What Are People Using As A Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Geez people are going to get sick of all my questions soon.
I am looking to do an all grain german pilsner in the next few weeks. I need to try and source some equipment what are some of the mash tuns people are using and where did you get em. Also a boil pot that is big enough.

Cheers
:beer: Archie

The most common mash tun homebrewers use is the old esky setup with a braid/manifold/false bottom.
Your better of doing a search of AHB to get some ideas and see some pictures.

vl.

I use a 10 gallom 'Igloo' but a cheaper esky would be fine.

There's heaps of info here on this , pics as well do a search on the subject.
Bad luck the gallery is not up and running again,it was great for these type of questions.

Batz

For ease and simplicity....Go and get 2x20lt buckets and a long length of bubble wrap.

Put a tap in one bucket,as low as it will go. And drill hundreds of small holes(2mm) in the bum of the other one. Slide the drilled one into the one with the tap in it and wrap the bubble wrap around it.

Did me fine for a long time till I moved to a 55lt esky, and now Im going to go to a s/steel tun

I concur with Linz. I used the same bucket in bucket set up for ages till I scored a couple of s/s 50 lt kegs. I chopped the top out of one to make a 40 lt mash tun and a boiler for the other.
:D

If Jazzafish chimes in...He had my BIB last...I think he mentioned he passed it on to another new AGer.

Maybe you could get on the line???

Nice there are so many different ways to go about it, well i have just been down to my local bunnings warehouse and picked myself up some braided joey for the bottom and a nice little t piece all i need to know is what size tun is recomennded for a normal brew size there was a nice little 20l water cooler for $50 there at bunnings just not sure if it would be big enough. any suggestions

Cheers

I kind of like that keg mash tun setup you have tony. Do u ever get a stuck mash?

vl.

na mate it works great.

I have had some sparge real slow but they were very fine cracks with a lot of powder.

and 40% rye malt would clog anything!

i mash betweem 10 and 14 KG of grain at a time with no real problems except lack of insulation and temp drop.

but i mash in thick and infuse a kettle or 2 of water mow and then to keep it right.

the tube that drains the liquor out of the ton was tigged from the inside. I did a bit of swearing trying to get it done but it works a treat

cheers

Latest posts

Back