Weyermann V Bestmalz Smoked

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the sound of that Nick.

Bum et al - I'm sure in my searching around I saw weyerman had a smoked extract which they claimed was 99% smoked, so the idea can't be too out there - just going to depend on the maltser / smoker.

Following up on my own point, the following link shows the weyermann extract with 98% smoked
http://www.weyermann.de/usa/produkte.asp?P...&sprache=10

Also, slightly OT - sometimes <5% smoked in a beer gives a subtle hint that works more like a flavour enhancer than an actual smoked taste. I find 5% smoked malt and Fuggles/Willamette are great together.

I have found this as well, even up to 10% you don't really get smoky flavour coming through, but it enhances the other flavours, kind of like salt in a meal.

Just to make it even more interesting you can now get Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat, really looking forward to the first taste of beer made with this.
Of the two I find I prefer the Weyermann Smoked over the Best, I think is subtler the Best is a lot more in your face but big doesn't necessarily equal better.
Worth trying the "Nessie" by Eggenberg, uses nearly 100% Peated Distilling malt, if you are into really smoky beer.
Mark

While I'm still dipping my toe into smoked beers (I'm not sure yet whether I love them or hate them, but like Bum's 99% it is going to wind up one of. No middle ground) I'm pretty sure I'm going to struggle with oak smoked beers.
I picked up a bottle of the Schlenkerla oak smoked Doppelbock a few weeks back and it tasted exactly like carbonated Miso soup. Interesting, but became too much by half-way through the glass.

I didn't get miso but I didn't enjoy the doppelbock nearly as much as their marzen or urbock. Was a lot more camp fire than cured meat type smoke, bordering on ashy for my money. Like you, I'm fairly confident I won't be brewing with the new Weyermann oak variety any time soon.

...99% smoked and 1% something for colour...

I know Schlenkerla smoke their own malt so I can't ever nail a clone but my feeling based on previous experience is that the Weyermann couldn't deliver something approaching the right character at that rate. It is a fine malt but I wouldn't basically make a SMASH with it.
I brewed this today. It is obviously far too early to pass judgement but I will say that at the moment the smoke character is more like smoked almonds than the cured meat flavour I'm chasing. I hope fermentation alters that some. At present it doesn't seem significantly more likely to deliver the right character than the Weyermann so I will temper the statement above. The Best does seem to have a more full-on smokiness though - hard to say having never followed the same recipe with the Weyermann.

100% Wey smoked tastes like the smell when you open a bacon hock packet.

I have zero faith in your flavour descriptors, Rexona-man.

I have zero faith in your flavour descriptors, Rexona-man.

You Sir, have no olfactory sense! Amarillo and Rexona Sport deoderant are the very same thing! :D

Didn't someone here smoke their own malt and a judge described it as like drinking a bushfire? :lol:

Also, slightly OT - sometimes <5% smoked in a beer gives a subtle hint that works more like a flavour enhancer than an actual smoked taste. I find 5% smoked malt and Fuggles/Willamette are great together.

I've tried 10% with great results but it is an acquired taste.... as for smoking it yourself works a treat, like this:

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

Latest posts

Back