West Coast Brewers: Iron Brewer 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now we have the Sacks of goodies. Can someone document the details here?
I missed most of it at the meeting :ph34r:

Each kit contains:
Kirin - x kg
Hoepfner Rauch - x kg
Crystal - Colour? type? - x kg
Carafa Special III - x kg
Wheat Malt - x kg

Super Alpha - x %AA - x grams
Hallertau (Hersbrucker?) - x %AA - x grams
Goldings (Styrian?) - x %AA - x grams

Thanks
Asher

One question: Can we roast our own darker base malts if we like?

Hey Asher,

this is from memory last night and they are all approxamations as we mainly used cups to measure etc.

Each kit contains:
Kirin - 5 kg
Hoepfner Rauch - 1 kg
Crystal - Colour 145 ebc type Bairds Medium - 1 kg
Carafa Special III - 250 g
Wheat Malt - 500 kg

Super Alpha - x 11% AA - x 150 grams
Hallertau (Hersbrucker?) - 7% AA - x 150 grams
Goldings (Styrian?) - 6.5 or 5% AA - x 70 grams

yep. i asked if that was a possibility too!

EDIT: Ammended % AA

Super Alpha - x %AA - x 150 grams
Hallertau (Hersbrucker?) - 11 %AA - x 150 grams
Goldings (Styrian?) - x %AA - x 70 grams[/b]

Thanks Rob
11% AA Hallertau? More like 11%AA Super Alfa?
Anyone?

Hold your horses there boys.

The competition disorganiser (AusDB) finished unloading the left over crap from his car at 11:30 pm last night,and he has to go away for work the next couple of days. By the end of the week, he will post here, and send an email out, with the final rules and a complete ingredient list.

But for those thinking about their recipes, I think that home roasting will be allowed, I think the super alphas were 11% and the NZ Hallertau were 7%. I also think that those hops are labelled the right way round, but feel free to sniff test and interpret accordingly!

Those that need to pick their goodie bag up from AusDB, send him a pm as you will need to get it this weekend if you want to get to it before the mice do, mouse poo is not an allowable ingedient in this comp.

Thanks Rob
11% AA Hallertau? More like 11%AA Super Alfa?
Anyone?

whoops sorry about that, i just recall glazing over at a box that had nz hops and 11% AA on it and assumed
it was the Hallertau.

pretty sure we didn't have a AA for the Goldings either.

The Super Alpha were 11%, the Hallertau were 7% and the Styrian Goldings were two different values. I'm a bit hazy here (like my beer) but I think one packet was marked 6.5% and the others 5%. Vlad & I did discuss it but by then we were very tired.

Bag & Tag!

I think I got all of the AG packs. Did anyone get a shot of the extract packs?

Cheers

Ben

Image032.jpg

Image034.jpg

I very disappointingly was unable to make it last night after looking forward to it all month .. I was required to work back late on an article deadline for Drum ...

So pissed I missed out on this :(

I very disappointingly was unable to make it last night after looking forward to it all month .. I was required to work back late on an article deadline for Drum ...
So pissed I missed out on this :(

Your bag of goodies is one of the ones under attack from mice in a shed. Send AusDB a pm to pick up.

whoops sorry about that, i just recall glazing over at a box that had nz hops and 11% AA on it and assumed
it was the Hallertau.

pretty sure we didn't have a AA for the Goldings either.

4.8% on one lot, 6.7% on the other, both '06 harvest. No idea on the supers and the hal, I'm going to hedge my bets and blend the two taking an average for the alpha. Styrians will be for flavour / aroma.

:ph34r:

i just caught this thread and may i say, "you guys rock!" :beer: :super:
can't wait to hear about the resulting beers.

OK from the Disorganiser himself, Thanks to the wonders of modern technology I have free wifi where I am staying tonight.

ALL GRAIN KIT
Each kit contains:
Kirin pale malt - 5 kg (search on 'Kirin' for specs)
Hoepfner Rauchmalz -~0.9-1.0 kg
Bairds Medium crystal (145 EBC) - 1.0 kg
Weyermann Carafa Special III (1200-1300EBC) - 0.25 kg
Wheat Malt - x 0.45 kg

NZ Super Alpha 06 - x 11%AA - ~110grams
NZ Hallertau 06 7%AA - ~110 grams
Styrian Goldings - 4.8%AA - ~60 grams (Gryphon Brewing, can you please confirm the AA rating???)
Yeast US05 - 1 packet

