Weird Stuff On Surface Of Wort At End Of Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a hefeweizen on the weekend and wasn't sure that the wort should look like it does in the picture below. (This is only my 6th AG and first AG hefeweizen)

As you can see, there is a clear film on the surface. Not too apparent from the picture is that there was lots of floating gunk (including long strings) which half a tablet of whirlfloc didn't drag down.

Should a wheat beer look like this at the end of a boil? (Could it be due to all extra proteins in wheat??)

FYI - The recipe was 50% Wey pils malt and 50% Joe White wheat.

gallery_2743_249_692677.jpg

Looks like proteins to me. More likely with wheat beers (though other beers can have the same). Should be fine though a dozen of the finished beers sent my way would be fine. :lol:

Some chicken and sweet corn should fix it. :lol:

Other than that it has the right amount of "stange look" for a wheat beer. All good! :)

Warren -

I agree, it looks like protein. I get scum like that on some of my beers, but there's no correlation with the use of wheat malt. It will turn out fine.

.....Now that I think of it I get scum like that when I don't boil hard. In other words, when the kettle doesn't get to a very vigorous rolling boil. How was your boil?

.....Now that I think of it I get scum like that when I don't boil hard. In other words, when the kettle doesn't get to a very vigorous rolling boil. How was your boil?

Sounds plausible to me. The boil was not consistently vigorous and I ran out of gas half way through the boil. Of course I added extra time to the end of the boil to compensate.

Should be fine though a dozen of the finished beers sent my way would be fine

I wasn't going to bottle so I'd better send the keg over... ;)

Thanks newguy, Stuster and Warren for your advice. I NC'd it and it smelled great when I did pitch it into the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back