Weird Bubbles In Secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrayr

Reaction score
went to bottle a batch today and noticed these weird large bubbles as pictured. still smells and tastes fine, was just a little curious as to what they are and if it could mean trouble.
cheers, murray

thing_001.jpg

thing_002.jpg

Bad res photo but to my mind the first looks like krausen dying down.

The second looks like old micrographs I used to draw in art school. Hard to say - if it tastes ok it's either ok or it's ok for now. Quick. Drink it.

Think i may be an acetobacter infection. Maybe. I've had this on a beer before when I left it out for a dicetyl rest too long in too much heat. Filtered from under the scum and the beer was OK, though I noticed a slight sourness creeping in towards the end of the keg. If you're kegging, do it now and drink it fast, if bottling, I'd be very cautious where you're storing your bottles to carb up.

Cheers

also, that was from the secondary, it was in there for 4 weeks in the fridge at a stable 16 degrees.

and it is a beer i bottled and was planning to leave for at least 3 months

Could also be from oxidation when racking to secondary. Had this a few times when I racked, so only ever primary and filter these days. Try to reduce splashing, and/or flush the secondary vessel with CO2 prior to racking.

Cheers

i've racked to a secondary many times before and never experienced anything like this. i use tubing that sits at the bottom of the fermenter so theres no splashing whatsoever.

That certainly does not look promising unfortunately.

However if it tastes fine, then I would get it into the keg and drink it asap!

I hope we are wrong and its a winner.

Looks like acetobacter to me, in early stages. Over time it will continue to grow, and will slowly convert your alcohol to vinegar. If you can, drink it fairly quickly, as it will get weirder tasting the longer it is kept.

I had this happen to a doppelbock I was going to store for a year, but I ended up pouring it out on the lawn as I didn't want to risk it getting anywhere near my kegs or other equipment.

This is a good part of the reason I don't do secondary fermentation anymore, it is safer IMHO to leave it in the one fermenter for the whole time, then rack off to keg or bottle.

Crundle

One of the reasons for not transferring to a secondary. Next time leave it in the primary fermenter until you're ready to bottle.

Cheers Ross

Acetobacter, while being ugly to look at, doesn't dramatically affect the flavour for a month or two after bottling/kegging. If you are desperate for beer go ahead and drink up. It won't hurt you and you won't even detect any effects in the earlier stages...

Not sure transferring to secondary should really be considered the cause. Sure it adds another possible way of introducing infection but it could have just as easily happened in primary. All you need is one stray vinegar fly and you're buggered. Its more about bad luck than any issues with sanitation.

Murrayr

Probably a stupid question but are you covering both your vessels when you transfer? Probably a logical place to start.

Where's Pint of Lager who always gave the sanest advice in these situations? POL virtually never posts anymore... Can't think why.

Warren -

Where's Pint of Lager who always gave the sanest advice in these situations? POL virtually never posts anymore... Can't think why.

Warren -

Maybe she gave herself a bit of that sane advice?? ;)

yeah warren, i put the lid on the fermenters and run the tubing through the airlock hole.
does seem i may have to consume this beer somewhat sooner than i had hoped. thanks for your clarification guys.
cheers

Latest posts

Back