EXTRACT KIT
Pale DME - 3 kg
Bairds Medium crystal (145 EBC) - 0.25 kg

Inclusions for doing a Mini / Partial mash
Kirin pale malt - 1 kg
Hoepfner Rauchmalz -0.25 kg (could possibly be steeped?)
Weyermann Carafa Special III (1200-1300EBC) - 0.25kg (could be steeped for colour only)
Wheat Malt - x 0.45 kg

Styrian Goldings - 4.8%AA - ~60 grams (Gryphon Brewing Can you please confirm this???)
Yeast US05 - 1 packet

NOTE 1
Due to a slight lack of supervision and a large amount of enthusiasm both packs of NZ Super Alpha and NZ Hallertau were taken out of their respective boxes before anybody realised that the hops were packed in plain silver bags and the variety and AA rating was only marked on the box that they had come from. At this stage both packs were sitting next to each other on the table so nobody was sure what was what. A few members did a bit of a rub and sniff and a few even braver souls even had a chew on a few pellets and a consensus was reached as to which hop was what.

NOTE 2
For those who wanted the "Supersize" option we made sure that everyone who wanted a standard sized kit got one before making up the "Supersized ones". Your supersized kits may not have as much rauchmalz or crystal as the standard ones but you do have extra hops and yeast, PS please bring a few $$ to the next meeting to chip in for the extra ingredients, we know who you are!

Questions & Answers AKA THE RULES
YES, feel free to do whatever you like with the malt, whether it is roasting, toasting, stewing or feeding to your pet and then collecting the droppings ala the famed "Big Shit Porter" of a few Christmas case swaps ago.

Question from last night: Can we make two beers from our ingredient kit?
Well you can if you want to but it's a lot of work and make sure you choose your Best one to submit for judging as considering we have about 27 participants we will only accept one entry per brewer.

Question from last night: Do we have to use all of the ingredients?
Again yes you can but you don't have to if a dark, crystally, smokey, megaIBU beer is not your thing :). In the spirit of exercising your creativity there is no limit to HOW MUCH or HOW LITTLE of each ingredient that you use except with the following proviso: EACH OF THE INGREDIENTS PROVIDED MUST BE DISCERNIBLE TO THE AVERAGE PALATE IN EITHER APPEARANCE, AROMA, TASTE AND PROVED WITH YOUR GRAVITY / IBU CALCULATIONS

Question from last night: Can we use any other yeast?
NO and please no 'accidental' wild yeast infections

Question from last night: Can we use Sugar?
ONLY for bottle priming

Some questions I have just made up:
Do we have to submit our recipe with our beers?
YES see the Answer above about how much of the ingredients you have to use, with each entry you must submit a recipe detailing your OG, FG, batch size, calculated IBU's yada yada plus details of any extra things that you did. We can check if you have cheated :ph34r: plus we can also publish a recipe book for everyone after. Promash or Beersmith files gladly accepted.

How much Beer do we need to brew?
You will need to supply 4 x 750ml bottles for judging, your starting gravity is up to you. It would be nice if everyone had enough beer for an informal "People's Choice" judging / tasting session but that is to be decided still

Can you brew "Any" Beer?
YES "Any" beer as long as it fits into one of the many and varied BJCP categories

I will send out an an email at the end of the week to all club members, in the meantime if anyone has any more questions then please post them here and I will answer them in the thread.

A big thanks to our local brewshops, Gryphon, TWOC and Brewmart for their help in getting the ingredients together and also the others who helped out.

OK from the Disorganiser himself, Thanks to the wonders of modern technology I have free wifi where I am staying tonight.

ALL GRAIN KIT
Each kit contains:
Kirin pale malt - 5 kg (search on 'Kirin' for specs)
Hoepfner Rauchmalz -~0.9-1.0 kg
Bairds Medium crystal (145 EBC) - 1.0 kg
Weyermann Carafa Special III (1200-1300EBC) - 0.25 kg
Wheat Malt - x 0.45 kg

Styrian Goldings - 4.8%AA - ~60 grams (Gryphon Brewing, can you please confirm the AA rating???)
Yeast US05 - 1 packet

EXTRACT KIT
Pale DME - 3 kg
Bairds Medium crystal (145 EBC) - 0.25 kg

Inclusions for doing a Mini / Partial mash
Kirin pale malt - 1 kg
Hoepfner Rauchmalz -0.25 kg (could possibly be steeped?)
Weyermann Carafa Special III (1200-1300EBC) - 0.25kg (could be steeped for colour only)
Wheat Malt - x 0.45 kg

Styrian Goldings - 4.8%AA - ~60 grams (Gryphon Brewing Can you please confirm this???)
Yeast US05 - 1 packet

NOTE 1
Due to a slight lack of supervision and a large amount of enthusiasm both packs of NZ Super Alpha and NZ Hallertau were taken out of their respective boxes before anybody realised that the hops were packed in plain silver bags and the variety and AA rating was only marked on the box that they had come from. At this stage both packs were sitting next to each other on the table so nobody was sure what was what. A few members did a bit of a rub and sniff and a few even braver souls even had a chew on a few pellets and a consensus was reached as to which hop was what.

