonderful morning.

A flurry of activity in the Old Garage Brewery lately comrade :)
8 beers mashed in 7 days. I envy your time.

Rgds,
Pete

i just brewed a variation of goatherders very ordinary english bitter. changed the recipe a bit as per recommendations from nigep62 (some munich malt) and dr.smurto (ringwood ale wyeast).

it was also my first am brew. started at 6.30 yesterday morning and was all done and cleaned up by 1pm. which left the rest of the day for relaxing and enjoying, which i did. think most of my brews will be in the am from now on.

cheers

christmasbender

i just brewed a variation of goatherders very ordinary english bitter. changed the recipe a bit as per recommendations from nigep62 (some munich malt) and dr.smurto (ringwood ale wyeast).

it was also my first am brew. started at 6.30 yesterday morning and was all done and cleaned up by 1pm. which left the rest of the day for relaxing and enjoying, which i did. think most of my brews will be in the am from now on.

cheers

christmasbender

Good stuff christmasbender, am drinking my version now. Pic HERE and the munich was also Smurto's suggestion originaly.

Nige

orgy of brewing about to start in about an hour. Bottle the Strawberry Blonde Kiwi. Rack Bribie Bitter into cold crash. Pitch the Camerons Strongarm (has been sitting in cube for three days).
Meantime:

Aussie mainstream single malt single hop

4 kg BB Pilsener
500g rice
30g Superpride 90 mins

800g inverted white sugar

US-05 or maybe do it cold with Saflager s-23. Tossing up on that.

I'm betting this will turn out not unlike the old Carlton Draught from the 70s when it was just a pale blonde bitter pub beer and before they gentrified it and poonced it up in the late 90s with that brewery fresh w&nk.

orgy of brewing about to start in about an hour. Bottle the Strawberry Blonde Kiwi. Rack Bribie Bitter into cold crash. Pitch the Camerons Strongarm (has been sitting in cube for three days).
Meantime:

4 kg BB Pilsener
500g rice
30g Superpride 90 mins

I'm betting this will turn out not unlike the old Carlton Draught from the 70s when it was just a pale blonde bitter pub beer and before they gentrified it and poonced it up in the late 90s with that brewery fresh w&nk.

Save me a tipple please BribieG sounds very nice indeed.

4 kg BB Pilsener
500g rice
30g Superpride 90 mins

Sorry Bribie, can't see this one working, CUB clearly state in their advertising that Carlton Draught is 'made from beer', not those crazy malt and hops things you've listed there ;) Other than that it looks good!

:icon_cheers: SJ

I am about to pitch US05 in a "don't look at me" disfigured Quasimodo Frankenstein beer... brought the mash to a boil because I got distracted. Decided not to use my nice fresh hops, and used all my remaining cascades at 30 (about 60g) and put in 225g frozen wet POR at 5... Might even chuck another 200g frozen POR in as pot-ferment wet hop.

The Phantom of the Hopera

Yes Pete it is fun being on holidays. Going down the coast tomorrow and I am not allowed to bring the mash tun (and we are staying in a unit). Want to do a tripel and strong dark next weekend before the work begins again. See you Friday?

See a lot of people using the Ringwood Ale Yeast, I'd heard in the past that it floccs out real easy, gets lazy and won't finish the beer. Suposedly you have to keep stirring it up to keep it working. Is this still the case ? or have I been mislead ? I avoided purchasing a pack on the weekend for this very reason.

See a lot of people using the Ringwood Ale Yeast, I'd heard in the past that it floccs out real easy, gets lazy and won't finish the beer. Suposedly you have to keep stirring it up to keep it working. Is this still the case ? or have I been mislead ? I avoided purchasing a pack on the weekend for this very reason.

I would say that you would have to beat the crapper out if it, if this is the Ringwood ale yeast I am thinking of. If it's the same strain as used in the Ringwood brewery in Hampshire, they (for some unknown and wierd reason) got the yeast from the defunct Northern Brewers Hull (Yorkshire) brewery and it's a typical Yorkshire yeast, high flocculating and needs frequent rousing a-la-stone-square system. From what you report, sounds like the same beast.

I didn't know you could get it in Wyeast form - I see it's 1187. Never thought to look for it. Man, I'm going to try this in a Yorkshire Bitter seeing as we can't get 1469 for the forseeable.

Thanks for the inadvertent heads up Mika :icon_cheers:

Edit: beat the krausen back into the beer twice a day for the first few days then when primary is finished, rack to secondary and seal up tight until ready to bottle or keg. That way you are sort of emulating what goes on in the stone square where they have an upper yeast section and a lower wort section that gets the yeast pumped back into it every few hours and eventually sealed off tight for secondary.

Edit: apparently it produces heaps of diacetyl and needs a good long rest unless you like butterscotch beer ;)

Hmm, seems my Black Sheep Ale was AG # 50. Finally got around to renumbering my batches since the 1st 40 odd were kits and bits.....

See a lot of people using the Ringwood Ale Yeast, I'd heard in the past that it floccs out real easy, gets lazy and won't finish the beer. Supposedly you have to keep stirring it up to keep it working. Is this still the case ? or have I been mislead ? I avoided purchasing a pack on the weekend for this very reason.

I love this yeast. :beerbang:

I did ask when i first picked up this yeast about the reputed laziness and diacetyl rest.

In my limited experience ( 7 out of 51 batches) it does need a bit of attention for the first 3-4 days during which i 'rouse' the yeast by gently swirling the fermenter to stir up the yeast. I also like to ferment at 20-22C as ringwood produces so many wonderful esters :icon_drool2: .

As for the diacetyl rest, i leave the beer in primary for a full 2 weeks making sure it stays at or above 20C the whole time.

I havent picked diacetyl in any of my beers but i am pretty sure my palate cant pick it.

It flocs out brilliantly. My current batch of Landlord used 1187 and with no finings at all is clear, not quite bright but it only just hit the keg so early days.

Cheers and ester laden beers :icon_drunk:
DrSmurto

EDIT - the smell of the home grown chinook hitting the boiling wort was effin gorgeous! If it wasnt so damn hot i would have kept my face there......

And this should follow the Dr's last post :eek:

Just mashed in an original recipe Dr. Smurtos Golden Ale.
woohoo 66C on the dot.
Now to see how it holds up for 75mins.

Opened the 08 Amarillo Hops... still yummy! :D

Nige

Got my malt crushed for this last night - the Carafa addition was for a bit of extra colour, really trying to showcase the Motueka here as id like to know what exactly it gives..

OG - 1045, IBU's - 34
2.5kg Pils
800g Munich
120g CaraMunich III
25g Carafa Special III
250g Cane Sugar - Caramelised/inverted with some wort
60 : 20g Motueka 6.7%
20 : 25g Motueka 6.7%
FO : 10g Motueka 6.7%
WLP-001

Kegged a Dark Mild & English Pale last night and made a starter of WY1968.
Still undecided what I will make with it.
Thinking either a quaffer, an ESB or a sweet stout of some kind, ......... perhaps an Oatmeal Stout?
Much prefer to use London in an Oatmeal Stout.......but hey!
Either way I'll be mashing, so I'll be happy :)

Cheers,
Pete

I haven't brewed for 7 weeks, but tomorrow is definitely my day to brew a Mild.

Just made a starter of WY1968, so all systems "go" for tomorrow.

Not Wild Mild
Brewer: Robert
Asst Brewer: Elsie the Pug
Style: Mild

TYPE: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 24.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

3500.00 gm Pale Ale (5.9 EBC) Grain 82.16 %