What Are Coopers Playing At?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchDudarko

Reaction score
Received this in an email today...
Coopers Brewery has signed a distribution agreement with leading US craft brewer Anchor
Brewing Company, which is expected to increase Coopers’ sales throughout America.
The arrangement may also lead to Coopers importing and distributing the iconic Anchor Steam
beer in Australia within the next two or three years.

Click here for full story

Is this a good thing?

Coopers Brewery has signed a distribution agreement with leading US craft brewer Anchor
Brewing Company, which is expected to increase Coopers sales throughout America.
The arrangement may also lead to Coopers importing and distributing the iconic Anchor Steam

Is this a good thing?

More beer choice in australia, sounds like a good thing to me, not that i really go the bottlo much these days.

Getting fresh Anchor Steam in Australia? Sounds good to me.

You can buy Coopers cheaper in the US than you can here.

Interesting.
It says "Importing and distributing". I guess Coopers would take better care of the beer than some other importers might so I guess is good.
I'd like to see the "fine print" though, as my guess is that sooner or later Anchor will be brewing Coopers under licence and visa versa.

Why not? We have professional brewers illegally (well clearly against the rules) entering the queensland amateur brewing comps here in Australia. Lucky you got the email in your inbox informing you of the intention.

Did you question Budvar or any Belgian Beers being imported by mega "retailers". Cant see a problem with a brewery striking a deal with another brewery to import a fantastic beer into Australia

cheers

the_new_darren

As I understand, Anchor Steam is held in the same regard as Sierra Nevada Pale, two of Americas pioneering craft brews.
We can now readily get one here , bring on the next I say! :beer:

On overseas beer forums you often see Coopers (commercial beers) mentioned and more often than not a "where can you get it?" comment. A stronger overseas distribution network would be great for Coopers as their US agents would already have access to thousands of craft brew outlets. Let's hope they are planning on expanding the global awareness of Pale and Sparkling etc, and not Coopers Clear or 63 - however I guess the Yanks would roll around laughing if they tried the latter two.

. A stronger overseas distribution network would be great for Coopers as their US agents would already have access to thousands of craft brew outlets.

yeah sounds like a smart business model, the percentage $ profit might be lower but your piggy backing with a well regarded brewer and their already developed network. Less hard work and up front expense etc for Coopers as well trying to break in to a big market.

Sounds like a good fit to me

Anchor Steam in San Fran....

That's like Coopers in South Australia

Both famous for authentic original warm brews

are we sensing an influx of one-way kegs coming into oz from the us? or will Coopers collect the steam kegs from the pubs and refill with their own then send back to the US?

Is this a good thing?

I was working in San Fran back in '04 for about 6 months, before craft beer and European beers were readily available (or perhaps before I knew how or where to look for it!).

On the whole found the American beer to be bloody awful. Tasted like beer favored cordial, no taste, no mouthfeel. I was forced to drink "imported" Fosters - brewed in Canada - tasted like crap, but it was better than the alternative.

This was all until I came across Anchor Steam at a community festival. Bloody beautiful. $15 per slab at Safeway.

This looks like a win-win too me. Anchor's different to SN, not as hoppy IMHO and not meant to be. A very good beer.

Let's hope they strike a deal as well with Sierra Nevada Brewing Company...... :beerbang:

Let's hope they strike a deal as well with Sierra Nevada Brewing Company...... :beerbang:

Why? We already get it via Phoenix in refrigerated shipping containers.

Good on Coopers - i'll be looking forward to getting fresh Anchor Steam and having a comparison for Mountain Goat steam - which I don't think is a bad drop for a fairly mainstream brew although the Pale is better.

I suspect that there'll be a ton more posters on brewboard.com saying "how do i reculture coopers yeast" and Australian Pale Ales will become the flavour of the month stateside :)

Anchor make some lovely beers - went on a brewery tour earlier this year - steam was delicious. I wonder how they'd stand up to the ocean voyage, or how they'd compare brewed under license.

Lets hope if they are coming over they come refrigerated. But I reckon they'll end up being Brewed under license.

You also might be interested to know that Coopers are planning an Aniversery Ale next year

That came straight from Dr Tim himself when I meet him a few weeks ago

Stay tuned

Brewing Company, which is expected to increase Coopers sales throughout America.

Is this a good thing?

Bring it on !!

Latest posts

Back