NOTE 2
For those who wanted the "Supersize" option we made sure that everyone who wanted a standard sized kit got one before making up the "Supersized ones". Your supersized kits may not have as much rauchmalz or crystal as the standard ones but you do have extra hops and yeast, PS please bring a few $$ to the next meeting to chip in for the extra ingredients, we know who you are!

YES, feel free to do whatever you like with the malt, whether it is roasting, toasting, stewing or feeding to your pet and then collecting the droppings ala the famed "Big Shit Porter" of a few Christmas case swaps ago.

Question from last night: Can we make two beers from our ingredient kit?
Well you can if you want to but it's a lot of work and make sure you choose your Best one to submit for judging as considering we have about 27 participants we will only accept one entry per brewer.

Again yes you can but you don't have to if a dark, crystally, smokey, megaIBU beer is not your thing :). In the spirit of exercising your creativity there is no limit to HOW MUCH or HOW LITTLE of each ingredient that you use except with the following proviso: EACH OF THE INGREDIENTS PROVIDED MUST BE DISCERNIBLE TO THE AVERAGE PALATE IN EITHER APPEARANCE, AROMA, TASTE AND PROVED WITH YOUR GRAVITY / IBU CALCULATIONS

Question from last night: Can we use any other yeast?
NO and please no 'accidental' wild yeast infections

Question from last night: Can we use Sugar?
ONLY for bottle priming

Some questions I have just made up:
Do we have to submit our recipe with our beers?
YES see the Answer above about how much of the ingredients you have to use, with each entry you must submit a recipe detailing your OG, FG, batch size, calculated IBU's yada yada plus details of any extra things that you did. We can check if you have cheated :ph34r: plus we can also publish a recipe book for everyone after. Promash or Beersmith files gladly accepted.

How much Beer do we need to brew?
You will need to supply 4 x 750ml bottles for judging, your starting gravity is up to you. It would be nice if everyone had enough beer for an informal "People's Choice" judging / tasting session but that is to be decided still

Can you brew "Any" Beer?
YES "Any" beer as long as it fits into one of the many and varied BJCP categories

I will send out an an email at the end of the week to all club members, in the meantime if anyone has any more questions then please post them here and I will answer them in the thread.

A big thanks to our local brewshops, Gryphon, TWOC and Brewmart for their help in getting the ingredients together and also the others who helped out.
Styrian Goldings pellets are 4.8% AA (Lab tested) as mentioned.Free WIFI luck Bast...d.Stuck in some 5 star resort I bet.
Gryphon brewing

NOTE 1

While we might have been a bit random I can confirm that once we made a decision about which hop was which, we were then consistent with EVERY pack, and so if it is wrong, it is wrong for everyone.

Please book early for digestion space on the three hounds, as they are currently working through my 5 kg.

As long as we dont have to get past Tony Ms taste threshold on the smoke malt.

PS Nice pics RandyRob

Mine's done. Just gotta get it outa the fermenter in ten days.

Quick Roll call here, it would appear that one of the extract kits went AWOL.

So can everyone who attended the meeting last Monday night please send me an email or pm with your real name and how many kits you picked up (if you took one for someone else) and whether they were extract or AG.

This is what I remember
I took 4 x AG kits for Myself, Goat, Big D and Facter and 1 x extract for Randall.
I think Thunderlegs took 4 x AG kits, 2 for himself and the club pres. and his brother in law.
Pretty sure Kai grabbed 1 x Extract
Asher took 2 AG for himself and few for BigAl's mother of all brew systems

Mine is blooping away merrily as I write this. My MacGyvered minimash system wasn't quite up to the task but I got there in the end :party:

Mine is blooping away merrily as I write this. My MacGyvered minimash system wasn't quite up to the task but I got there in the end :party:

If only MacGyver wasn't straight edge, I bet he'd be the best homebrewer the world had ever seen.

Latest posts

Back