Way Of Minimising Fusels?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Rider_22

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Had a bit of lax temp control for a couple of days at the end of my fermentation. It was just a simple Morgans QLD Bitter tin with bit of DME and little bit of dex. It fermented about 20-22 for 6 days down to 1021. I have my fermenter in an old fridge that still works but never could keep things very cold, even when turned up. So what I do is get my wort down to pitching temp, pitch the yeast and leave the fridge on for 2-4 hrs and this get the inside temp down to 15ish. I leave the fridge off over night and start it up before work off a morning and it hovers around 20-24, even on these hot days. I took a gravity reading on Friday arvo and it was at 1021. Knew I had a big weekend and wouldn't be around the place so I thought I would turn the fridge right down and just leave it on til the morning. Did that and ended up accidently getting the internal temp down to 14. The tempstick on the fermenter said 20 so it would be fine. Anyway I totally forgot about turning the fridge back on until Monday arvo. I remember it and was dreading what temp it would be. The shed it's stored in gets very hot and when the fridge isn't on it heats up and turns into a sauna. When I got home that day and check it out the temp was at 36 on the thermometer inside and something around 34-36-38 on the stickon thermometer. :eek:

My heart sunk and I thought I may as well take a gravity reading and taste. It reached final gravity of 1010. Had a taste and could definitely a stronger taste which I assume would be fusels. Wasn't too overpowering but definitely there. So I thought it's done I will turn the fridge on and right up to start cold conditioning for 2 weeks. Well today I went out for a taste as I thought it mightn't seem so harsh and strong if it was cold. To my disappointment it's worse. <_< It's a "warmish" or "alcoholic" taste and feeling.

Anyway, it's cold conditioning and after 2 weeks in there it will go into a keg and condition for a month. Is there anything I can do to counteract or minimize the taste of the fusels.

Thanks! :p

wtf; don't waste our time with these posts - get yourself a fridge controller... 94 post's in????

QldKev

yeah temp controller is definately the way to go in the future - I got one on ebay for cheap. alternatively you could buy one of those powerpoint timers for about $10 at bunnings and set it to turn on every 4 hours or so for a set amount of time. I think its probably too late for the one that's already fermented. Sometimes the fusels are ok but definately not a session beer (my fusel abundant beglian golden is real headache material) unfortunately I don't think they mellow with age as much as the rest of the beer.

wtf; don't waste our time with these posts - get yourself a fridge controller... 94 post's in????

QldKev

Yeh I've got the point and learnt from my mistake. Was simply asking any ways to drive off the fusels and I thought I may as well provide the whole story so a heap of questions regarding temp etc weren't directed at me.

I probably should have got a fridgemate before now but not knowing how to wire them up has thrown me off and up until now my for of temp control has worked fine. Just through my own stuff up I fermented to high.

Sorry Aur_rider my response was a bit rude. Your a decent man for the way you responded.

Try ebay, sometimes you can get them ready wired up, often they are under different categories like for hatching eggs etc. Otherwise get a local elecy to look at it, don;t think it should cost that much.

I don't think there is any reasonable way to remove the fussel taste

QldKev

wouldn't help too much, but might take the edge off of it...

either dry hop a shite load of hops in there (think US like Cascade or Amarillo, etc) or get yourself a plunger and make a hop tea.

The idea here is lots late hopping to try and help mask the unpleasantness.

Cheers,

Brendo

Back