We Thought Australia Was Too Bureaucratic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smacks of insider trading really. Nice to read a reaonably well written news report that is actually news and isn't affraid to give the Bureaucrats some factual low blows.

Nice find Wabster.

Unfortunately Qld isn't to dissimular in arcaic and out of date (read irrelivant) laws.

Somewhat farcical, especially for a small army of cops to raid the bars, and it does stink of sour competition. No doubt they'll find some of the beers are unregistered, and the rest will rot before being returned. Pity the owners, but in the alcohol industry it's vital to dot the i's etc..., there are always monkeys around who ruin it for everyone else ( http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/articl...93221_news.html )

I'd expect any import license for alcohol to retail should automatically include the license for onward sale, given they have allowed the stuff into the country in the first place. This nonsensical bureaucracy isn't surprising though, given it is still illegal to brew beer at home in several of the United States! Poor Americans :rolleyes:

I am going to wear a black armband for that Pliny The Younger. May I request a minutes silence please.

This one seems to be causing a bit of a stir. As OTT as it is I thought Andy Crouch's comments on Jay's Beer Blog put things into perspective -

"Not to be intentionally contrarian, but Im having trouble getting too worked up over this whole PLCB/cop raid situation. At least one of these bar owners acknowledges having run afoul of the law by procuring a keg from outside the state and driving back to their bar and putting it on tap. Putting aside the issues of whether brand registration is a meaningful regulation and who share bear the financial burden for offering/selling products that are not registered, these bar owners likely know that several of these brands, especially the one-offs, are not registered in the state and that they are therefore violating the law in selling them. There is certainly an argument that the theatrical nature of the raids, from the undoubtedly one-sided reports weve been hearing, was over the top and that governmental (and certainly police) priorities could likely be better placed elsewhere. And there is room for criticism where the police confiscated beers whose names are somehow slightly altered from that found on the states lists. But these bar owners know how heavily the beverage alcohol business is regulated and they well know the rules in Pennsylvania and theyve cleared flouted them on occasion."

http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/phillys-beer-police-state/

Latest posts

Back