"Record beer sales for Coopers as it captures interstate market&#3

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going back about 15 years ago when I lived in SEQ I drank Sparkling on tap at the Ettamogah Pub, Sunshine Coast and at the Story Bridge Hotel. I'd guess that was #1 sales push back then, can't understand why it's not in more pubs nowadays as the #2 sales push has really worked well with the Green on tap in heaps of pubs and clubs hereabouts. I'd love to have a few draught Sparkies.

I'm always devastated when its not on tap at the pub.

Hmmm, New, Old, Carlton...............argghhh.......

And it not at my local :(

longlostbelgian said:
Ryan Harris swinging on a coopers stout long neck would look good!
Also Lion Nathan . . . . . oops, I mean Nathan Lyon :p

My local has Mild, Pale, Light, Dark at a swinging tap that currently has Sparkling on it, but has had Artisan, Celebration and Vintage as well...getting Best Extra Stout on thru winter.

A lot of younger drinkers are into Coopers, and women seem to like Pale Ale and Mild..

And they have done it with out huge marketing campaigns.

But gettting the V8 Supercars sponsorship for 5yrs was a master stroke

MartinOC said:
Fosters in a fancy bottle. It just gets injected with iso-hop the same as Fosters, just re-directed to a different bottling line.
Hey Martin,

This isn't true anymore, It once was, when I used to work there, they would brew up two separate batches and whichever one was closer to spec was Crown, Since SAB took over, Crown is now brewed using 'premium Malt' (whatever that is) and they don't use any dextrose or other 'fillers' to get their fermentable sugars up, it's all grain. As for the hops I'm not sure what they use anymore but it certainly isn't treated with the disrespect it once was.
This doesn't mean I'd drink it though. lol
SOURCE: My mate is the supervisor in brewing at CUB Abbotsford.

Have not seen Coopers Dark for a long time in any of the shops or Dan's round here.

At least they have Mild as a sponsor for the V8's drink a case before every race.

I think the fact that Coopers havent gone all silly with with their beers by slowly introducing new ones and making these new ones compliment the existing range.

That and not not changing there traditional beers. The market came to them, not like the other big 2 who drive the market

Coopers Sparkling has gradually changed. I've been drinking it for about 35 years when it first appeared in QLD and it was a darker beer, almost orange in colour. I believe they lightened the colour to appeal more to mainstream drinkers.

The Extra Stout has also been tweaked. It was my go to drink when I was a rep on the road in the 1980s and was around 7% ABV, it's now 6.3% which is a bit of an also - ran in the FES category.

However nothing too drastic.

I spotted the dark in our local bottlo the other day, have never tried it. Apparently Brains Dark (Cardiff) was the inspiration. Might try a sixer.

Ducatiboy stu said:
these new ones compliment the existing range.
They do for sure. Lightly hopped to not go all US on us.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I think the fact that Coopers havent gone all silly with with their beers by slowly introducing new ones and making these new ones compliment the existing range.
Except for Coopers Clear, which stands out like dogs bollocks on a cat.

IIRC, designed to attract low carb beer drinkers to the brand. Still, clever marketing, and I assume it was never targeted at people who already like the brand as it's dry, almost flavourless (some malt character) and insipidly gutless, as well as being a lager (which Coopers have had little success with, after many attempts).

Latest posts

Back