What are you Brewing 2016?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sponge said:
Where'd you obtain that 100L barrel from Batz?

That was a Queensland thing, we got 48 of them just recently. Thanks to Martin!!

rsz_dscf7154.jpg

Such a QLD thing to do. we're too busy with Gus Gould..

OK....beer on our minds here.

Gus Gould..That some kind of a sour??

Kingy said:
Geez I dunno how people get 70%efficiency with big beers.
My highest alc beer brewed is 1.073 and my efficiency was 60% I just brewed a 1.066 beer with efficiency at 62%.
Surely yaz must be fly sparging to get 70% with 9%beer.
May have taken all day with the extra sparging and boiling off, but I did end up with 23L of wort into the fermenter at 1.100. That's without the sugar edition. 83% BH eff

My IIPA brew day aiming for 1080 went well short and even after adding 250g of dextrose still only got 1071.....my eff sucks on big beers.

DSGA, award winning recipe, straight up. For next camping trip in early March.

Looks like a 1.3mm gap on my mill is good for a recirc and efficiency balance (80% mash efficiency and 73% brewhouse).

1.048 and got the volumes we needed for 3x kegs. Happy days.

gallery_15839_1106_155475.jpg
gallery_15839_1106_225942.jpg
gallery_15839_1106_169923.jpg
gallery_15839_1106_147696.jpg
gallery_15839_1106_145692.jpg

Hey DJ, finally someone who makes a DSGA and doesn't use different hops or malt or .......lol

Interested to see the boil kettle pick up you use?

Haha, want to please the masses at camping, some of the darker beers we've brewed have divided the group. So gonna hook the rest of them slowly :p

I use a female-female 1/2" BSP 90 degree elbow, few mm from the pot bottom. Because of the wide opening you get low velocities across so less suction of the cone/trub, works great!

Yob said:
1.3mm Deej?

thats huge.. think I run at 0.8mm
I was getting stuck recircs! Being RIMS to i need max flow so kinda came to this working point of 1.3mm. Struggled last week with 20% choc and roast malt as they just became small pebbles and restricted flow. At 1.3mm i still cracked weyermann wheat malt today with only one pass

manticle said:
Altbier with tettnanger and styrians, trying out gladfield to compare with weyermann on a similar recipe.
Pils, munich and vienna, touch biscuit and choc, decoctions and late styrians, 1007 fermented cool.
hey mants, given your experience with euro malts/styles I'm v keen to hear how your palate compares the gladdy to wey malts.
Don't forget to report back!

Ps: good to see you're def back on the wagon at long last :lol:

Good to be back.
Certainly the unmashed glad malts are very crisp and fresh tasting. I get a plastic character from jw munich and vienna that the euros and gladfields don't have.
Their pale reminds me of the schooner malt I got in a mini bulk buy a year or so ago.

Loving the apa I made with their pale but a couple of euro styles will be the real test.

Sorachi Ace Summer Ale now in the cube.

91.8% Maris Otter
8.2% Torrefied Wheat

90 minute mash at 64C
OG: 1.050

Magnum for bittering and Sorachi Ace at flameout and in the cube, to 40IBU.
My 50th AG brew: so thanks to the AHB community for the information and inspiration.

Planning this for next weekend:

Summer Ale

~5%
25IBU
19L batch

74% JW pale ale
25% JW wheat
1% acidulated malt

Mash at 65C for 60 minutes

60 minute boil

10g galaxy, 15g summer at 20 minutes
10g galaxy, 15g summer at 5 minutes
10g galaxy, 20g summer dry hop for 3 days

Fermented with recultured cooper's yeast.

Mum in Law is over so I got the whole day to brew. Got up nice and early for the first 2 brews of the year. LP's Krispy Kolsch and my first IPA. Following Yobs lead I thought id make it a cube hopped IIPA. Never cube hopped.
Had to rummage through the mess to find a few things. Thought I needed some wort to make starters so I did that first. Took me a while to find my scales. First proppa run of the grain mill with the new motor. A mate came around to put some 3 phase plugs on my brew kettle and the new 98lt one that is soon to be up and running. Have a chat and a few beers. Muck around with the new pH meter and make some Brun Water profiles for the days brews.

So 5 oclock and I start brewing :lol:

Kolsch done. The IIPA boil is half way and Im about to get some hops ready.
Just wingin it with what I have (which is a shit load of hops thanks Yob :beerbang: )
JW Pale
JW pils
JW Munich
JW wheat
Caraamber
Dex
and a bit of Carafa 3 for colour

Citra, Simcoe, Centenial and Ella. 100g of each. Ill let it sit for a bit then 200g of the mix in the cube with half the wort then when the other half gets to 80c'ish ill put all the rest in the cube. Maybe dry hopped, maybe extract hopped.
Too many choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back