West Coast Brewers: Iron Brewer 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rule check - don't we have to use all of the ingredients?

You have to use EACH ingredient but you DO NOT have to USE ALL of them, I thought I made that clear :blink:

I think a stewards meeting may be called and red card awarded to that old Goat, unless he does a quick minimash to sort things out. WestOZBrew maybe yours and GL's will be similar!!!

Ummm, OK....

I took; "Q: Do we have to use all of the ingredients? A:Again yes you can but you don't have to if a dark, crystally, smokey, megaIBU beer is not your thing" to mean that you don't have to use it if you don't want to !

Oops - I'm feeling a little blonde (lucky me!)

Oh Well, I'll just have to drink it instead. Maybe I'll 'dry malt' the comp bottles - I'm not putting smoked malt into 20L of otherwise perfectly fine beer !

Ummm, OK....

I took; "Q: Do we have to use all of the ingredients? A:Again yes you can but you don't have to if a dark, crystally, smokey, megaIBU beer is not your thing" to mean that you don't have to use it if you don't want to !

Oops - I'm feeling a little blonde (lucky me!)

No drama's Goat if you took your info from GLs post then there was a bit of selective quoting going on, the whole answer to the question was:

Again yes you can but you don't have to if a dark, crystally, smokey, megaIBU beer is not your thing :) . In the spirit of exercising your creativity there is no limit to HOW MUCH or HOW LITTLE of each ingredient that you use except with the following proviso: EACH OF THE INGREDIENTS PROVIDED MUST BE DISCERNIBLE TO THE AVERAGE PALATE IN EITHER APPEARANCE, AROMA, TASTE AND PROVED WITH YOUR GRAVITY / IBU CALCULATIONS

I thought the bit at the end cleared it up :blink:

Oh Well, I'll just have to drink it instead. Maybe I'll 'dry malt' the comp bottles - I'm not putting smoked malt into 20L of otherwise perfectly fine beer !

Goat
There is no reason you couldnt get away with not using all the ingredients. Once the judges taste my 10% smoke malt 10% crystal, 1700 IBU beer, there is no way they will be able to tell if you used 0% or 1% smoke malt. So submit it anyway and see how it goes, and we will pretend we didnt see your posts above.

Oops.

Ausdb - there's nothing selective about it. I just took it on face value - as I read it. I'm not trying to be a smart arse with the rules. I just read those posts and thought that I understood the arrangements.

Of course I read the next part of the post and in the context of whole post understood it to mean that IF you chose to include an ingredient it had to be discernable - which seemed pretty abvious.

Oh well, I'll put it in the comp anyway - it doesn't worry me if its disqualified, at least it forced me to actually do a brew.

Oops.

Ausdb - there's nothing selective about it. I just took it on face value - as I read it. I'm not trying to be a smart arse with the rules. I just read those posts and thought that I understood the arrangements.

Of course I read the next part of the post and in the context of whole post understood it to mean that IF you chose to include an ingredient it had to be discernable - which seemed pretty abvious.

Oh well, I'll put it in the comp anyway - it doesn't worry me if its disqualified, at least it forced me to actually do a brew.
It's all good fun not trying to have go at you :)

I've been delaying my brew because I'm a lazy ******* I want to ensure maximum freshness from my brew.

No worries Asudb. Sorry - my post there sounded a bit more 'front foot' than I was really intending.

The full horror of my misinterpretation is only now becoming apparent though! I don't care about my stuff-up, its the 26 odd entries (except GL's and mine) ALL with a "discernible" taste of Smoked Malt... Bloody hell, I think I'll be doing my nails that night !!

I'm heavily into development of a 'Dry-mash' and will be trialling it on the requisite number of bottles for the entry to meet the criteria. Not even sure if I will boil it - just do it fresh on the day before the meet.

I've been delaying my brew because I'm a lazy ******* I want to ensure maximum freshness from my brew.

Does that mean you'll be entering the "fresh wort kit" category?

Don't give me ideas!

I'm just having a slow start to my year brew wise, I'm right on the verge of doing my first. You can't hurry these things.

Don't give me ideas!

I'm just having a slow start to my year brew wise, I'm right on the verge of doing my first. You can't hurry these things.
I'm with your Barfridge, it's bot being judged till December. That means there is plenty of time to knock out a "Smoked Mild" between the November and December meeting!!!!!

Well, mine's bottled. Primed low to suit a high FG and extended conditioning time, and remembered to include several longnecks.

I'm liking it. Looking forward to tasting a few others over the next couple WCB meets.

Well mine is done, it's a bit shit, but at least it's not something I bought from a shop.

Did anyone else have clarity issues? I think I should have done a protein rest, it's a bit murky. I don't think it's the yeast, there was a tightly packed cake at the bottom of the fermenter.

Mine was clear as a bell, but it's only an extract entry.

Surely a few other of you guys have brewed their IB'07, are we still in agreance that the hops were labelled correctly?

i plan on using up my 'leftover' hops just don't wanna put super alpha in say a hefeweizen and blow 5 hours brewing.

Rob.

Well mines not brewed yet I like my beer fresh
I believe there is still some conjecture as to what hops were what!

I took the easy way out; blended the bittering addition and averaged the alpha.

I used the styrians for bittering and added all the rest at the end, so still hard to say. But I made another lager using some left over super alpha I stole out of AusDBs fridge while he was out, used it as a bittering addition, and it tastes like the IBUs have come out right, so I reckon they are the right way round.

Edit: I should point out that adding 300 g of hallertau/super alpha at the end of the boil gave me bugger all flavour and aroma, so dont expect too much from them in your hefe.

Latest posts

Back